Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Highlander LE AWD
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
unless you can get one of the many 0% loans that are out there, then it makes it easier at this time, and hell double up on the payments when you can and pay it off sooner, or simply add $100.00 or so a month to the payment that to will drop the length of the loan
Except I doubt with a trade in i would even get 0%? They would most like do a 2.9% or something

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
478 Posts
I got 0% last time I trade in my Avalon in on a new Toyota?

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
The fact that you're trading doesn't affect the APR. Your credit score, the length of the loan, and the amount of equity in the new car (in other words, down payment) can affect APR. So while trading isn't an issue, if you're going to be upside down on the new car right off the bat, that could have an impact.

Many major car brands are now advertising 0% APR and even deferred payments. Toyota usually changes their finance and rebate offers at the beginning of their fiscal month, which is the first Tuesday of the calendar month. In light of the current situation, they may change it sooner. The only thing I see that's different for my region right now is deferral of the first payment for 90 days. Check the "Local Specials" portion of Toyota's Web site to check your area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The fact that you're trading doesn't affect the APR. Your credit score, the length of the loan, and the amount of equity in the new car (in other words, down payment) can affect APR. So while trading isn't an issue, if you're going to be upside down on the new car right off the bat, that could have an impact.

Many major car brands are now advertising 0% APR and even deferred payments. Toyota usually changes their finance and rebate offers at the beginning of their fiscal month, which is the first Tuesday of the calendar month. In light of the current situation, they may change it sooner. The only thing I see that's different for my region right now is deferral of the first payment for 90 days. Check the "Local Specials" portion of Toyota's Web site to check your area.
Yeah...I’m getting into off roading some now...so 4Runner is on the brain haha.. if I could get 0%for 72 or 84 months on a discounted one and put 2K down then that could be the same mo payment I have now.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
248 Posts
Yeah...I’m getting into off roading some now...so 4Runner is on the brain haha.. if I could get 0%for 72 or 84 months on a discounted one and put 2K down then that could be the same mo payment I have now.
4Runner is getting really old now....I sort of recall though the forecast upgrade is 2 years away though. In other words last year, this year and next year all the same.

If you are into 4 wheeling all of a sudden, do not not not get a new one. Waste, waste, waste, as you will be bashing it.

Honestly, you sound all over the place. 5 days ago you were going to keep your current Highlander. Now you want a 4Runner. NOT prudent.

I believe you are just bound and determined to waste money. I read you are very money conscious. Makes no sense.

I did not get a 4Runner as it is getting old. It is good but not great, like it should be.

Shoot yourself, do as you please.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I'm going to say this in a loving manner as if you were my brother... if you're worried about 0% or 2.9% and whether you should trade-in and upgrade/downgrade to the 4 runner... you probably should not be buying a vehicle right now --- especially if you are looking at 72 or 84 month terms and said lengths are the only way you can get the payment where you need it.

The Highlander and 4Runner are very different vehicles that fill different needs. The 4runner will most definitely ride worse, consume more gas, and will probably feel more dated if you trade for a similarly equipped trim and don't go to like a 4Runner Limited or something like that. 4Runner definitely has more gratuitous use of hard plastic on the interior.

A lot of people into offroading have old 4Runners that are on the nice side of the depreciation curve that they then build up and enjoying offroading such that if a dent happens, it's no biggie.

IDK --- you do what you want, but you went from wanting a nicely equipped Highlander in Post 1 to now wanting a 4runner that is more in line with the old beaters you used to drive.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
929 Posts
Time to step away from the forums. This is not the time to be further upside-down on any vehicle if you can help it. Interest rates will be low to zero because the federal reserve is printing money to stimulate a bad economy. You've go two young kids and a great one-year old vehicle to drive them around in. You even have all of the safety tech. You can't even go anywhere enjoyable anyway, right now, in most places.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
All I do appreciate the hard nose checks and bringing me back to earth. I haven’t made decisions or done anything crazy. I am transparent and being vulnerable. I agree about the not buying a new one, and don’t want to pay more years. I think if off roading is what I want then yeah makes sense to buy an old one for the fun which would still be well capable in later years. I have been all over the place so the best decision is to make no decision. Keeping the 19 HL LE.

·
straight cash homie
20,368 Posts
I'm going to say this in a loving manner as if you were my brother... if you're worried about 0% or 2.9% and whether you should trade-in and upgrade/downgrade to the 4 runner... you probably should not be buying a vehicle right now --- especially if you are looking at 72 or 84 month terms and said lengths are the only way you can get the payment where you need it.

The Highlander and 4Runner are very different vehicles that fill different needs. The 4runner will most definitely ride worse, consume more gas, and will probably feel more dated if you trade for a similarly equipped trim and don't go to like a 4Runner Limited or something like that. 4Runner definitely has more gratuitous use of hard plastic on the interior.

A lot of people into offroading have old 4Runners that are on the nice side of the depreciation curve that they then build up and enjoying offroading such that if a dent happens, it's no biggie.

IDK --- you do what you want, but you went from wanting a nicely equipped Highlander in Post 1 to now wanting a 4runner that is more in line with the old beaters you used to drive.
4Runners are still the rage...overlanding is hugely popular. Getting a new 4Runner would likely be a better deal than a used one. The 2020 T4R got the infotainment update, so while it still feels dated, at least it has CP/AA. 4Runners are more 'fun' in comparison to the Highlander. Got to love those BOF vehicles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Time to step away from the forums. This is not the time to be further upside-down on any vehicle if you can help it. Interest rates will be low to zero because the federal reserve is printing money to stimulate a bad economy. You've go two young kids and a great one-year old vehicle to drive them around in. You even have all of the safety tech. You can't even go anywhere enjoyable anyway, right now, in most places.
Yeah i still offroad some if you will or overlanding in the highlander i have. Its not tight trails and doable. Engine is capable of enough but not alot of ground clearance. Its fun and love getting out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
4Runners are still the rage...overlanding is hugely popular. Getting a new 4Runner would likely be a better deal than a used one. The 2020 T4R got the infotainment update, so while it still feels dated, at least it has CP/AA. 4Runners are more 'fun' in comparison to the Highlander. Got to love those BOF vehicles.
The HL i have i am on a 6 year loan, but i'm making bigger payments to pay if off quicker. I had to get out of the POS jeep compass i had. haha

·
straight cash homie
20,368 Posts
The HL i have i am on a 6 year loan, but i'm making bigger payments to pay if off quicker. I had to get out of the POS jeep compass i had. haha
LOL, anything is better than the Compass...I know you'll get grief from other Jeep owners for not owning a 'real' one, assuming it was the first generation one; the Gen 2 looks good but I'd be scared to own an FCA product (Dad had an Intrepid in the early 90s, good thing it was a company lease and gave it back right before the car self-destructed).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
LOL, anything is better than the Compass...I know you'll get grief from other Jeep owners for not owning a 'real' one, assuming it was the first generation one; the Gen 2 looks good but I'd be scared to own an FCA product (Dad had an Intrepid in the early 90s, good thing it was a company lease and gave it back right before the car self-destructed).
yup it was the best i could afford then and was before i was married and have 2 kids and i took care of it but it just was sketchy and cheap parts causing it to stall on the road which isnt safe for the family.

·
straight cash homie
20,368 Posts
yup it was the best i could afford then and was before i was married and have 2 kids and i took care of it but it just was sketchy and cheap parts causing it to stall on the road which isnt safe for the family.
So the HL is for the family...go get yourself a truck to play with lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
so keeping your current ride is good. If u did make a change, being that u have kids dogs and maybe yet another baby down the road I would consider the 2nd row bench seats. Much better layout for your needs than captain chairs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now obviously I am upside down and debating if I should just suck it up and drive this one out or trade in and get a 2020 XLE,

Given your position in life, you need to work out what kind of financial hit would be involved if you switch, and if that hit would be trivial or serious.

problem is I would now be paying for 7 years. After a year I should either pull the trigger and do it or let it go. Any thoughts or advice to assist in my debacle

This is not meant as criticism of you, it is my opinion on your position in life:

You are a man, you have a mans responsibilities, and sacrificing your own desires comes with the territory. Taking care of your family comes well before anything else. In this case you need to work to make their/your financial position safe and comfortable. You might be able to make a switch for modest cost if you can use the current lock down to your favor. Depending on where you live you may have to call and make an appointment to look at cars. If you do it would be polite to show up in gloves and a mask, and keep them on the whole time you are there. The dealer may be hungry/desperate for business and may be able to cut you a solid deal. Or they may not, I don't know.

Kids are expensive and more important than any car, they need to be your main focus for a while, even if you have to ride around on a moped. Maybe you can doll up the existing car. Even if you are stuck with it, it's not like it's some 20 year old junker, you have a nice new car, you still can be happy about that even if this car isn't perfect.

Something you can do right now is save up money towards the next car. You get a seven year loan but you pay off five years up front and suddenly you are paying almost nothing in interest. Get your wife's support and buy-in on this and you can use the thought of a big reward to disipline and motivate yourself to save.

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
787 Posts
You have a year old car.
Why do you Need a 2020 version?

Trade your used 2019 LE for a different used 2019 XLE, or whatever.
The spread (cost differential) should be similar to the spread on new cars,
something in the $5,000 range? actually, it should be lower than spread on new cars, but theory and reality often differ.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
248 Posts
To haul kids you buy the least expensive version of the size you need. The kids show the car no mercy. Expect to trash it. Drive it for 10 years or longer and grind it to dust. Worked for us. Only now that the kids are older, not piglets, drive their own cars that momma and papa can have their own nice cars.

The only thing I would add are screens for the kids. Why those are not an option for these obviously mom kid haulers is beyond me. Plus they need more cup holders and cubbies somehow. Make it kid friendly and you will enjoy it.

Do not get an off roader if you only have one car. The wife and kids will complain about the ride. Or show it by being grumpy or irritated.

Now stop reading car forums and concentrate on family.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Now obviously I am upside down and debating if I should just suck it up and drive this one out or trade in and get a 2020 XLE,

Given your position in life, you need to work out what kind of financial hit would be involved if you switch, and if that hit would be trivial or serious.

problem is I would now be paying for 7 years. After a year I should either pull the trigger and do it or let it go. Any thoughts or advice to assist in my debacle

This is not meant as criticism of you, it is my opinion on your position in life:

You are a man, you have a mans responsibilities, and sacrificing your own desires comes with the territory. Taking care of your family comes well before anything else. In this case you need to work to make their/your financial position safe and comfortable. You might be able to make a switch for modest cost if you can use the current lock down to your favor. Depending on where you live you may have to call and make an appointment to look at cars. If you do it would be polite to show up in gloves and a mask, and keep them on the whole time you are there. The dealer may be hungry/desperate for business and may be able to cut you a solid deal. Or they may not, I don't know.

Kids are expensive and more important than any car, they need to be your main focus for a while, even if you have to ride around on a moped. Maybe you can doll up the existing car. Even if you are stuck with it, it's not like it's some 20 year old junker, you have a nice new car, you still can be happy about that even if this car isn't perfect.

Something you can do right now is save up money towards the next car. You get a seven year loan but you pay off five years up front and suddenly you are paying almost nothing in interest. Get your wife's support and buy-in on this and you can use the thought of a big reward to discipline and motivate yourself to save.
(click to expand)
I'm sorry, I don't believe everything that you wrote….rather I believe what the discussion starter wrote....BoyDaBoss.
Everything else that you wrote, is not just good advice, but wonderful advice.....like a Father would tell a son. Obviously, KenMcE, you are North of 40, and have gained a lot of good wisdom....besides having a wonderful taste in cars...be safe up there in NY, bro.

BDB:
There was this bartender up in NY (AOC) that has made some outrageous claims, and is destined to be a "one hit wonder", mainly because her opinions change like the wind....and has claimed "now I'm the Boss"....look it up....

There is this old guy...Warren Buffet...he is a Billionaire....and started investing at age 11...success does not just "fall into one's lap" by chance....it can take decades of extraordinarily good decisions, to come out on top. One good decision (by my first example), can still lead to failure with a string of bad decisions. In the same "vein of thought" one bad decision can be overcome with a string of good decisions....so it is not to late for you!!! When you do not know what to do...sometimes doing nothing (right now) is best. Motion is not always an indicator of progress.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been thinking about your position and some of the things the other posters are saying and I have a suggestion:

Go to the Mrs. and tell her , "Honey, the Highlander is a nice car. It has low miles, is practically new, has every safety feature known to man, and has that solid Toyota mechanical reliability. I am comfortable with the thought of you and the kids driving around in this car and I think we should make this your car."

Then say, "Obviously we are going to need two cars, but the other car doesn't need to be at this level. I can drive something that is older, has a few miles on it, maybe not this nice, but something that is still mechanically reliable. Right now the economy is funny, we have child # 3 to start saving up for, and maybe some years down the road when the kids are older we can look around for a nicer second car."

Now if she goes for it, you make sure that the HL really is her car and is exactly how she wants it. If she says to you that she was watching Oprah, and Oprah has brushed titanium pocketbook hooks in her car, you go out and you start looking for brushed titanium. If she brings you an ad for car floor mats that have "an exciting and colorful floral pattern that all your friends are sure to admire", you go out and you get daisy floor mats and you put them everywhere, and you make sure they are all nicely installed. You get the idea.

And what about you? My recollection is that a new car loses about half its value by the time it is three years old, but not half it's life expectancy. You start looking for anything you like, but you don't even read about anything less than three or four years old, maybe set yourself a limit of $10K max. (Fellow posters, is this a reasonable limit?) You want a good frame and power train, the body not so much. You look for something that if you bash it on a rock, you go too close under a branch, you don't care.

I don't know if you drive stick, but this second car could be manual transmission simply because it is more fun to drive stick. If you don't, this is a perfect chance to learn something new and useful.

Now she has a nice clean & shiny momy mobile, and you can play on weekends and not worry about scratches or her being stuck in the house with the kids. Everybody wins.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts