Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming from the bowling alley last night with some friends. There were three people in my car (including me) and my other two friends in the car behind us. We were stopped at a RED light and some mexican hit my friends car (at full speed aprox. 55MPH) which in turn hit mine. My car isn't that bad, but I've never been in a wreck before. The first thing I thought of were those all-state commercials (my insurance company), I took pictures of my car, etc, but I didn't have any of those reflectors. The good thing about it is the police saw the WHOLE thing, and right when it happened he flashed his lights and made sure everyone was ok, and started doing whatever he did. The guy had been drinking but he wasn't above the legal limit so he didn't get arrested. Me and my friends didn't realize we were driving behind each other until we got out of the car. I feel kinda bad because the first thing I looked at was my car to make sure the damage wasn't that bad.. then I realized it was my friends and I made sure they were ok.

Anyone have any advice on any aspect of being in a wreck? My mother thought that we should've called the ambulance even though no one was hurt, just as a precaution but I guess I wasn't thinking. My back, arm, and shoulder's hurt now.. to the point that I didn't go into work today, and my friends have the same symptoms.

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

My car (hard to take pictures because my car is white and there was a lot of glares.

My friends car

The ass that hit us.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
You didn't need an ambulance. I say milk it for all its worth. Tell the guy-who-hit-you's insurance company that you're hurt and that you plan on getting treatment, and then go get some treatment.. make sure to let the doctor know that you've been in an accident, and when they write up an invoice for you to send to the insurance company, its usually more than you actually have to pay so you get some money out of it that way as well.

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was told to do that by the officer too. He said they I'd just have to call up there Monday morning with my case number/etc, to get all the information I needed to get my car fixed or if my back/shoulder continued to hurt and I wanted to get treatment. One question though is my friend going to have to pay for my car and the person who hit him his? Or does it matter that both of us that were stopped at a red light? Would it be a good idea to call my insurance company? Because I wasn't at fault at all in the situation..nor did I hit anyone.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
that bites dude. i had almost the same thing happen to me, only i was in the middle with my 86 camry. going down semi-country road on the edge of town, the car a few cars in front of me stopped for traffic before turning left, the car in front of me stopped, i stopped, the guy behind me didnt manage to stop in time...wasnt sure if he wasnt paying attention or his brakes were crappy or whatever...it was move in week for the university so all cars involved were crappy cars. the front guy was an early 90s pontiac something, got away with a sleightly readjusted bumper...old car so who cares. the guy behind me was in a early 90's ford station wagon, his whole front end was gone...not as bad as your rearmost person tho. his brakes kicked in at the last moment so he nosedived and his bumper went under mine and mine went into his grille...doing much damage. unfortunately his bumper under mine lifted my rear bumper and nosedived my car with much the same effect against the car in front of me. so my rear ends f-ed, the left half of my front end is f-ed...luckily i worked at a dealer back then and had a place for them to tow it temporarily (cop wouldnt let me drive it...even tho it still ran. liability crap). ended up the rearmost guy had to dish out for all the cars, plus the ticket. anyway, i kept the car (totalled, but $25 difference if they took it or i kept it) as something to tinker with and used the jack to push out the front end enough to fit a new battery (old one had a nice gash) jerry-rig the hood so it opened again from the latch, and get a pair of aux driving lights from walmart to replace the broken headlight (yea shaddup. it worked). its a testament to toyota engineering that neither the AC condenser nor the radiator leaked. everything worked fine except the rear guys bumper jacked up the muffler and it was loud. drove it on a 900 mile road trip for work the next spring, then sold it for $200 and last i heard it was still somwehere around town.

id say go to the doc and have them send the bill to his insurance. if youre having doubts at all whatsoever, call your insurance company and ask them what they suggest.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
couture said:
Thanks, I was told to do that by the officer too. He said they I'd just have to call up there Monday morning with my case number/etc, to get all the information I needed to get my car fixed or if my back/shoulder continued to hurt and I wanted to get treatment. One question though is my friend going to have to pay for my car and the person who hit him his? Or does it matter that both of us that were stopped at a red light? Would it be a good idea to call my insurance company? Because I wasn't at fault at all in the situation..nor did I hit anyone.

good to hear that you guys are basically all-right except for whiplash :thumbup:

and no, the guy who hit your friend will have to pay for both your cars- so basically, his insurance is fucked if he's a young male under 25

white3ch0c0late said:
You didn't need an ambulance. I say milk it for all its worth. Tell the guy-who-hit-you's insurance company that you're hurt and that you plan on getting treatment, and then go get some treatment.. make sure to let the doctor know that you've been in an accident, and when they write up an invoice for you to send to the insurance company, its usually more than you actually have to pay so you get some money out of it that way as well.

and it's people who think like you who commit white collar crime that makes all our insurance rates go up :hammer: :rolleyes:

if you bring your car to a shop and the insurance pays for oem parts, and you then ask for aftermarket parts and get more work on on the car = okay because the insurance should pay for oem parts anyway

- but if you get a shop to make the cost of something more than it should be just because you want more work done = not okay = fraud

if your chiropractor sends a nice beefed up bill to the insurance company because he knows that it's insurance, hence gives you extra hours/treatment = okay (but bad practice)

but if you get your chiropractor to pad the bill to the insruance company so you can poket money = fraud

I hope you think hard before you do something like that- not that the insurance company can't really "afford" it, but it also affects everybody else.

