Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the last of the big three: the positive from the alternator to the positive on the battery. I was readinga thread and it said that I should add a fuse near the battery+ end of the wire.

My question is this: What type of fuse connection thing do i need, and what amp rating should i use(300?)?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
AGU or anl 60-100amps should be fine

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
so... you didnt have a fuse near the battery on the wire that goes to the amp?:hammer:

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amp? you mean my audio amp, right?

yes my amp wire has a fuse in it

i guess my real question is: qhere is the positive terminal on the alt on a gen2 camry, and how do i rig up a fuse to the 4awg wire im going ot use?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
why do you need a fuse between the alternator and the battery?? you won't even know that the fuse blows until your battery is dead

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so in the case of some elecritcal malfunction, my battery doesn't blow up.

i hear its pretty messy...

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
...and the debate begins, you need an inline fuse holder for 4 awg, try knukonceptz.com

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
I'm upgrading my big 3, got everything I need except a fuse for the alt + to bat +. Didn't really find the answer I was looking for, but close. I'm getting a voltmeter, so I would know if the fuse blew, but is it a waste of money or should I get one, and if I do, using 4 Gauge wire, what would be the best size fuse? I'm thinking an anl 60amp fuse. Has anyone ever done this upgrade without a fuse and had their battery blow? I don't want to run this into the fuse that the old Alternator wire runs to.

Summed up, is it worth the extra money to buy a fuse for the alt + to bat + where I'll be using 4 gauge wire?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
no

your battery will be fine

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
all i can say is this...

i had this debate before online and with friends... why even risk it? A fuse and holder will be like $10 or something... fuses never hurt as long as they are the right size and save troubles down the road

·
Registered
171 Posts
i would look in the fuse box near the batt to see what the existing alt fuse is rated at. Match that one for your new wire.

·
1,858 Posts
I'm sure you'd be safe without a fuse since there isn't one from the factory. The alternator only makes 80a so there's no need for a fuse larger than that.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok where is the pos terminal on the alternator? I have looked all over and can't find it :sosad:

·
Grenaded piston
6,583 Posts
^ Its on the top of the alternator, underneath a grey plastic cover.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
88 LE said:
^ Its on the top of the alternator, underneath a grey plastic cover.
edit: how is that grey plastic cover removed? I tried pulling it, twisting it, prying it... Chiltons manual doesn't specify how to remove it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stealth said:
I'm sure you'd be safe without a fuse since there isn't one from the factory. The alternator only makes 80a so there's no need for a fuse larger than that.
Funny, I'm sure I saw a 100A fuse marked ALT in the fuse box near my batt. I'll check tomorrow.

·
1,858 Posts
Maybe you got the V6 or maybe its because you have the XLE, or maybe the Gen 4s have 100A, but im 99% the Gen3s are all 80A.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
userlain said:
edit: how is that grey plastic cover removed? I tried pulling it, twisting it, prying it... Chiltons manual doesn't specify how to remove it.
Answer this.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Don't know about on your camry, but on a corolla, you kind of pull it away from the alternator and then parallel to the alternator, along the wire.... if that makes sense. Just mess around with it, it shouldn't be that hard to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts