Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I screwed up.

On my recently purchased 2004 tundra I was checking the fluids and noticed my automatic transmission was low on fluid.

Last week without hesitating I went to AutoZone and got some ATF fluid which at the time I thought was correct. I didn't have a Haynes manual which was the first mistake.

What I purchased was Castrol transmax DEX/MERC.

I added a little over 1.25 qts.

Yesterday after reading through some stuff in my newly purchased Haynes manual, I found out that I should've put Toyota type IV ATF fluid in.

Now what?

I've driven about 350 miles since I put the wrong fluid in.

Do I go to the dealer and have them do a complete flush and them refill with brand-new Toyota recommended fluid?

I know my local dealer does what they call a fluid exchange? But I don't know exactly what that completely covers.

I do have a mityvac that I have used to drain oil on my previous vehicles, I simply stick a tube down the dipstick and pump it and the suction pulls most of the fluid out.

Has anyone else admitted to doing this, and what did you do?

I know without completely draining /flushing all the fluid, including the torque converter there's gonna be some of this new fluid in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Fixed the issue best of my ability.

Received some advice from a Toyota Master Tech. (Been a tech since 1979)

His words "it's not as bad as you think especially since you only added a small amount"

The tech stated "I would like to recommend is to drain the fluid out while the plug is out start the engine to purge some of the fluid out of the converter"

I followed his advice and drained the fluid, and while it was draining, I started the engine with the transmission is park (didn't move from park), let it run for about 25 seconds. Shut the engine off.

After draining completely, I put the drain plug back in torqued to 15 ft lbs as suggested by my Haynes manual. I then added about 4 qts of Toyota type T-IV transmission fluid I got from the dealer ran the engine to normal operating temp and begin to check my fluid and adding until full.

It took about 5 1/4 qts to get to the proper mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I have a ? Do u know the orientation of the carrier center bearing on drive shaft or do you maybe have a photo to help me out I have same truck and I took it apart without marking the carrier bearing orientation and I'm stuck I can't find any kind of orientation paperwork or anything anywhere any computer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts