Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, this is my first post!
I have a 1998 Camry 2.2 with a manual transmission. Recently i did a terrible thing that i later learned was a known rookie mistake.
I messed with the throttle body stop screw. not only that but i also messed with the TPS sensor.
Does anyone know what i could do to set the stop screw correctly? There is no paint on the nut, and i have not found any answer on the internet.
Same goes for the TPS sensor (3wire), what should its voltage be at idle? Maybe a real kind person could have a look on their own Camry and relay me the information :)
Stay safe!

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,075 Posts
I'd recommend Haynes manual for above info. Toyota Camry (1997 - 2001) Repair Manuals

The TPS uses a 5 volt signal but only really goes to about 4.5 volts at full throttle open and about 1 volt closed throttle. However you use an OHM meter to set the TPS. You'll also need a vacuum pump and feeler gauge to set both the TPS and throttle stop. I recommend an analog meter with sweep needle as they are faster acting than a DMM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a vacuum pump, is it used to retract the "dashpot"? Because i can retract that one manually. And i believe that i cant set my Tps by ohm´s since my is a 5speed and the tps works differently?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,075 Posts
I dont have a vacuum pump, is it used to retract the "dashpot"? Because i can retract that one manually.
The dashpot can't have any effect on the throttle position stop, however you want to do that.

And i believe that i cant set my Tps by ohm´s since my is a 5speed and the tps works differently?
How would it work differently? Ohms is just to set the on idle/off idle position. All vehicles I have had with TPS used Ohms. If you spend the $25 to get the manual it will explain, and you'll have the manual for other fixes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dashpot can't have any effect on the throttle position stop, however you want to do that.

How would it work differently? Ohms is just to set the on idle/off idle position. All vehicles I have had with TPS used Ohms. If you spend the $25 to get the manual it will explain, and you'll have the manual for other fixes.
Since my tps never reads infinite Ohms i just thought that i should set it by voltage instead, seems much easier. Also my tps only has 3 wires and i havnt found any guide on how to adjust it correctly. I have a repair manual but it only covers the 4 wire tps. I think the 3 wire sensor doesnt have the "idle swich" wire, and i think the "idle swich" wire only exists on automatic vechicles

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,075 Posts
I rechecked my FSM and indeed to set the TPS position I connect IDL and GRND to Ohm meter. What you have is 5 volt power, ground and signal pin. I would think that using an Ohm meter to connect the power pin and signal pin you'd get the open/close point of the potentiometer, which should be an ECU signal to go to the IAC. Otherwise you'd have to back probe the connectors with the key on "run" to read volts, or use an alternative 5 volt signal.

The manual I referenced should contain the instructions for your vehicle and type of TPS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took off the Tps and measured the Ohms. All the way closed (not on the car) it shows 0,3 ohms. All the way open it shows 3,64 Ohms. It never shows infinite ohms
I dont have money for a manual at the moment

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,075 Posts
Before you can adjust TPS I'd think you need to set the proper throttle stop adjustment. Without a manual you'll just need to trial and error both throttle stop and TPS.

Get the TPS to a point where the ECU commands the IAC. That will be a very fine line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive been trying for a long time sadly, im hoping someone on here could have a look on their own car and maybe count the threads/measure their stop screw. After that i just need to find the right Tps voltage
Its alot to hope for, but its worth a shot :)

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
1,013 Posts
Near as I can tell, on the side opposite the head of the stop screw, 7 threads on my '94.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
1,013 Posts
The stop screw goes into a threaded hole. Part of the stop screw passes completely through the threaded hole in the lever and protrudes on the other side. The best I could, I counted 7 threads on the protruding part of the screw. Does that make better sense?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that makes me understand it better. My screw was sticking out 7 threads to the opposite side, so i got a bit confused. thanks alot, will check mine again out when it stops snowing outside :)

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,075 Posts
Near as I can tell, on the side opposite the head of the stop screw, 7 threads on my '94.
The part making contact with the throttle "lever" you mean?
Going by my FSM: 1. Apply vacuum to dashpot
2. Check that there is NO clearance between throttle stop screw and throttle lever when throttle valve closed.

For TPS adjustment you'll need a .60mm (.024) feeler gauge between throttle stop screw and throttle lever. Mine actually works a little differently as the FSM pictures don't match my setup. But I've always been successful.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,508 Posts
Greetings, this is my first post!
I have a 1998 Camry 2.2 with a manual transmission. Recently i did a terrible thing that i later learned was a known rookie mistake.
I messed with the throttle body stop screw. not only that but i also messed with the TPS sensor.
Does anyone know what i could do to set the stop screw correctly? There is no paint on the nut, and i have not found any answer on the internet.
Same goes for the TPS sensor (3wire), what should its voltage be at idle? Maybe a real kind person could have a look on their own Camry and relay me the information :)
Stay safe!
Got a P&P handy that you can go get an unmolested TB cheap?
W95c

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a P&P handy that you can go get an unmolested TB cheap?
W95c
I have looked for a used TB but Camrys are not that common in sweden, and the ones available go for a bit too much. I will try for a bit more before i buy one :)
But i sent a message to a person who is selling one, and he said that the stop screw sticks out 3,6mm towards the lever wich is like 4 threads. And since that TB comes from a swedish car and is of the same year with a manual gearbox i think ill try and go with that to begin with. So now the stop screw is set at 3,6mm.
But now how the hell do i find the correct setting for the Tps? it reads 0,59volt at idle right now. and using a feeler gauge doesnt do anything since this 3 wire Tps never shows infinite ohms = idle?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,075 Posts
If this were me and I could not buy a manual, I would Ohm the power and signal pins, turn the TPS until zero Ohms then reverse turn until the meter just registered a reading. If no point with zero Ohms then just set TPS to max resistance, which would be smallest volt output. Test drive and adjust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If this were me and I could not buy a manual, I would Ohm the power and signal pins, turn the TPS until zero Ohms then reverse turn until the meter just registered a reading. If no point with zero Ohms then just set TPS to max resistance, which would be smallest volt output. Test drive and adjust.
It never goes to 0 ohms :/ i can adjust the volt from 0.5V to about 0.7V on idle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts