Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wicked Clown Juggalo
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The automatic transmission on my 1994 22RE 2WD has been jacked up since the day I got it. I bought the truck with a bad motor so I never drove it before I got it to see how it worked before I put my new motor in. After installing the new motor I set the throttle cable and the trans cable nuts to the spots they were at before I pulled the motor out based on the corrosion markings on the cable threads (which was about halfway up the threads for both cables). When I took it for a test drive after installing the motor is wouldn't shift out of first gear until 40 MPH and then wouldn't shift out of 2nd at all. I messed with the trans cable and pretty much had to set it on the last thread to get it to shift.

The problem is that 1 -2 shift is ok but a little late but it won't shift into 3rd unless I let off the gas and then press it again. If I manually run through the gears and hold a steady 1/4 or 1/2 throttle and hit D form 2 it shifts instantly. I have to do the same let off the throttle thing to get it to shift from 3 - OD but it will only do it if I'm driving 70MPH or more then as soon as it shifts to OD the truck wants to kick back down to 3 as soon as I give it any gas.

I changed the fluid and filter when I put the motor in and it didn't look too bad and no major shavings in the pan. I have since drained the fluid 4 times and even tried some Lucas trans stuff but it's still jacked up.

I looked at the online manual and tried setting the throttle body by holding the gas pedal down and adjusting the cable but it would only open about 7/8 and I couldn't force it open any wider. I disconnected the trans cable and it opened all the way up. So I am wondering if the trans cable is jacked up or what. The manual also said the set the cable stopper 1MM from the end of the boot. There is no way in hell that stopper thing can be adjusted to within 1/2" of the end of the boot.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/autotrans/5prelimin.pdf

Anyone have any ideas? If I throw a manual trans in it do I need a different ECM from a truck that had a manual trans? This truck is really strating to piss me off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
have you checked to see if you throttle position sensor is set in the right spot? They are adjustable and if its off even the smallest amount it will make a trany not shift right. I cant think of the web site right now but google toyota tps adjustment and you should be able to find a link. good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a problem on mine that was similar, what it turned out to be was that the housing for the trans cable was not seated fully in the metal housing at the throttle end even though it looked fine, I had to push it back in there pretty hard and that fixed it. If you look at it close there are some metal wires that form a sheath in the housing, those are what was keeping it from seating properly.

·
Wicked Clown Juggalo
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally figured out and fixed the problem. The cable sheath for the trans throttle / kickdown cable was broken. I suspected the problem was due to the cable due to the fact that the throttle would not open fully with the trans cable connected to the throttle body. I had to pull the valve body out of the trans to get the old cable out. The trans now shifts as well as it probably did when it was new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts