Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you can see that I'm new to this forum, but I have posted on other forums before. Anyway I am a proud owner of a white 07 Yaris hatch. I love the car for what it is, affordable, roomy, and fuel economical (been measuring the fuel economy, so far so good...). Anyway, I just noticed something when I was driving with the radio off. I hear like a very light tapping sound coming from the engine. I was trying to isolate what that sound may be and I noticed that the sound only comes when I accelerate or tap or floor the gas pedal. Call me crazy, but I have a theory that it might be the VVTi kicking in. If you know what it is please let me know...I don't want to live with the fact that something is already wrong with the car I just bought...Lastly, nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
561 Posts
ThaiPharm said:
Hi, as you can see that I'm new to this forum, but I have posted on other forums before. Anyway I am a proud owner of a white 07 Yaris hatch. I love the car for what it is, affordable, roomy, and fuel economical (been measuring the fuel economy, so far so good...). Anyway, I just noticed something when I was driving with the radio off. I hear like a very light tapping sound coming from the engine. I was trying to isolate what that sound may be and I noticed that the sound only comes when I accelerate or tap or floor the gas pedal. Call me crazy, but I have a theory that it might be the VVTi kicking in. If you know what it is please let me know...I don't want to live with the fact that something is already wrong with the car I just bought...Lastly, nice to meet you all!
Holly CRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP thaipharm :D you Worded that perfectly that is exactly what is going on with my Yaris now that I think of it :hammer: do you guys think that could be unaligned pistons if that makes any sense :confused: and if not is Thaipharm right is it the VVTI kicking in

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
ThaiPharm said:

From my limited knowledge VVT-i is always on, meaning its continuous, there's no lift. Now for VVTL-i there is lift (i.e. Corolla XRS, and Celica) both discontinued. So VVT-i you won't hear a difference, sure your car will hit peak tourque and horsepower like other cars such as a surge in power but that's not because VVT-i kicked in. VVT-i is a well rounded effecient system that helps engine breathing, for power or fuel economy. So it gives you economy when you want it, and power when you need it.

Here are some links to explain better. Now Toyota is encorporating Dual VVT-i, which is on intake and exhaust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you are talking about...VVTi is different from VVTL-i, like Honda's iVTEC and VTEC. I know that VVTi is continuous and works exponentially like a curved graphed (phasing) compared to VVTL-i which kicks in at certain rpm. But I wanna know is does it still kick in if the throttle is applied constantly, meaning you're cruising at a constant speed, thus your foot is on the gas at a constant position. When I floor it or jus nudge while cruising, I hear the tapping sound from the engine. Anyway, if you can answer that I would be grateful. And stuts...Freaky how that works out for both of us. :lol:

·
Registered
226 Posts
im hearing the same tapping noise in my 20V, but its mostly at idle. almost sound like a tappet engine. i hope its nothing to worry about

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I pop open the Yaris's hood, I can also hear the valve tapping away at idle. But, while inside, the noise is gone. My old 98 Civic also used to have a somewhat pronounced valve noise which didn't effect the engine's performance. Or if it did, it did so in a positive way, cause I never did encounter another Civic that was faster while packing the same engine (of course, drivers play a big part).

While on the move, it's the exhaust or intake noise that'll register, never the valve noise.
If you're getting a tapping noise while accelerating, the first thing I'd want to check is the engine bay for any loose object that's close or touching the fire wall. I doubt the noise is coming from the engine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pars said:
If I pop open the Yaris's hood, I can also hear the valve tapping away at idle. But, while inside, the noise is gone. My old 98 Civic also used to have a somewhat pronounced valve noise which didn't effect the engine's performance. Or if it did, it did so in a positive way, cause I never did encounter another Civic that was faster while packing the same engine (of course, drivers play a big part).

While on the move, it's the exhaust or intake noise that'll register, never the valve noise.
If you're getting a tapping noise while accelerating, the first thing I'd want to check is the engine bay for any loose object that's close or touching the fire wall. I doubt the noise is coming from the engine.

" I can also hear the valve tapping away at idle."

you hit it on the head for me Pars :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The One Who Posted This Is Not Wrong At All! I Have A Camcom Vvti Controller...ok Its True That Vvti Doesnt Do Lift Like Vvtli Or Vtech But When I Installed The Controller I Programmed The Cams To A Higher Rpm Range(i Didnt Do It By Myself I Got Some Help From Friends Who Knew The Controller)now When I Hit 3500 I Feel A Little Difference In My Car's Sound And When I Hit 5200 My Scion Xa Souns Deeeeeppppp And Way Louder Like Vtec I Know I Dont Have Vvtli But U Defenetly Hear The Vvti Not Kicking But Helping! Thnks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Btw I Have A 1nz 1.5 Liter With 103hp,intake,full Exahust,vvt-i Controller,celica Fuel Pump,injectors,perrin Fuel Rail,act Clutch,no Spare Tire Lol And Im Running Pretty Nice..there Is No Vtec Civic Who Beat Me Exept For The Si's Well I Have Beaten Some 04,05 Si But Not The New Ones I Mean 197hp Mmm Its Just Too Fast!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I totally agree :cool:
thats the only bad thing about that engine!!MM BUE I DONT KNOW YOU BUT IM RACING CIVIC SI FROM 95 TO 2005 AND IM BEATING THEM BUT WHEN I WAS STOCK I WAS BEATING ALL SINGLE CAMS ON THE HANGOUT JEJEJE LOL MY SCION GOT FAME AS THE CIVIC KILLER LOL.WHAT ABOUT U?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts