Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought i was going over a pile of snow but it was snow covering a pile of dirt and rocks.

i heard a metal clang and looked underneath i hit a small rock.

left a small ding at the front of the oil pan.

i dont see any leaks, should i replace it? the pan seems to be easy access, nothing in the way of it.

Would it be ane xpensive repair?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bumper

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Just continue driving.

Oil pan is "relatively" cheap; $50-ish non-OEM, $100-ish OEM.

If you keep the car long enough, you will have to drop the oil pan to replace the oil pan gasket. This will be the time to replace the oil pan w/ a new non-OEM or OEM pan. OR, you could just continue to reuse the dented oil pan. Remember, the oil pan is a thick gauge steel.

·
Registered
2016 AVALON XLE, 2016 ES350
149 Posts
i thought i was going over a pile of snow but it was snow covering a pile of dirt and rocks.

i heard a metal clang and looked underneath i hit a small rock.

left a small ding at the front of the oil pan.

i dont see any leaks, should i replace it? the pan seems to be easy access, nothing in the way of it.

Would it be ane xpensive repair?

View attachment 365608
Clean it off and paint with rustoleum flat black.

·
Registered
2015 Highlander Limited Platinum
435 Posts
The risk here is that changing the shape of the pan could alter the engines oiling system. If the dent is in a place that could have moved the pick up tube you must replace. If the dent has caused a shift in the entire pan (as opposed to a little dent in the side) I personally would replace.
If you keep it I recommend a good self etching primer followed up with the black paint of your liking. If I were painting it I would either use high temp grill paint or Rustoleum professional semi gloss because those are what I already have kicking around.

Good luck.

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
Yeah, my first concern was if that blocked or tilted the oil pickup tube.

If the tube problem was the case, I'd think OP would have found out by now. So I don't think that's a problem at this time - such as a blocked tube or tilted tube that caused air suction leaks at the gasket.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, my first concern was if that blocked or tilted the oil pickup tube.

If the tube problem was the case, I'd think OP would have found out by now. So I don't think that's a problem at this time - such as a blocked tube or tilted tube that caused air suction leaks at the gasket.
how would u know if this pipe thing would be effected? like would u hear something different or a wanring light popps up?

·
イリジウム
14,751 Posts
If oil tube was obstructed, sure you could get a low pressure light, grinding noises from lack of lubrication and such.

But if the tube was affected, I don't think the engine would be running by now. Besides, as others too had mentioned, the pickup tube is further back, and I don't think it was affected by the scratch location but that would have been my first concern if the pan is damaged in any way. How deep is the dent anyway?

Of course, for peace of mind, you can also drop the pan and put in a new aftermarket one (or hammer out the dent). And if you do, you should be able to see the state of the oil pickup. And if fellow members and myself were correct, you'd still be fine.

Here, this video is on a Camry, but should give you some ideas. As you can see the pickup tube is a good way back. But if you get a dent in that area, that's when you need to be careful.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts