Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Relax, guy!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have a cell, I usually just use my brother's whenever I need it, but now I've got a bit of extra dough due to my generous tax return :)D) and I'd like my own, since I always have to fight him for it. Basically, I know nothing about cell phones and would just like a good basic phone and a decent 1-year plan.

Some details:
- I don't spend a lot of time on the phone, so 150 minutes or so per month would be more than adequate
- Companies must have good coverage of the Mississauga/Oakville border area to the downtown core

Can you guys help a brotha out?

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,583 Posts
If you only use 150mins/mth consider getting a Pay and Talk plan. I'm a lite user like youself. For years I subscribed to the cheap plans that gave me about 150-200 minutes. After taxes, lic fees, my $25 plan came out to over $40!! I hardly ever used my minutes up either. It pissed me off and I felt I was literally throwing my money away yet I still wanted the convienence of a celly. I switched to Pay As You Go with Telus and love it! It suits my call habits and it only costs $10/month.

The way the plan works is you load up your phone with a $50 card in order to get the cheapest rate of $0.29. This rate is then valid for 60 days. If you don't end up using up all the minutes you get to carry them forward provided you renew prior to expiry. The cool thing is that you can buy a $10 every month from that point on and keep the low rate while keeping your unused minutes. Another great thing is you can hook up a credit card to your phone and establish an automatic purchase plan so that you never have to worry about remembering to load up the phone. During periods of heavy use, just deposit more into your acct instead of the bare minimum. If you quickly do the math, $50 @ 0.29=172minutes. So even if were willing to pay $50/month it's almost the same as a monthly plan. The good thing is you get to keep the minutes you don't use whereas with a monthly plan, those unused minutes get erased.

The only negative with this is the slightly higher initial cost to get started. The phones are usually at full price.

I found that this is the most cost effective plan for ppl that use their cell phones less than 200min/mth. Anything more than that, you should just get a monthly plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts