Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving in a neighborhood today and come to a turn that I take a bit too quickly. There was snow on the ground and the car kept going straight. When I saw that it wasn't gunna stop, I steered back into the straight position to avoid snapping my wheel off (happened to a friend of mine). The front left wheel hit the curb and climbed it.
Here's the result

and

sorry for the quality, it's my cell phone's camera. Anyways I don't see it leeking any air but how bad is this.

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Thanks, too bad labour kills in Canadian Tire

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Why are you going to Canadian Tire in the first place? ;)

Make sure your front end alignment isn't out of whack also.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
actually.....that's nothing that a good sledgehammer can't fix....I'm serious....then go get it balanced, and with something that small, it'll be fine, especially if they're just for winter

my 17s that I use for winter- all 4 were dented when I hit an island about 2 1/2 years ago...one finally cracked last year when I got my winters mounted, hunted down a new one, and now I'm still running on 3 dented rims- they make the car shake a bit at certain speeds, but nothing extreme at all

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,647 Posts
If your alignment is off get that checked out.

the same thing happend to me a year ago in my Gen 5, i was going down a hill and couldnt stop and i went right into a curb and spun around.

My rim had a huge gouge in it, looked like your rim but mine was actually CUT and split the metal, my tire deflated.

My alignment was off by like a whole turn of the wheel. I took it to my mechanic and turns out i broke the wheel bearings, CV joint, and i tihnk the axle was bent or w/e you call the thing that goes from the tranny to the wheels.

$1200 at a Toyota dealership, but my mechanic did it for $500 :D

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
if that is jsut a steal wheel with hubcaps on it do like Eye*Pussies said and beat it back into postion as much as possible with a sledgehammer. get it balanced and check the alignment.
If it vibrates after balancing and all then replace it.

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went for a drive. I don't think the alignment was affected at all, lucky me. And yes these are just steel wheels so am not caring much. Thanks for input

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
519 said:
I just went for a drive. I don't think the alignment was affected at all, lucky me. And yes these are just steel wheels so am not caring much. Thanks for input
Maybe not when you drive it. Doesn't mean that alignment isn't out. Mom's Altima had a camber problem - bad enough that it caused significant inner tire wear - but not enough to visually notice and not enough for you to feel when you were driving.

Either way, it's good maintainence.

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^Hmmmmm makes sense. Alright then, to shop I will go.
Oh yeah and to straighten the wheel out. Do I need to remove it from the car or just take off the hubcap and go hammering at it?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
519 said:
^^Hmmmmm makes sense. Alright then, to shop I will go.
Oh yeah and to straighten the wheel out. Do I need to remove it from the car or just take off the hubcap and go hammering at it?

you have to take it off the car....or else you'll end up damaging even more things on your car...

and wheel bearings for sure.....but you'll hear it if it's going out on you, and you can see your wheel move when you try to move it around...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i did almost the same thing last winter my hub just died at 227km and i still use the same wheel seems fine without any issues

Personally id just check things out and keep an ear for the bearings dieing. i wouldn't be too woried about it

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
you should be fine, I did the exact same thing in my gen 3 my fisrt winter when i got my liscense, threw two new refurbished steelies on it from a junkyeard, had it alligned and she was good to go. you should be fine, just have it checked out;)

·
Rockin the STi
MR2 Turbo
1,557 Posts
sounds like a lot of you need practice driving in the snow ;)

luckily you didn't mess your car up that much, but should still get it all checked out and up to par for the rest of winter.

·
Custom User Title
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol it's my first winter driving. I think am doing better than a lot of the people I see on the streets though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.