Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a CD-MP3 player into my car---99 Corolla. Where can I buy and have it installed? How much does it cost? Which brands do you like? I also prefer something cheaper, but with good quality.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.
Charlotte

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
Its not hard to just change out the stock radio for an aftermarket one. Just go to an audio shop anywhere and they'll do it. Doesnt take more then half an hour to do (even less if you've done many before). I like Sony Xplod. The head units they have look pretty neat. But there not too expensive nor cheap (in the ball park of 180 up 400)

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
1,121 Posts
depends what you want, gps, bluetooth, USB, ipod control etc. Too many choices lol but if you want cheap then get just a plain jane one. I normally stick with Alpine or Kenwood. Speaking of which I want one for my corolla too sigh.

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
710 Posts
I have a Panasonic for sale. It's like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015MN5EU Plays MP3 on CD or flash drive, Aux input, etc.

I had it in my car. I liked it but the car got smushed. Includes wire harness for Corolla's. Paid over $100 I think. Make offer.

Gil

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
Well i dont have the Xplod anymore, as i switch to a new JVC Arsenal series now that just came out.

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
Charlotte

If you just want MP3 capability, this is a great unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDPDR30/JVC-KD-PDR30.html?search=JVC&searchdisplay=JVC&tp=5684

But if you want to spend $20 more, get this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDHDR20/JVC-KD-HDR20.html?search=JVC&searchdisplay=JVC&tp=5684

HD radio is free, and amazing.

I'd get it from Crutchfield as you sound like a relative beginner. They include everything, directions, wiring harnesses and phone support. Wiring is as easy as matching colors to each other.

These JVC units have excellent built-in amplifiers and great sound quality. I have the HD-R1 (discontinued) and it's just a phenomenal value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought an autozone mp3 cd player and installed it myself on my 99 its simple just get the harness to your car should be around twenty bucks the radio was one hundred and then just look at the wires blue with blue, blue with black line goes with the blue with black line and if you dont find a wire that matches just leave it alone and with the one i got you have to take off the factory ears off the side of your stock radio and mount them on the new one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I installed one in my fiance's Corolla. It's an Alpine unit (CDA-9856 I believe...great head unit). It's really a straight forward install. If you order through Crutchfield, they'll give you a Toyota harness to splice in (the wires are color coded and match up) and it's pretty much plug and play with the existing radio harness. If you've ever sliced/capped wires together before then you can probably do this yourself and save some money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.