326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i barley get like 18 mpg :headbang: damn v6!!!! haha :lol:

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
174 Posts
i barley get like 18 mpg :headbang: damn v6!!!! haha :lol:
i get 35-37 highway 32-33 town.... on my 2.0 with 259,000 miles on original motor.. oh not to mention it doesnt burn a lick of oil :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
How do you guys get so much mpg?!?!?! I live in new york and i barely get 18 city and 20 highway. I have a 4/2.0 and my engine leaks oil like crazy. Does anybody know of a quick fix for the oil leaking? Its coming from underneath the belt.

·
Registered
91 Camry DX
32 Posts
36 highway, 28 around town with my 4 banger. No quick fix for the oil leaks unfortunately. Best to get in there and replace them. I was leaking about a quart every 400 miles before I replaced all my seals.

·
Registered
Camry
629 Posts
Mix of city and highway I get like 20mpg.

city is under 20 probably 18 highway is probably 22

but my car is running stupid rich. Now it's worse that I'm on 15psi untuned the ecu is dumping fuel like crazy. My car when I let off backfires and burbles liek a damn lambo.lol I wouldn't be surprised if fuel came out the exhaust.lol

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,890 Posts
My various Camry configurations:

Original 3s-fe manual: 28 city / 36+ hwy
Turbo 3s-fe manual: 30ish mixed, premium gas
3s-gte manual: 20-24ish, premium gas with leaking gas tank (ouch!)
3s-fe auto alltrac: 24 city / 28 hwy (rated 20/24!)

I'm hoping my Alltrac will stay at/above 20mpg after the motor swap...

-Charlie

·
Registered
907 Posts
1988 3S-FE 5 Speed Wagon 160,000. Average city/highway: Best in summer 38 mpg, average in summer 35 mpg. Best in winter 28 mpg, average 26 mpg. This is with premium.

I think the biggest thing is your driving style, very smooth acceleration and coast when you can, don't stay on the gas and then mash the brakes at the last second.

The second biggest is spark plugs. I like NGK V-Power, they are cheap, about $2 a plug and I put a new set in every spring. A new set of plugs can be worth a few mpg depending on how bad the current ones are. And if it has not been done put a new set of spark plug wires, cap and rotor on too. And check you timing.

Keep the right amount of air in your tires and watch your air filter, keep unnecessary weight out of the car. If you do all the tune up things even if you drive a little hard some of the time you should be able to hit 30 mpg.

When I put a new timing belt on I replaced the front main seal (they don't call it that, I forget the name) and the cam shaft seal. This did wonders for my oil leak. Very easy to do if you take your time.

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man im jealous i got a dang v6 and i hate my mpg =[

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
man im jealous i got a dang v6 and i hate my mpg =[
I bet you're jealous only until that light turns green !:burnout:

1990 DX Sedan 4cyl with 110k miles, K&N Drop in filter, Castro High Mileage Oil, Shell Gas Only: 87 octane (running 89 now).

I get 25-26 MPG mixed/city. Haven't went on a long trip with it yet but I'm sure I could get 30+ MPGs. Runs like a new car, leaks/burns no oil that I know of.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
174 Posts

1990 DX Sedan 4cyl with 110k miles, K&N Drop in filter, Castro High Mileage Oil, Shell Gas Only: 87 octane (running 89 now).

I get 25-26 MPG mixed/city. Haven't went on a long trip with it yet but I'm sure I could get 30+ MPGs. Runs like a new car, leaks/burns no oil that I know of.
speaking of gas.... i been told if i run 93 octane in my car it will cause the engine to knock... is that true??? whats the situation on that stuff?

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is no need for premium in our cars. It doesn't give you any more power with a higher octane, it's only slower to detonate for high compression cars.

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

lolz haha yeah... i would be lying if i said i dont gun it on some civic and other hondas on the light =]

some get too confident (like an integra non vtec) and end up seeing the back of my car with the hazards on as they drive in disbelief that they just got WHOOPED :eek:wnedsmasby a 2nd gen camry LOLZ!!! (true story)

1991 2.5 V6 DX with MAF cone filter adapter, rebuilt ported and polished head with bigger bore:eek:hyeah:, rebuilt lower block and new rods and pistons, synthetic blend 10w/40 about to switch to full synthetic soon!!, new radiator and thermostat, new spark plugs and cables, (-) grounding kit for stable volts to all (most) electronics, lexus es250 strut bar and tower strut, and basic 88 octane gas =]:naughty:

cant help it but BONE THE FUCK OUT ON THE FWY!!! lolz :lol:

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as much as this is only a camry!! I've spent over 2k on it and im not even done yet!! just need some paint and some springs and that's it =] any maybe a car wash hehe

WATCH OUT YOU MIGHT SEE ME ON THE STREETS!!! LOLZ

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
haha hey well my camry didnt need that much work.. well at least not yet.. i spent 2k on just the motor hopefully with the help and opinions of otheres i can do more than just simple mods =]

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
Does that grounding kit work and do you have a link for it? My lights dim every time my Bass hits, and i think my alternator cant keep up but im sure it could be a grounding issue. How does that work out for you?

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Does that grounding kit work and do you have a link for it? My lights dim every time my Bass hits, and i think my alternator cant keep up but im sure it could be a grounding issue. How does that work out for you?

well i got mine on EBAY!! http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=grounding+kit&_sacat=See-All-Categories

for around $30.. not bad compared to the HKS one that sells for almost 150!!!! work the same you just pay for the label HKS...

well i had the same problem when i had my kicker cvr hitting, but i bought a capacitor for my amp and worked really good, it increases the bass depth and used less power from my batter (lights dont dim), in your case you should get a stronger battery if you still have your stock one or base battery (get a higher crank battery), and invest in a capacitor 2.0 farad for under $60 at frys (car adiuo shops will charger over $100!!) then instal a ground kit to stablize your alternator, head lamps, etc etc....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took my 91 AFE (AKA“Cream Puff”) on a fishing trip this weekend. Car has 211K on it. Tires are 13” 155’s. On the way to Big Pine I got 34.7 MPG going 80-85 MPH with the A/C on the whole time, and in some places the wind was blowing hard. Also, the trunk was packed with fire wood. On the way home today, (no firewood), driving 80-85, wind blowing bad at times, no A/C I got 41.2 MPG. That is hard core.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts