Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Ok so i want to see if the v6 vvt-i will fit in my I4 camry. any ideas on fitment and mounts? thanks

----------

ok so whenever i fully stear to either right or left, it makes a horrible ERRRRR sound... the tires are rubbing against something? and is there any way i could make it not overturn so i don't get that noise?

I have the is it 5sfz engine? the I4 and i was lookin at the I4 vvt-i and the v6 vvt-i. will both fit my car? or is 1,000 for engine + labor just not worth it? (i would like to work on it to gain more experience on cars so...)

Also.. I finally got my ram from ebay installed and now i'm looking at cold air. do y'all think that looking for some junk chrome piping to weld to the original to stick it down the fender is better or should i cut out a triangle on stock hood on the driver side, and get a grill and make a plastic box that goes to the ram filter?

thanks for ur time and opinions !

·
TACO FTW
371 Posts
The noise when turning all the way is your power steering pump being really stressed it will pump all the way to one side and then pop back a little, this is normal but it is hard on the pump.

I believe the engine you have is an 2.2L i4 5S-FE, this engine is not vvt-i.
I believe the vvt-i didnt come in camry 4 cylinders until the 2.4L i4 2AZ-FE.
So the engines with vvt-i would be the 2.4L engines and wouldnt fit.

In my opinion you should run the cai down into the fender, because that is reverseable, also if you wnet through a puttle or were in a downpour an opening in the hood, I think would allow more weather into your intake.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
92_Gen3_5SFE_LE said:
In my opinion you should run the cai down into the fender, because that is reverseable, also if you wnet through a puttle or were in a downpour an opening in the hood, I think would allow more weather into your intake.
^ yeah good point

ok so the I4 are 5S-FE, that makes the v6 1mz-FE for the gen4. there is a 1mz-fe vvt-i on ebay, would that fit into my car with new mounting? (and new suspension)

·
TACO FTW
371 Posts
I'm not an expert on this, but if you have a 1MZ-FE and want to put in a 1MZ-FE with vvt-i all you would need is the engine and a vvt-i ECU to control the engine. I think the mounts are the same and the suspention shouldnt be different because it is the same physical engine block.

although I think Zoni could give you a better answer seeing as he did a huge swap with a 1MZ-FE.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Basically to swap in a v6 you need everything under the hood from a V6 car and the ECU and all wiring. This would be for one with or without vvt

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
ecu, engine, tranny, brake pads, rotors, calipers, bushings (still not sure about the whole harness but i think you dont need taht) 15" wheels... etc.

bascially a whole front clip.. if you can find one get it.. but if u get that motor on ebay. your gon be missing a bunch of stuff...

do yourself a favor... instead of buying that motor, save that cash, and save an extra 1000 on top of that.. once u do that.. sell your car and buy one with a v6
you can swap all your shit from your I4 on it and still save a ton of money...

its like switiching to geico.. could save you alot of hassle or more...

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
you will learn tons from a swap like this but you will put in a lot of money and a lot of man hours.

they are not easily swappable.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
it is vvt-i and it is variable valve timing. Search on here and toyotas website and you will know all you need to know. Gives max HP and fuel economy.

·
4,180 Posts
Swap

Zoni,
I was thinking in the future of picking up a manual 5S-FE Solara and doing the 3S-GTE swap. My existing car is already supercharged and Im not touching it. What type of numbers ($$) have you run across for a full 3S-GTE swap not including building up the motor. Thanks Jon. p.s. I've also heard the 1MZ-FE manual transmission is a direct bolt onto the 3S-GTE so that might work out really well, knowing that the 3S-GTE drops right onto the 5S-FE motor mounts and man trans between the 1MZ-FE and 5S-FE are probably the same (maybe internally diff??).

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
i cant give you a total price estimate for 2 reasons... 1, i havent done a 3sgte swap. and 2, every swap is different and where you get your parts and which parts you chose to get will make a difference between 2500 and 4000-5000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts