Toyota Nation Forum banner

I need help please!!

1411 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  kamesama980
Hi I just bought a set of 32" bf gr offroad tires for my 91 pickup. I put them on and on my way home my truck started jumping so I pulled over to find that on my rear drivers side wheel all the lugnuts were gone and the wheel was barley on. I checked all my other nuts and they were loose too could they loosen themselves from the vibration of the big tread or my friends air gun wasn't good enough? Also now on that wheel there is a scraping noise could I have damages my drum? I would really apperciate any answers or thoughts thanks a lot Ross :confused:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
all u used was n impact gun to tighten the nuts? shoulda used a torque wrench or atleast used a ratchet and made it hand tight....

· Registered
91 toyota pickup
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the vibration from the tires probably wasn't it I tightened everything by hand nice and tight I'm kinda worried about it. What would u recommend torque for the nuts there 32 on 15" American racing rims

· TOYsRus
11Tundra Limited TRD
144 Posts
if the tires where balanced and the wheels are not warped...
No, tire rotation even with large deep tread will not cause vibration above normal and surely not enough to loosen lugs.

I have only seen one or two guns ever mess up to the point they would have no TQ like that, I almost bet the air compressors PSI had dropped or something along those lines, or human error and forgot a tire or two.

Glad you caught it, check the threads on the studs to make sure they are not stripped then put new or the old if you have them lugs on, tighten and go, you were lucky.

· Registered
1993 toyota pickup
680 Posts
if you just puit aluminum rims on at the same time i could be that. i know veicles ive had with aluminum rims rwquire you to tighten em a bit after a few minutes of driving and check it petty regularly afterward. just a thought. also dont trust that set up again. buzz em on with a compressor then really yard on it with a good ratchet or breaker bar or tire iron

· NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
33" BFG's on AR rims. Never had that problem but I always used my own guns instead of a mechanical one.

· Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,591 Posts
1. make sure you have the right torque on the lugs. always always always use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs, not an impact. you will either get them too tight or too loose. by a lot. those of you who think otherwise shouldn't be telling the car newbs
2. make sure you have the right lug nuts for it, tapered seats vs flat seat.

always check the lugs after a few miles. especially on new rims

your buddies impact gun could have also tightened them so far that the studs stretched releasing the torque you so carefully applied letting the nuts back off. I only say it cause I've seen it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.