Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of a Tundra TRD PRO. But then realized I probably wouldn’t use it for it for its intended purpose. I don’t off-road. I wanted something more reliable to tow the car and boat. Also use it to haul items too big for the car like stone, appliances, etc.

Background: I have a Ridgeline. But the auto trans went at 100,000 and at 209,000 it is starting to slip again. So, while I was thinking of the Ridgeline Midnight edition, I am thinking I may be too close to the 5000-pound towing capacity.

So now that I changed my mind, I went to see what Toyota offered. I was asked if I needed leather seats and a moon roof. Both of which I DON’T need. The dealer recommended the Tundra SR5 TRD Blackout.
I am coming here to the experts with questions. I am considering new only because this this isn’t available near me used. The new 2020 seems to have some new improvements, Like the 38-gallon gas tank.
  1. Anyone go to the dealer and negotiate? Are they taking off the list price? The difference between Edmunds dealer cost and MSRP is $4,000.
  2. How well does you truck tow?
  3. Your gas mileage? Real life is sometime different than stated specs.
  4. Competition to the Tundra that is reliable. Remember I don’t “off-Road” so I don’t need a Raptor or Chevy Colorado ZR2

Any comments welcome

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A close friend had Fords, 2 actually. The husband had a diesel (he is in construction) and the wife had a gas F-150. They had both engine and transmission issues. I have had a few Corolla's in m time. They were all the most reliable cars I have ever had. The GTS went to 275,000, the 2006 XRS had 250,000 before someone texting hit me from behind and totaled it. My new (used) 2005 XRS had 165,000 and had been reliable except for the starter. Having said that, I will check and see when years their Fords were (are). I think the husband still has his, the wife gave up on hers and went to Jeep. Maybe quality has improved.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you want the best looking truck buy the Ford. If you want the latest and greatest comfort features and tech, buy the Ford. If you want the best fuel mileage, buy the Ford. But if you want the most reliable truck(by far) and the best resale then buy the Tundra. The more fancy options, the more issues

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,283 Posts
Just depends on what you want, I have no plans on getting a Tacoma but what I want in a Tacoma is basically that I don't want or have a need for the cool TRD upgrades and computer assists. SR or SR5 Long Bed Access Cab V6 (I4 maybe) I believe were the ones that fit me the best and my (current) needs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Tundra was ordered and Toyota called to say it was built. It should be here end of Jan, beginning of Feb. I considered Ford. The Raptor was a fortune. I'll post a pic when it arrives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts