Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Ok heres the deal,
I just replaced the transmission in my truck (1981- 22r) with one that was very close in year(1982) I figured that everything would bolt up and fit in there just fine. Go figure it didn't. Anyway The only problem that I am having right now is that the clutch linkage in side the transmission is different on the 82 that I just got done putting in. I had to have a friend help me with it and it was a real pain in the @$$. Needless to say that I really don't want to drop that thing again just to throw in a different clutch linkage setup. The linkage on my old one was just a clutch fork that pushed forward on the inside of the tranny and engaged the clutch. It was pushed by the slave cylinder that just pushed out a little rod. Any help at all would be incredibly appreciated. Let me know what you know. The inside linkage on the new one that just got put in there is different I put my hand inside and I feel some kind of rod in there that has a round end on it. I am hoping that there is just some plate or something that I can throw in there that will hook up to my existing slave cylinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what to do. Thank you very much for any help.. links..... suggestions... anything at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was able to take some pictures of the inside of the tranny, let me know if that will help anyone. I really need help on this one. Thanks-Sampson

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres the new one....

If this looks familiar to anyone please let me know what it reminds you of. Like I said on my last transmission the inside of it looked like a simple one piece clutch fork. I will post a picture of that one shortly. Anyway here is the picture of the new one that I do not know what it came out of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is the type of clutch linkage I am used to

this is the type I am used to seeing. Any help or suggestions at all is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,
Does anyone have a picture of the clutch fork inside a 5 speed transmission. I think that if I saw a picture of that and how it was held in it would help me out a lot. I need a picture of the spirngs and how they are holding it in. Thanks-Sampson

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
501 Posts
The clutch setup for the 5-speed should be the same as for your original. The shop manual for the '85 shows the same type mechanism as your second picture. My guess is that you will have to pull it apart to make the change. If you have your old bell housing, and it fits the new transmission, that could save a lot of hassle. Is the hole in the bell housing for the clutch mechanism the same as the old one? Just curious--since the clutch linkage is different, does the spline on the transmission shaft match your clutch? If you have to take it apart, you might want to change the throwout and the pilot bearings if you didn't before (assuming the clutch is in good shape). That might save taking it apart again too soon. good luck.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Not entirely sure from the first blurry picture, but it looks like you are missing the fork. It kinda looks like what you see in there is the pivot ball that the fork is supposed to ride on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man do I feel stupid right now

Yes my friend you were right. I noticed what it was when I pulled the clutch fork off my old tranny earlier today. I felt dummer than I have ever felt in my life. LOL. I was both relieved when I figured it out and pissed because I didn't realize it earlier and because I absolutely have to drop the tranny again. Thanks for your help alltrac. It is good to know that if I wouldn't have figured it out this morning I could have relied on you. Thanks-Sampson

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone havea pic of how the clutch fork is supposed to go in there with the springs. I have found two ways that it fits in there. I am just not sure which one is the right way. Thanks-Sampson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts