Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, i found a 1987 Toyota Celica All-Trac model. Has 50k mileage on the engine and is selling for $2200. Should i bargain it down to 1900? this is a pretty fast car right? but i heard the suspension and turbo arent that reliable though..and it sucks with gas! opinions?? opinions?? thanks!!

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
What you heard is wrong.
As long as the maintenance is kept up, it is a very reliable car.
It won't be quite as good on gas as a reg Celica, but unless you drive it hard, it gets pretty good mileage.
My 92 gets ~ 30mpg hiway. I'm not really sure in the city, depends on how I drive it.
It's in CA I take it?
The 87s are really rare. You don't see many at all. I didn't even know there were any in the US.
How many miles are on the chassis?
Any rust? [That body tends to rust a bit on the moonroof and rear fenders, so be careful].
If the car is in excellent condition, $2200 isn't bad, but it never hurts to pay less if you can. :D

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
alltracman78 is right. I personaly have a 1988 Alltrac (ST165) and they are great cars to do drive (as long as your keep up with Maintenance) I drove mine all year round and had no problems.

Edward.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's most likely an 88 model.
The 87's were "narrow-body" (ie: no body kit) available in Japan.

But in answer to your question, yes, thay can be reliable daily drivers. Just make sure to do all regular maintenance on them first. Remember, it's almost an 18-year-old car.

·
Registered
2000 Celica GT-S
9 Posts
yeah its horrible..just an awful car. but whatever u do dont give dr tweak his number...give it to me so i can tell him off about what a rip off his car is

seriously though i want an all trac. i saw one parked at fridays last night (black 5th gen) i was drooling..lol TRD wheels and the liscense plate was TRD USA.

coulda have done w/o the blinking corner LED's but hot never the less

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys, i have emailed him. this is what he said...

"... the engine was swapped out for a jdm 3s-gte motor by speed factory. its the same motor that came with the car. the car runs fine. its been in no accidents. clean title. ill try to get pictures of it asap. thanks."

so yeah, im guesing this is a new engine with only 50k put on it. but imma wait for some pix. I'll keep you guys updated. thanks!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
asianmoomoo said:
...."... the engine was swapped out for a jdm 3s-gte motor by speed factory. its the same motor that came with the car. the car runs fine. its been in no accidents. clean title.....
Well, not exactly the same motor. The JDM one doesn't have the EGR valve on it so you may have to mock one up to pass the visual part of the smog test in California. Not a big deal tho...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.