Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Leave No Trace
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.
I am looking at buying a 2000 4x4 with 273k miles.
Mechanically and visually it looks like it's been well taken care of. New upper control arms and bushings replaced. Otherwise all the other bushings look good.

What I need to know is what I need to look for and what should have been replaced like timing belt or other things. Smog problems that come up for the older year and so on. Rust in places, anything.

How long does the motor have life left in it when taken care of? Electrical problems in it's old age?

Thanks

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,785 Posts
Hello all.
I am looking at buying a 2000 4x4 with 273k miles.
Mechanically and visually it looks like it's been well taken care of. New upper control arms and bushings replaced. Otherwise all the other bushings look good.

What I need to know is what I need to look for and what should have been replaced like timing belt or other things. Smog problems that come up for the older year and so on. Rust in places, anything.

How long does the motor have life left in it when taken care of? Electrical problems in it's old age?

Thanks
I talked to several owners a few years ago and the O2 sensors always were mentioned.
If possible plug in a scanner and check for stored codes.
Harder on brakes than the T100's.
Like anything it's all about the previous owner(s) and their driving and maintenance habits.
A Carfax report might be helpful as well as looking online for recalls or Service Bulletins that may have been issued but not repaired.
Ask the same question over on the Tundra Forum.
https://www.tundrasolutions.com
I like that gen of tundra but my T100 has always been so good to me I can't let go. Let us know what ya hear! Good Luck!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,580 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

One of the issues with the first gen Tundra trucks (and subsequent years as well) was the frame rusting out. You'll need to do a very thorough job of inspecting the frame. I've also seen where a seller had puttied over the rusted spots with house putty and spray painted it black. So be on the lookout fer any evidence of "repair" work or rust underneath the truck. ;)

I recall the early transmissions (prior to 2004) had an issue with grenading regardless of the mileage. ;)

Electrical problems will crop up if the wiring harness has been tampered with or compromised. If the frame has been replaced, chances are that most of the fasteners will not be attached to the wiring harness to attach it to the frame. If the harness isn't attached, stress will eventually cause some electrical gremlins that aren't common to the age of the truck. ;)

·
Registered
'14 4Runner Trail Ed
515 Posts
Echoing some of the other posters:

Frames WILL rust out if the truck lived in the rust belt or near the ocean.
Engines seem to run forever. My '02 has 284K and still runs great.
Transmissions do NOT run forever though. Mine was replaced in late 2017.
Make sure everything works as it should: AC, heater, windows, gauges, etc. Check ALL of it.
Shocks don't seem to last long either. My truck is on its 4th or 5th set.
Most importantly, what was the truck used for? I would avoid any "work" trucks. Mine was a commuter.

·
Leave No Trace
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is great info. Thank you very much!
It was mostly a daily driver and a used on the fire roads and desert rocky trails. It lived mostly in Riverside CA. It has a 3" suspension lift with RS-9000 shocks. Everything works on it. Ill need to look for rust though. For the frame rust, does it start inside of the frame or ?
I think it's been through some water crossings. No water residue inside I looked. It will be going to the East coast, what can I do to help stop the frame rust?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts