Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with my lift since day one. (06 Tacoma Access Cab) I have a local 4x4 shop install the lift. I having problems with vibrations coming from the passenger front tire. I'm at the end of my rope. I'm getting ready to return the truck back to stock. I checked the tire balance and alignment. I looked even at the possibility of it being the drive shaft. I all checked good. I had Toyota dealer look at it and they could not find were the vibration is coming from.

So, last night I thought that I would just check to see if all nuts and bolts were torqued right. Guess what? The three nuts at the top of the passenger shock were very loose. I printed the "Removal and Install of the Front Shock Absorber" I had the OME 884 coils install. I noticed another problem. From the picture you can see that the coil lower ends need to be facing the back of the truck.

On my truck the RH lower end of coil is facing to the front of the truck. Not sure if this makes a difference. Could this be causing my vibrations? Was the coil installed wrong? When I confronted the installer he try to tell me that shop manual was wrong.:confused: I got appointment with Les Schwab in the morning. I'm going to have them look at it. If it is install wrong I'm go to have them remove the strut and reinstall it. This $hit is driving me nuts!!!! I have researching to see if I could find someone with same type of vibrations. I could only find one or two people with what sounded like the same problem, and none of them have got back to me.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
COuld you be more specific about the nature of the vibration? Is it a continuous vibration, i.e., it happens all the time when you drive? Or is it sometimes, like when you turn, or when the spring compresses. Does it only occur when starting from a stop, at certain speeds, etc.

If you can be as specific as possible, that'll help with the diagnosis. Good idea taking to another shop to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vibration is like a hum. It hums for about a second, then stops for about half second. You can feel it in the steering wheel and foot petals. Everyone who has been in the truck when it happens has said something about it. It happens around 35 to 45 mph. Once you are at highway speeds it goes away and when you return to city speeds after highway speeds the hum is gone. The will go away after the truck has been driven around for a little bit, almost like warming something up and it settles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same problem. At about 40mph, it starts to sound like there is a intermitent rub (kind of like yourtire is rubbing something, only real slow or like your running over those little groves in the side of the road) It is alos comming from the driverside front tire area. Like you, I checked to see if everything is tight and adjusted properly, but I have had no luck. I am starting to believe it is the axle to that tire. If I switch to 4 wheel drive, it will stop. So, I am gonna have to rip the whole front suspension off, and reinstall I guess to figure this out. I just hate to waste 3 hours doing something, that might not even fix the problem.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Based on what you describe, it sounds like it could be some type of rubbing - like maybe you're having minor contact between the tire/wheel and something else? Ride height and camber can change at different speeds, so it's possible that the position of the suspension at that speed causes some contact to occur that does not occur at other speeds.

Have you tried raising the front of the vehicle, and spinning the tire at high speeds?

You could also check those metal shields that are around the brake disc. Maybe it got bent, and is too close/rubbing on the brake disk?

Just throwing some ideas out there. Sounds like a very odd problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
screeber, base on what you had said, I took a second look. Here is what I found. I'm going to mark it with some green paint and see what happens. Thank you for your input. If this is problem then I owe you a beer....:D

·
Registered
'06 4dr 4x4TRD
81 Posts
donnyb,
The same humming noise presented itself about a week ago on my truck. I have also not been able to figure it out.I have been thinking that it was being caused by the tires themselves since I have not had an allignment done. Well, I'm ending my procrastinating ways tomorrow when I have the allignment done. We'll, see after that. I did go out and compare your picture to my truck and the nub on mine doesn't appear to have been rubbing. It is definitely not clean like yours.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drove the truck around for about 40 miles. The green paint is still there, so back to square one. And my luck continues now the ball joint on same side as the vibration is leaking along with one of joints on sway bar connector. Lucky me....:argh:Now the good news!! The dealers going to fix it....

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Hey Donny Could you give me more info?
4x4 or 4x2? I'm assuming 4x4 because of the ball joint?
Stock tire and rims?
Ride height of your truck? Ground to bottom of fender through the hub of the front wheel.
Also other than the coils what else did they add? The more info the better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
toku58 said:
Hey Donny Could you give me more info?
4x4 or 4x2? I'm assuming 4x4 because of the ball joint?
Stock tire and rims?
Ride height of your truck? Ground to bottom of fender through the hub of the front wheel.
Also other than the coils what else did they add? The more info the better.
Its a 4x4 trd off-road. Stock rims and tires Height 37 1/2", 884 coil, diff drop(add today), Add-A-Leafs made by Alcan Spring, rear shims. Thanks for looking.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
That's a tough one Donny? I can't see how the lift can be the cause of your problem? Because all it is; is a longer spring? That should not cause any vibrations.
Your problem sounds like a driveline issue?
But since you stated that your alignment and tire balance was correct?
I had a honda that had bad front axles which would cause a vibration in the front end. Replaced the axles and the vibration went away.
Many people here run the Toytec lift with no issues.
And Like I stated earlier, the longer springs should not cause any vibrations.
I'm wondering if it was a bad install? Maybe the installer jammed the axle and damaged it? That is why it is leaking now?
Sorry I could not be more of a help?
Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
toku58 said:
That's a tough one Donny? I can't see how the lift can be the cause of your problem? Because all it is; is a longer spring? That should not cause any vibrations.
Your problem sounds like a driveline issue?
But since you stated that your alignment and tire balance was correct?
I had a honda that had bad front axles which would cause a vibration in the front end. Replaced the axles and the vibration went away.
Many people here run the Toytec lift with no issues.
And Like I stated earlier, the longer springs should not cause any vibrations.
I'm wondering if it was a bad install? Maybe the installer jammed the axle and damaged it? That is why it is leaking now?
Sorry I could not be more of a help?
Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to look into my problem. I do think that the driveshaft it causing some of the vibration. As for the install, there is no question that the installer did a bad job. The installer had torn the CV boots. Since having the coil on the passenger side reinstall correctly the on an off hum from the passenger tire is gone. I'm going on a 100 mile run today. Should give me a better idea of if the vibration was fixed.

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
was this problem ever solved? if it wasnt, the guy said the metal break caliper shield and then you pointed out the nub ur supposed to hit. does that mean you checked the break caliper shield? bcuz mine was rubbing and i had to take off my wheel and bend it out and it fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
hyperlitewkbrdn said:
was this problem ever solved? if it wasnt, the guy said the metal break caliper shield and then you pointed out the nub ur supposed to hit. does that mean you checked the break caliper shield? bcuz mine was rubbing and i had to take off my wheel and bend it out and it fixed the problem.

I got this humm/buzz/harmonic vibration between 25-35 mph since I put the 3" lift on my truck. It's the driveshaft or the rear end.... just don't know which or where it is coming from. If I didn't have OCD i wouldn't have even noticed......but now i'm bothered to death and I can't stop thinking about it.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
eyedoc said:
I got this humm/buzz/harmonic vibration between 25-35 mph since I put the 3" lift on my truck. It's the driveshaft or the rear end.... just don't know which or where it is coming from. If I didn't have OCD i wouldn't have even noticed......but now i'm bothered to death and I can't stop thinking about it.
Hey Doc do you have the Carrier bearing drop??? If so take it out!!

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hyperlitewkbrdn said:
I'm still having problems. I found out that the installer installed Add-a-leaf backwards. The saga with installer continues, but now I'm going to take him to small claims court. I may remove the carrier bearing drop. If that does not work, next will be the shims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts