Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm currently in the market for a Toyota Matrix, and unfortunately i'm having a little trouble getting it!!! :mad:

i want the 2005 XR, but that just means that i would need to save alot more for my down payment :(

so i was thinking i'd probably just purchase a 2004 XR instead of the 2005.

so i was just wondering if there is much of a difference betwen the years.

if you can't already tell i'm a first time car buyer, and i obviously don't know much except that i want a MATRIX. i've wanted one since they came out.

so if yall's can give me ANY INFO at all... it would be greatly appreciated :D

thanx!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
get XRS period. But I am in your shose cause I dont know which to get 04 or 05 also. In the process of buying one somehow.

About XR I dont know.

The only difference between two of XRSs is front bumper and grill plus Clear type tail lights on 05 XRS. engine is the same except 2004 claims 173 hp and The 05 XRS is drive-by-wire compared to throttle cable system in the 03/04's.

check this forum
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t45981.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i wonder if the only difference between the XR and the XRS is the fact that one is automatic and the other is stickshift. (that's basically as far as my *non existent* car knowledge is taking me)

i don't know how to drive stickshift, and i know that i can learn, but im not really looking into a stickshift car.

...so i decided on the XR. i just wanna know which year is more worth my money to get. '04 or '05 :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
well basically the difference between XR and XRS is horsePower 05 XRS=170 XR=~130? (dont know but it is less )and XR is Automatic and alos manural. XRS is VVTL-I engine type and XR is VVT-I. L stands for Lift which I am researching about now. I dont know what it means.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Keep in mind with the xrs it requires premium and it gets less mpg to start off with. maybe higher ins. rates too. One advantage of getting the 05 compared to the 04 is the depreciation value on the new 04 is less than the 05.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Another option for you: get a base with the option package which gives you 16" alloys, power locks, remote entry and A/C. I'd say 9 out of 10 that I've seen this week have been exactly that. But then again, the trim levels and option packages are a little different in Canada than in the US.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ok guys tomorow I am buying 05 Indigo Ink Pearl XRS with these accessories FE CK BE SR EJ AA V5 Z1 for $23036.70 including WA state tax and fee.

Do you think it is a good deal? The only thing I have to wait 30 days for it to come.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whatta lucky ass... im still shopping around for a Matrix...

still debating if im just going to get an o4, and have it modified, or the o5...

o4's have $750 cash back at the dealers... not to mention summer clearance... i can prolly get the prices knocked down a bit... *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont know if dealers lying or what but they say there is no XRS 04 it is sold out at the dealer.
I dont know if this is true or not but I called 7 dealership around Seattle area and none of them have it. I can look in the newspaper but how cheaper will 04 be?

If they have 04 at your local dealer how low can they go?
If its cheaper that what they trying to sell me (for $23036.70 including WA state tax and fee for 05) I'll go with 04.

But you know the differnce between them: bumper and grill plus Clear type tail lights on 05 XRS, horsePower and drive-by-wire compared to throttle cable system in the 03/04's.
It is a hard choice unless you dont like the changes IMO.

here is also some info on what I've been reading in the other forums

this is what I've read form the other forum at matrixowner.com

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The '05 Matrix is passable from a visual aspect but i'd never buy an /04 or an '05 for the fact they pushed up the "lift" engagement even higher, thus making the powerband more undriveable and useless.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here

quote:
the higher lift engagement kinda kills the point of getting an XRS...
If i was to get an 05, would definetly be an XR with SC.... If thats possible on the 05... otherwise custom turbo... lol

Seems like the XRS is useless to own on the 05 models... i mean you can hit lift but it would last for .005 seconds and you would never be able to land lift in continuous shifts.. unless theres something we dont know about it.. lol.

just look here:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t45981.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
-the only concern that I have regarding the various models is the octane limitations imposed by the high end model that someone had mentioned.
-the 05 now include as standard on all trim lines, seat elevator for the driver side
-your dealer should have a list of differences between 04 and 05;
i will post an attachment, if permitted of what i was provided with

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im just getting the XR not the XRS :thumbup:

if anything i can just modify the car if i get the o4 XR. just change the tail lights, and prolly install an SC in there.

anyone have pics of an o4 and an o5 Matrix XR out there so i can see the difference?

ive been looking around, but you know how people do. they buy a car and start to modify it :lol:

·
Always on the Warpath--->
'03 Matrix XRS
1,220 Posts
it just takes some research is all. look around other than the area that u live in. I live in the center of Cali. and either L.A or the bay area had the better prices. I was looking for a used XRS more than a new one. So i scouted one out in that town that i live in but that was going to be my last resort place because they were asking too much for the monthly payments. So after a few month I monitored the price drop and finally decided to go for it. So I got an Indigo Ink Peal Matrix XRS w/ all options, except for sunroof and roofrack and it included 17" Chrome wheels. I put in a short ram intake and a strut bar for now but in the process of getting a exhaust system and wheels for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also got Indigo Ink 05 XRS for $22000 including WA tax+fees mine was with Sunroof loaded.
Did you get 05 or 04? and how much is it in CA

·
Always on the Warpath--->
'03 Matrix XRS
1,220 Posts
I goy a 2003 w/ only 400 on OD, that was from the delivery from L.A.. Mine came out to, just a shade over 20K, loaded minus sunroof and roof rack, and the navigation sys. but that's opt. besided Indians don't get lost, No Navigation Needed. I'm in the process of tinting my own windoow's. Gonna start a side biz. soon so I'm practincing. So far I did a 68 Mustang Coupe that my old man painted and did body work on. All oringaal shizznit, this thing eats the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so my mom had a chat with the dealer here in my area who's been trying to help me get my Matrix, and he delivered bad news to me... the 2004's are SOLD OUT!!! can you believe that?!?!?! ...actually, i can :p: looks like i have no choice but to get the 2005... not so bad, but might just be more expensive... or they're gonna as for a higher down payment :eek: crap!

·
Registered
33 Posts
the price difference is $500-1000 not a big deal. I wanted 04 but it was the same situation so i bought 05 and love the car. Engine is the same, only a minor body change on 05 model.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The few changes are all an improvement. I actually had the opposite problem to you. I shopped around for an 05, got a great deal ($1700 off list price/invoice) and then when I walked into the showroom, there was the identical '04 (except the silver colour was changed for '05). I had my choice, but opted for the '05. I'm happy I did.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@TRXR4KDS
hey what mods do you have so far since we have the same year car? is yours XRS or XR.

So far I got TRD STB, Progress RSB and MagnaFlow Cat-back system not installed yet but about to put them on waiting for my TRD STB to arrive.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I haven't done any mods yet on my XRS. I'm getting the tint done next week. After that, an interior bike mount system (I'm devising a homemade one that the front fork will mount into a bracket held into the trck in the back of the car). After that, who knows. I'm just enjoying the car a lot! I don't plan on doing any performance mods. I'm not into that. Too much money and time for little gain and I have other hobbies. To each his own though. I do like having something discreet and different to distinguish my car from everyone elses.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts