Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im new here but i do have some questions...............I have a 2000 Toyota Camry CE w/ a 2.2................where do i need to start performance wise.................I know and intake and stuff but i dont know which is the best for my car............so i just need to know what is the best intake and what should i do about exhaust, i have heard it has to be custom i dont know for sure.................basically where is a good place for these types of parts on the internet..............thanks for everyones help and advice in advance.....................i hope to be talking to everyone more after i start my build up........

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,917 Posts
Start here:

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
some keywords for you to search for - intake, ram air, exhaust, 5SFE (that's your engine code).

As far as where to get the best prices for these parts on the internet, I hate to say this, but the import tuner magazines (Import Tuner, Sport Compact Car, Super Street, Modified et.al) would be your best friends, since when they're not busting nuts over the latest 97-01 Civic or Integra parts or lying to those owners telling they can drift an FF car, or bashing Camry tuners (modified from May or June letters), they have hundreds of Ads for import shops with websites that'll sell the parts you're looking for.

·
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
no prob r.

another resource on the board would be the stickys at the top of the forums, especially the Camry sticky, since most (if not all) of every idea you may have for modding your ride has a link or a post to match.

For you and all other noobs, best way to not get the search button or flamed is to ask "How Do I..." not "Can I" or "What is available." We have a lot of knowledge on the boards about what you can do, but how to do is not often discussed, and those types of questions will expand our collective knowledge pool.

(Off my big-brother tangent)

·
Grenaded piston
6,612 Posts

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
rfinger said:
basically where do i need to start................and what is the best intake
No intake is a good intake. The all cause power loss. Read any intake thread in the Camry forum and you will see that I point it out a lot. But just as reference again....

HKS High-Flow filter for $220.
Power Change: 8hp -1.4tq
And 8hp is the biggest hp gain I have really seen.

$220 to lose torque. I think it's worth it:thumbdown

·
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
keep your stock box, buy a K&N or TRD filter, and fabricate an exhaust system (ie catback or buy an ebay muffler and better piping).

Also tune up your engine, think about some headers, better spark plugs and wires, upgrade your electrical system to drain your engine and alternator less, buy a supercharger, build a turbo system, buy some raceeng.com parts for 5SFE engines (look for MR2 or Celica GT 94-98) or engine swaps.

Mad potential for power boosting, but do some research on this forum (ie. search), read articles from the mr2 and celica forums, buy a few import magazines with Celicas and MR2 articles in them, look at the websites for people selling parts in those magazines, and, most importantly: MAKE A PLAN and SET MONEY ASIDE for when something breaks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
duece i'm not doubting your knowledge here but has the Kand N even been proven to be a better filter ? I haven't found an articles that they didn't paid for that says that they are better.

·
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
i only say k&n because TRD filters are rebadged versions of them. My logic figures that if TRD sells it, they did the research and won't necessarily snow its consumers - lest it lose its credibility.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Fram makes some stuff I would personally not buy. Going to pass on the Airhog for a while. Tried and true, a certain red, surgical gauze, oiled filter is what I use.

·
Super Lurker
260 Posts
Ugh. Fram. Don't even get me started. I know its the timeless excuse for not using their products, but it is valid : cardboard endcaps on the oil filters. Enough said. I will never buy a fram product or recommend them as long as I live :D . But yeah, honestly havn't heard anything about the airhog, but I doubt it could make much a difference compared to a K&N. Would probably be more wise to go with the tried and true filter.

-xtychx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts