Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on a fixed income. My 2001 Avalon needs rear struts. My friendly neighborhood shade tree (but damn good) mechanic gives me a decent rate, fortunately. After looking at parts cost vs labor cost, it looks like my best bet is quick struts. I'd like to keep the ride and ride height as close to original as possible, but have to keep the cost down. A mechanic on Reddit swears by OSC quick struts, but Rock Auto says they're Economy. Monroe RoadMatic are also listed as Economy. A brand listed as Original Ride Quality is FCS. Prices are ranging from about $55-65 US each for these brands. I can probably go up to about $80 each plus shipping if I have to, but lower's better. If you have experience with brands and models in my price range, please speak up. There's no point suggesting one that's $120, like some I'm seeing. There's just no way. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,688 Posts
I'm on a fixed income. My 2001 Avalon needs rear struts. My friendly neighborhood shade tree (but damn good) mechanic gives me a decent rate, fortunately. After looking at parts cost vs labor cost, it looks like my best bet is quick struts. I'd like to keep the ride and ride height as close to original as possible, but have to keep the cost down. A mechanic on Reddit swears by OSC quick struts, but Rock Auto says they're Economy. Monroe RoadMatic are also listed as Economy. A brand listed as Original Ride Quality is FCS. Prices are ranging from about $55-65 US each for these brands. I can probably go up to about $80 each plus shipping if I have to, but lower's better. If you have experience with brands and models in my price range, please speak up. There's no point suggesting one that's $120, like some I'm seeing. There's just no way. Thanks for your time.
I doubt you'd be disappointed in the Monroes. Might consider a Gabriel. The others I have no experience with. If nothing else heres a source to look at for reference etc.
I.E Gabriel G56932 Rear Left Ultra ReadyMount Complete Assembly - Shockwarehouse.com

·
8,169 Posts
I was very happy with Quick Strut on two vehicles. Highly recommend.
Also, they are VERY quick to install. That should save on labor costs.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
231 Posts
I can tell you the quickstruts ride well, I’ve already warrantied 1 at 9 months old, bad upper strut mount-r/front, now the l/front has a bad upper strut mount. A lot of people said install factory Toyota strut mounts, I bought them for the front, I also bought a pair of kyb struts for the front, if all goes well I’m going to do the rear, they have had noisey upper mounts almost immediately after I did them. The springs, bellows and spring seats, I intend to reuse, the struts themselves ride well, the noisey mounts are the problem. They only seem to last a year to a year and a half.

·
01 Avalon 298k, 04 Avalon 150k
01 Avalon 320K 04 Avalon 160K
55 Posts
I have not read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat. Quick struts are safer for the worker, so def go with them. (At least that is what my mech told me).

You may need both. I JUST replaced my 2001 (313K) last month (all 4).

He got me ones for $65 each. I can check the brand - Atlas, but i don;t know if that was the brand, or the parts store

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not read all the posts, so forgive me if I repeat. Quick struts are safer for the worker, so def go with them. (At least that is what my mech told me).

You may need both. I JUST replaced my 2001 (313K) last month (all 4).

He got me ones for $65 each. I can check the brand - Atlas, but i don;t know if that was the brand, or the parts store
Yes. Please let me know the brand and if you're happy with the rear quick struts height and ride. Thank you.

·
8,169 Posts
There is no quality complete strut assembles for $65. Unless you go ebay and take major chance. Unfortunately, this is one of those cases when you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is no quality complete strut assembles for $65. Unless you go ebay and take major chance. Unfortunately, this is one of those cases when you get what you pay for.
I said I could go up to about $80 plus shipping. That gets me into Monroe's Quick-Strut line or Gabriel's Ultra ReadyMount line. That's just what Rock Auto carries at that price point. I'm getting mixed reviews back on Monroe's Quick-Strut line. Do you know any brands of quick struts from any source you'd recommend for $80 plus shipping or under? KYB keeps getting recommended, but they don't do a quick strut for my model. Thanks.

·
8,169 Posts
I will not touch Gabriel or Ariel with long pole. That's all I can say.
I see Monroe QS for 78 EACH plus shipping.

Price: $78.80 & FREE Shipping

On Amazon. I'd buy those.
I had my share of cheap or unknown companies, this is why I buy either Monroe, KYB (too stiff), Tokico or Bilstein. That's it.

Also, as they are VERY easy to install, can you look around and maybe find a buddy with tools and hands growing out of shoulders, so that he can get them done for you for some friendly reward? I'd install them for you if you were local to me. They are cakewalk to do.
Unfortunately, you will have to do alignment after. You will lose your camber.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will not touch Gabriel or Ariel with long pole. That's all I can say.
I see Monroe QS for 78 EACH plus shipping.

Price: $78.80 & FREE Shipping

On Amazon. I'd buy those.
I had my share of cheap or unknown companies, this is why I buy either Monroe, KYB (too stiff), Tokico or Bilstein. That's it.

Also, as they are VERY easy to install, can you look around and maybe find a buddy with tools and hands growing out of shoulders, so that he can get them done for you for some friendly reward? I'd install them for you if you were local to me. They are cakewalk to do.
Unfortunately, you will have to do alignment after. You will lose your camber.
I've got a guy to do the installation. His labor rates are good, but labor rates vs parts cost are why I'm going quick struts instead of a bare cartridge. I need the back ones, but know the Monroe Quick-Strut line you're recommending. They are in my price range, but some people are saying they're great, some crap. I'll look into Tokico and Bilstein. KYB doesn't do a quick strut for my model. Thanks.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,362 Posts
[RE:]the Monroe Quick-Strut line you're recommending. They are in my price range, but some people are saying they're great, some crap. .
Our 03 XL came to us with a goobered rear strut. Our shop put the lower cost Monroe quick struts on. They are noticeably stiffer than the originals, but then, the ones that came off were the originals, 14 years old, 91K miles. The 03 is happier on curvy roads than my 01 (original struts, 66k miles) and I'm pretty sure that's due to the Monroes.

They aren't finely tuned and they are the same ones for similar year Camrys. Because they are mass-market, they will be engineered for vanilla handling -- that is, they are designed for what Monroe engineers think most Camry owners will want. But then, since my wife and I are Avalon demographics (pushing 80), we won't be entering our cars in SCCA races or track days any time soon...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've gotten more info from several professional mechanics on Reddit. OSC's line of quick struts are made in a factory that KYB used to own. KYB has apparently changed what country they've made their struts in. Another twist is at least some Gabriel struts are made by KYB. This was discovered by mechanics recognizing the similarities, removing the Gabriel label, and finding KYB stampings and part numbers underneath. I'm still getting as much hate as love for Monroe's original ride quality Quick-Strut line. I've now heard all good reviews from mechanics and buyers of OSC and FCS quick struts. Nobody regretted them. The ride, height, and durability reports are more consistent than what I'm hearing from Monroe or others in my price range. If I go bare strut I'll go KYB. It all depends on the final numbers my mechanic gives me. I'm also thinking about the existing springs having 198000 miles on them.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
231 Posts
You may as well go with the Osc or fcs, the Monroe struts are good for a year, then the mounts will be noisey. I replaced my front quick struts today with oem mounts and kyb struts, I reused the Monroe springs, it’s perfect. I’m gonna do the rears in a month or so, same way, I have quick struts in the rear also, they were noisey almost immediately, you won’t be as disappointed because you bought economical struts, I’d try to buy a 3 year or more alignment, I’ve saved some money like that already, after the rears I’m going to have it realigned. I just had it done a month and 1/2 ago after the lower control arm replacement.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts