Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The officer told me to go to court in October, but I really don't want to go to court. I would rather want to pay the fine and avoid court date. I mean how was I suppose to know the speed limit around I-285 is 55mph. So I call the lady and she tells me that if I avoid court date I might lose my licence. I just started working on my car and DO NOT want to lose. What should I do? Up for any options?:disappoin

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
No no no no. Here we always go to court. If you go to court you have very good chance of not getting any points on you license and not making your insurance go up. You may get "Probation Before Judgement" which is a helluva lot better than paying a bunch of money and making your insurance go up. Plus the cop may not show up and you get off COMPLETELY. If you were hardly speeding then the cop may not even come. You always go to court. Watch how the judge handles the other people and that will let you know what to say. I never say "not guilty" because they are almost always on the cop's side.

·
ooSnip3r Halo2!
89 Corolla GTS
187 Posts
make the court date...then when it comes up...re-shedule....for better chances that the officer dosnt show to the next date....your off clean and free....thats a good idea though about going to other court dates...I've never been to court either...but I just got a ticket and Im gonna fight it.....but I have no idea what Im getting myself into...I sure hope that dude dosnt show.....worst of all I was going maybe 70k in a 50 and he sayed he estimated me going 95....wow...were estimating crimes now huh......"well bobby I estimated that you killed sally...you going to jail!!" fuckers!

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
dont mean to be so rude but stop being such a pus*y cat and get your ass to court ,they will just make you pay half of that fine and tell you to go to driving school ,:lol: i been there done that.
good luck:D

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
dude...if this is your first offense, GO TO COURT. you'll save your ass the severity of the fine.

were there any points?

oh yeah...by the way...you're supposed to know the speed limit of your state's major highways...if you don't, take this as a suggestion to go slightly slower than the flow of traffic till you see a speed limit sign somewhere.

how bad was the ticket?

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Hmmmm.... I have a court date for today! Haha. Definately always go to court. I was only going 11 over in a 30 zone, so there's a good chance since it's my first offense that I'll get off easier. Unfortunately the cop station is within 200 yards of the town hall :mad: so there's not much chance the cop won't show.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Go to court...don't just take the points on your license...by paying the ticket you admit gilt and recieve the points...

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Went to court today for my ticket.... Watched a defensive driving video, and was let off for my 11 over ticket. I'm 16, but this was my first offense, so the judge let me off with no fine, nothing reported to insurance, no driving school, and no court fees:D

Interesting side note though, a 16 year old a few cases before mine was going 64 in a 30 zone, was cited for wreckless driving, and the judge let him off with defensive driving school. Either a really nice judge, or he's very lucky.

You should always atleast go to court for it, most likely the judge will make the punishment/fine less or none at all.
Good luck to all ticket fighters!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Contact the district attorney's office and ask for the assistant DA handling traffic. Tell them you'd like to keep this from affecting your insurance. What they may offer is to commute your ticket to a non-moving violation. It would go on your record but would not affect your insurance.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I've defended numerous tickets for tractor trailer drivers that used to work for me (they're the worst cuz they're big targets with deep corporate pockets...and the one's my company hired were right outta Communist block countries where it's a free-for-all).

Watching most court rooms in NY, PA and NJ I noticed that everyone in the USA "HAS" to go to court. The police officer has given you a Summons To Appear and if you don't respond/appear in court, then you are found guilty "in absentia" and they put out a warrant for your arrest. So suck it in and go to court. It's a friggen joke because the town get's every $$ - they don't usually care about the points and slap on the wrist...they just want the $$. Usually when you appear in court to respond to the Summons (ie: plead guilty or not-guilty), if you plead not-guilty, they give you a court date in the future. If you plead guilty, then they ask for your money and it goes on your record.

That said, on a first offence is was common practice for the court to permit or allow traffic offenders to go to traffic school. I think it's a couple of hours in a classroom and then the ticket is either dropped to something like a parking ticket - sometimes a very expensive parking ticket ($100 for mine in NY ;)) But then you don't lose demerit points, and there's no impact to your insurance, etc. Consider it your first and last "get outta jail free" card.

I recommend that you go to court and discuss the matter (before court starts) with either the charging police officer...or the prosecutor. Tell them it's a first offence and that you'd be open to going to traffic school for a reduced/eliminated charge (they'll know because they may pull your drivers record/abstract).

If you're a student (and can bring some proof), they might even reduce the charge. Play the pauper card. It works. Dress appropriately...leave the jeans and t-shirt at home. Show the Court some respect and you'll be surprise how they return the favour. Watch how the Prosecutor speaks to the judge. Use the same terms he/she uses. If they refer to the judge as "your Worship" or "your Honour", then do the same.

GL

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
DAMN , i knew posting on this thread was going to be bad luck 1 hour ago i just got a damn ticket for not wearing a seatbelt :mad:
and that pig even towed the car untill tomorrow then i can got get the car back BUT............. lucky it wasnt my car:p: it was my brother 73' nissan 240z :lol: went to court 3 times this month for traffic and its a pain in the ass waiting and wait and wait until your turn ,unless you can drive fast enough so you can be the first one there in line ,but im warning you "drive at your own risk":lol: dont wanna pick up another ticket...unless you carry a dozen of donut with you , you just might< be able to get away. GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

·
&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&
2,727 Posts
hate to say it...but you deserved to get pulled over for no belt.

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
I've had 3 speeding tickets. 2 weeks ago I just sucked it up and bought myself a radar detector. Saved me twice already. Good to have if speeding is a habit.

·
2,727 Posts
bluedemon said:
didnt know you cared;)

well...look at it this way...whose life are you putting on the line? yours, first and foremost. i'd not like to hear about someone from this board dying from his own foolishness.

for your own sake, buckle it up dude.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Go to court.. I did, I had 2 tickets.. one for following too close and the other for 40km over the speed limit. I told the crown attorney I wanted to plead guilty to a lesser charge on both tickets.. he tells me "I can't do that sir, but if you plead guilty to one of the tickets, I will drop the charges on the other one." hmm... lets see.. $110 CDN for following too close, or $295 CDN for 140km/h in a 100km/h zone.... :D After they sent me the conviction, I only had to pay $40. :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
hmm how about this. one weekend in arundel county i got a $275 ticket for 86 in a 50 and the cop said that it was 5 points but i should go to court and the judge might drop the points.

the next week i got a $75 ticket for 71 in a 50 in ocean city.

then yesterday a state trooper got me on rt 50 right before i got on the bay bridge on the way home $140 for 81 in a 50...

should i go to court for all of them and plead guilty? ive never done this stuff before. i mean what should i say and what should i expect? i was thinking maybe go to court for the big ones and not the 71...?

considering i usually drive 80-90 and sometimes 100+ it wasnt bad. this is all in the corolla.

im worried because i have no idea what to do!!!

either way i need a valentine or whistler or whatever.

·
2,727 Posts
lol...hey man. didn't expect you to pop on here tonight.

those are pretty bad tickets..get a Valentine, for chrissakes!!

and yes, for the love of all that is good, GO TO COURT FOR THEM.

but my next question is...if that's your avg speed in the Corolla, what's your normal speed in the FD??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts