Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Highlander LE AWD
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought a 2019 HL LE March of last year. As the new HLs came out I have become obsessed with Toyota and these HLs. It was my first “real” vehicle as I drove a couple cheap 4 cylinder truck and suv before. I have buyers remorse or regret now and although a year later and knowing I plan to drive it for as long as I could but it was the lower end of the trims and I am kicking myself. Now obviously I am upside down and debating if I should just suck it up and drive this one out or trade in and get a 2020 XLE, problem is I would now be paying for 7 years. After a year I should either pull the trigger and do it or let it go. Any thoughts or advice to assist in my debacle or walk me off the edge?
thanks team,
Nick

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,706 Posts
If you decide to get the xle maybe you can find one later in the year that was traded in. Then they took the hit on depreciation and you get what you want with a warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
902 Posts
The cure for this syndrome is to stop following enthusiast forums because we are always talking about the next best thing. If you are going to follow places like this then you will have an easier time buying the first model year because the next few years will mostly be cosmetic changes and appearance packages. I usually get real excited about a new model year about 9-12 months ahead of time (2002 Dodge Ram, 2007 Tundra, 2017 Highlander), visit these forums daily, buy the new model ASAP, do some mods for about 6 months, and then disappear from the forums for a few years until I hear of some new Toyota being announced at the Spring auto shows and then get all excited again. New technology upgrade are making it a little harder for me to hold off for longer than three years, anymore, I guess.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I didn't hear a solid reason as to why you should go into even more debt with a 2020. Sounds like your 2019 is just fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you decide to get the xle maybe you can find one later in the year that was traded in. Then they took the hit on depreciation and you get what you want with a warranty.
Thanks that’s a good idea, only thing now is the covid19 so my thought was they may be willing to do a better deal with business being slow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cure for this syndrome is to stop following enthusiast forums because we are always talking about the next best thing. If you are going to follow places like this then you will have an easier time buying the first model year because the next few years will mostly be cosmetic changes and appearance packages. I usually get real excited about a new model year about 9-12 months ahead of time (2002 Dodge Ram, 2007 Tundra, 2017 Highlander), visit these forums daily, buy the new model ASAP, do some mods for about 6 months, and then disappear from the forums for a few years until I hear of some new Toyota being announced at the Spring auto shows and then get all excited again. New technology upgrade are making it a little harder for me to hold off for longer than three years, anymore, I guess.
So buy the new one?? Haha Yes these threads are nice and not trying to get over hyped but I generally like to follow to keep up on what’s going on, these haven’t persuaded me as much as YouTube videos have :/.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
239 Posts
The OP has trim envy! Hee hee....

Or realizes that if you buy cheap, you will get cheap.

Just hold on OP and consider a higher level 2019 or say a 2021XSE. The 2019 Midnight caught my eye, too!

You can consider this current ride as an exercise and save pennies towards one you really like.

I, for example, might have liked the Hybrid or AWD, but definitely like my Ruby with Harvest interior or maybe Caramel (non existent out here.)

I actually like the 4Runner, but the current model is just too dated for my taste.

I will look at one of those when the new gen roles out.

Every year there are new cars.....watch and plan....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't hear a solid reason as to why you should go into even more debt with a 2020. Sounds like your 2019 is just fine.
Yeah and I have gone back and forth with whether I am being greedy or selfish. I am usually not one to ever want or have ever had the latest and greatest of anything. I just feel like if I am going to spend this much money why not get the exact trim I want in the new gen. Here are my wants and some needs :). I have 2 kids (2 and 10 mo) and would prefer the captains chairs over be bench as once the older one get up there in age he can get to the third row. Plan to have a third in a few years. I am a tech person so the much upgraded infotainment center looks appealing and the extra space which I know is only a couple inches but looks a little more spacious. I have 2 dogs as well. I always had fog lights and the LE does not. Granted I can add these things but some one the minor changes and sunroof and console changes. Overall I like the looks more as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The OP has trim envy! Hee hee....

Or realizes that if you buy cheap, you will get cheap.

Just hold on OP and consider a higher level 2019 or say a 2021XSE. The 2019 Midnight caught my eye, too!

You can consider this current ride as an exercise and save pennies towards one you really like.

I, for example, might have liked the Hybrid or AWD, but definitely like my Ruby with Harvest interior or maybe Caramel (non existent out here.)

I actually like the 4Runner, but the current model is just too dated for my taste.

I will look at one of those when the new gen roles out.

Every year
Thanks I mean I would be fine with the 2020 and call if good. The HL I have is good and all but if I don’t do it now then I wouldn’t even consider 2021. At this point I would just make slow upgrades on the LE and deal with it that way. I am in contact with my local dealer already but just not sure what the right call is. Also I have already put 20k on mine in a year which doesn’t help.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
+1. It's not worth going into a bigger/longer car payment. Cars lose value way too fast in the first couple of years. Even if you start seeing good deals on new ones right now because of the state of the economy, your trade-in will also be worth that much less right now.

Don't feel like you're married to the 2019 forever. You don't have to keep a car for years and years until it dies. I know many will argue that's the most financially-sound way to own a car because it does nothing but depreciate, but that also means it's worth nearly nothing as a trade-in when you're finally done with it. Just plan on trading it in a reasonable amount of time and work toward saving for a down payment or paying the 2019 down that much faster until then. There will probably be a mid-generation refresh around 2023 (based on past history), so there's something to look forward to.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
902 Posts
If anything, the current crisis should make you want to focus more on what you need rather than what you want. Most people are facing at least some income uncertainty, these days, which usually means making more conservative financial decisions - at least for a few months.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
963 Posts
Most people are facing at least some income uncertainty,
Yeah, it's not often that those living on a fixed income can be content about it but this has to be one of those times.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
239 Posts
Most people are facing at least some income uncertainty, these days, which usually means making more conservative financial decisions - at least for a few months.
Just as you think all your eggs are safe and not all are in the same basket, a virus starts gnawing at some of them. Each egg represents an income stream or cost center. Any one breaking is no big deal as it can be dealt with, but if 3 or 4 crack, that makes it so you have to replace them from what is in your nest egg. That hurts.

We could have waited to buy our HL. We could have waited to file our final taxes. Now I additionally have extra worry about an aging parent over an hour drive away. Kids who are not as prudent also stress. The list will likely get longer too.....

The point is, right now, it is prudent to keep your eggs safe. Replacing a year old car is likely not the best use of your eggs. Do a tweak or two to address your actual needs. Save up some eggs. Peace of mind is valuable.....

Oogle new cars all you want, just do not get one now!

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Ltd
168 Posts
I’m going to play Debbie Downer which I rarely do. I’m normally upbeat if not optimistic. My 30 y/o son moved out of the house 4 1/2 months ago into his own apartment. He lost his good paying job a week and a half ago. He will likely be moving back in with me again. My wife lost her job today (Marketing & Sales Director for a multi-location Kinetico Water dealer). She’s been there 13 years. Combined, my wife and I have lost $200K+ in our 401Ks in the last 3 weeks. We’re in our very late fifties. I have saved several thousand dollars over the last 8 months or so to put toward a new vehicle. Now, that cash will keep us afloat until we all get our feet back on the ground. Not whining or complaining, but like a few others have said, our economy is extremely unstable right now. Lastly, and imho, if you need to finance for 7 years to afford vehicle payments, you’re looking at cars that cost almost twice as much $$$ as you should be. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks ALL! i appreciate the info and help me make the right choice. I am going to keep my current HL and just add some Mods and upgrades.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm going to say the opposite. The faster you turn it around the better. I know these are uncertain times but if you are pretty set and don't for-see any financial hardships due to the virus and resulting fallout, go ahead and trade it and get the model that you want. I say that being in a similar situation a while back. I had instant buyers remorse after buying a vehicle. I thought about trading it in about a year in, and decided to wait. Three years later I got what I wanted, but paid almost 2x what I would have lost in the first year to swap it. If you have the means, just go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
445 Posts
I’m going to play Debbie Downer which I rarely do. I’m normally upbeat if not optimistic. My 30 y/o son moved out of the house 4 1/2 months ago into his own apartment. He lost his good paying job a week and a half ago. He will likely be moving back in with me again. My wife lost her job today (Marketing & Sales Director for a multi-location Kinetico Water dealer). She’s been there 13 years. Combined, my wife and I have lost $200K+ in our 401Ks in the last 3 weeks. We’re in our very late fifties. I have saved several thousand dollars over the last 8 months or so to put toward a new vehicle. Now, that cash will keep us afloat until we all get our feet back on the ground. Not whining or complaining, but like a few others have said, our economy is extremely unstable right now. Lastly, and imho, if you need to finance for 7 years to afford vehicle payments, you’re looking at cars that cost almost twice as much $$$ as you should be. Best of luck to you.
unless you can get one of the many 0% loans that are out there, then it makes it easier at this time, and hell double up on the payments when you can and pay it off sooner, or simply add $100.00 or so a month to the payment that to will drop the length of the loan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts