Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start driving my Camry, I sometimes here a single clunk sound, usually about 5 to 15 seconds after I start driving the car. When it happens, it always happens just once per time. I brought the car in to a dealer and we drove around (stop, turned off the car, start it back up and start driving) several times and I couldn't get it to repeat when he was in the car.

Anybody ever hear something like this and if so, what was it? I'm going to bring my car in (since it's under warranty) and would like to give them some useful info instead of them chasing this sound.

Kramer

·
Toy-rollin
Corolla
34 Posts
this happens any driving condition? every start? or just on cold starts? any specific mph? have you paid attention to your a/c system if its on?

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's normal. ABS is brake checking to ensure your brakes are working fine. Happens every time you start your car and pass a certain speed. I think 7 mph?

EDIT: Actually, not every time I think. Probably every few hours if you haven't started your car for a while. Definitely happens in the morning when I park my car over-night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this happens any driving condition? every start? or just on cold starts? any specific mph? have you paid attention to your a/c system if its on?
More so on cold starts than warm ones. And I haven't paid attention to my AC but it has happened in both winter and summer (of course, I'm located in S Cal so winter maybe gets down to the low '40s...) As far as MPH, it most often occurs when I'm going between 3 and 15 MPH.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's normal. ABS is brake checking to ensure your brakes are working fine. Happens every time you start your car and pass a certain speed. I think 7 mph?

EDIT: Actually, not every time I think. Probably every few hours if you haven't started your car for a while. Definitely happens in the morning when I park my car over-night.
Well, this is good to hear. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think 11LE got it right. It's the ABS unit going through the self-diagnostic check. The noise is from the pump motor and the four solenoid valves that control pressure to the brake calipers during ABS operation.Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 and it happens at 10 & 20 mph ALL the time regardless if the engine is warm or cold!
I get the clunk on my 2011 (just like the video) BUT I also get a rubbing sound short lived 3-4 seconds but still a rubbing sound...still the ABS? took it to the dealer and of course nothing noted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

I joined this forum just now.

I have the same problem with my 2010 Toyota Camry. It makes a clunk noise every time I start the car and move from around 7-14 mph speed to above, below the car engine and towards the front bumper.

The noise is very loud, unlike the sound in you tube video in this thread. It repeats every time I start and move. Even after a gap of 10/15 minutes. No issues and no sound once after the first noise.

Went to the dealer like 3 times. And they said it is due to the ABS actuator, and ABS is checking the all 4 tires. I have no clue, why all other brand cars with ABS don't make this clunk noise, where as only Camry does it. And am so frustrated when the repair technician say the noise is normal. The noise is so irritating and very loud as if breaking a thin metal piece.

I drove corolla, prius, camry hybrid, yaris, matrix. None of them made this kind of noise.The dealer ship swapped the ABS actuator with a new Camry in the lot. Looked good for few days and story repeated again. Jeez....

Thanks,
Sam

1 - 20 of 31 Posts