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
Same thing happend to me, except that I was the first one hit. Totaled out my 95 Corolla.Then I hit the car ahead of me. Because he caused the accident, it's his responsibility to pay for both cars. #1-Get a lawer. Then go to your doctor, and he/she should presribe some sort of theropy. Mine also prescribed pain killers, I took one, and made me higher than a kite, flushed the rest down the toilet. After retaining a lawer, DO NOT do any activities, ie: bowling,baseball, if their insurance co. sees you doing anything like this, you can kiss any money that your seeking goodbye.

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm really not looking to milk it for all it's worth, I just want my back to stop hurting and my car fixed. Isn't it hard to color code the bumber the same as the rest of the car? I'm hoping that if they have to repaint that the insurance would pay for that also, I'm not going to any aftermarket place, and I'm not going to any suggested places the insurance company recommends,I don't even go to places other than certified toyota to get even my oil changed. I'm definitely not going to any place other than a toyota/lexus delership.

And sorry to hear about your other misfortunes. And mickeyd me doing recreational activities? :lol:

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
sorry to hear that man, good luck getting it fixed. its a very clean camry nonetheless

·
Registered
RSX-S
225 Posts
wow that other guy got his car smashed. sorry to hear about all that. another reason why i hate drunk drivers. when im drunk i at least do not allow myself to drive under any circumstance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a light hit, your car will be fine. It doesn't take much to tweak the bumper like that. Most likely your back will also clear up with a few days. But you never know with these things.

How everything is processed varies by state, as this sort of thing is heavily regulated at that level. Some states are "no fault," others are not. Sometimes the repair is billed to your company, which bills the company of the car that hit you, which bills the company of the car that caused the whole thing. It won't hurt to call your company, as it doesn't sound like you were even the tiniest bit at fault here.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
and it's people who think like you who commit white collar crime that makes all our insurance rates go up :hammer: :rolleyes:

if your chiropractor sends a nice beefed up bill to the insurance company because he knows that it's insurance, hence gives you extra hours/treatment = okay (but bad practice)
This is what I was talking about... :lol:

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
mkaresh said:
That's a light hit, your car will be fine. It doesn't take much to tweak the bumper like that. Most likely your back will also clear up with a few days. But you never know with these things.

How everything is processed varies by state, as this sort of thing is heavily regulated at that level. Some states are "no fault," others are not. Sometimes the repair is billed to your company, which bills the company of the car that hit you, which bills the company of the car that caused the whole thing. It won't hurt to call your company, as it doesn't sound like you were even the tiniest bit at fault here.
The paint on the bumper is scrapped off really bad...but I haven't noticed any dents or major body damage with the exception that it's noticeably uneven on one side.. I was thinking it was going to be a lot because a few months ago my mom was in the same situation only she was in the middle in a 2006 camry and not even a month before that happened someone hit her car in the parking lot and she didn't notice until later on, her deductible was 500 and the body work for a scratch was almost 900 bucks.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
This is what I was talking about... :lol:

no, you were talking about walking away with money in your pocket

walking away with more treatment than you really need- you're still using the service, so it's not fraud per se- just extra treatment

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
no, you were talking about walking away with money in your pocket

walking away with more treatment than you really need- you're still using the service, so it's not fraud per se- just extra treatment
Oh, well in that case... better white-collar than blue-collar. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just make sure you keep track of all the time it takes you to go to the doctor, take your car for estimates, time for police processing, getting the car fixed etc. Then figure out how much you are worth per hour. I am sure the insurance company would be more than happy to compensate you for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Insurance rates do not go up........

because of nickle and dimeing fraud...........

They go up because the maintence and repair bill go up.......

and the raping of body shops and repair shops.........

and because of major fraud like swoop and squat or whatever it is called........

It is fraud though and illegal............
But the insurance compaines give to us where it hurts most of the time.........
So any time you can get some of your money back...........go for it............just dont get stupid......

·
hollywood dropout
2001 Camry
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am also going to the chiropractor for at least 3 months, those trips alone are gonna be hell on gas and milage, I got a lawyer he told me it would be my benefit to keep a daily journal and keep all my records handy so that when they send for the demand it'll be a faster process. It's gonna be hard going to the doctor and being in college and balancing working. :( I will try to go this weekend to get estimates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts