Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Venzoid
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the idea for this thread from another discussion on AWD and snow. The engine choice decision is one we have all made as owners. People often talk about the car being loaded with 5 people and a boat etc, but I like the V6 power for a safe, spirited overtake. In fact, a "friend" said he tested his v6 on a dry, straight road with no one else around and found that his V6 easily hit 160 km/hr (100 mph) and the needle was flying by it when he put an end to the silliness. After that, his "friend" wonders how fast the V6 would actually go ... and will throw this question out to the community who might have accidentally depressed the accelerator for an extra second or two (under safe conditions of course).

The bottom line is that the V6 can provide you with safe (brisk), confident overtaking in the 80 - 120 km/hr (50-75 mph) area. How do the I4s perform in this range?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I only drive 5 mph over the limit so I don't have to pass too many cars, but never had a problem with the I-4. If you are obsessed with passing other cars you probably need the 6!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just recently, I was following someone doing 80km on a 2 lane backroad. I manually downshifted to 3rd, put the "pedal to the metal" and found myself doing 140km in about 3 seconds. Quite impressive.
Yes, I slowed down considerably after merging back into my lane.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I only drive 5 mph over the limit so I don't have to pass too many cars, but never had a problem with the I-4. If you are obsessed with passing other cars you probably need the 6!
ditto ! I find that the I4 has sufficient power for my driving needs.
honeybee

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's just a matter of driving style. I am in no big rush to overtake cars, but if you push the I4, it will move.

0 to 60mph for V6 is a tad under 8 seconds, I4 is 10 seconds.

Acceleration at higher speeds has not been measured, but the I4 has 182lb.ft of torque @ at a relatively low 4,200 rpm, which translates to decent power.

OTH the V6 delivers a heftier 246lb.ft, but at a higher 4,700 rpm

The Venza was not specifically designed to be a sporty kind of car, moreso safety, utility, style, and comfort.

If I wanted speed, and performance, I would have gotten an Audi :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well like I've posted before I am a young (26) family guy; that's why I got the Venza for the versatility. But My heart of a racer is still in me, so I'd put my station wagon (I4) to the limits every now and then (when I'm driving by myself). Last time I did, i went as fast as 120 MPH it didn't feel too safe but the power was there. I think I could've gone faster cuz the engine was roaring for more. But with the stock tires I don't feel safe after 100 MPH. Maybe when I replace them to low profile I can go a little faster. LOL

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's just a matter of driving style. I am in no big rush to overtake cars, but if you push the I4, it will move.

0 to 60mph for V6 is a tad under 8 seconds, I4 is 10 seconds.

Acceleration at higher speeds has not been measured, but the I4 has 182lb.ft of torque @ at a relatively low 4,200 rpm, which translates to decent power.

OTH the V6 delivers a heftier 246lb.ft, but at a higher 4,700 rpm

The Venza was not specifically designed to be a sporty kind of car, moreso safety, utility, style, and comfort.

If I wanted speed, and performance, I would have gotten an Audi :)
This site claims 5 seconds 0-60 for the V6 Venza.

http://www.seattleauto.net/seattle-test-drive-review-for-the-2009-toyota-venza

and the mfr estimate is 6.7 seconds.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0901_2009_toyota_venza_first_drive/packages_specs.html

I think we need to revise that "tad" comment. The V6 blows the I4 out of the water. Your observation of RPM speeds and peak torque are misleading as the variable cam timing ensures 90% of the torque is avaible from 2,300 to 6,000 RPM with the V6. Evidence is the kick in the pants I get as the tach revs past 2,500 RPM. :cool:

Also, have a look at this brochure - page 3.

http://www.zzlexus.com/uploadfile/down/RX350_E-brochure_tcm276-134268.pdf

I4 10 seconds 0-60 is barely adequate considering tests are done with driver only. Add passengers and 0-60, 50-80 mph times climb significantly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In fact, a "friend" said he tested his v6 on a dry, straight road with no one else around and found that his V6 easily hit 160 km/hr (100 mph) and the needle was flying by it when he put an end to the silliness. After that, his "friend" wonders how fast the V6 would actually go ... and will throw this question out to the community who might have accidentally depressed the accelerator for an extra second or two (under safe conditions of course).

The bottom line is that the V6 can provide you with safe (brisk), confident overtaking in the 80 - 120 km/hr (50-75 mph) area. How do the I4s perform in this range?
More than 10 years ago, I got to the top speed or a CRV with the 2.0L, 126 HP motor, which is around 165 km/h. You can guess that the CRV drag is similar to the Venza drag, still the Venza has 182HP, so I'd guess it's top speed would be somewhat higher.

However, that was a long time ago. Right now, speed trap will keep me below 120 km/h 99% of the time. Now I need to go to western Canada throuh northern Ontario this spring. There you can find «safe» testing road (and by safe I mean you-don't-see-any-car-or-living-soul-for-half-an-hour safe).

Otherwise, if I remember well, there is no daytime speed limit in Montana (on the Highway...) Anybody tried that in Montana?

jf

·
Registered
254 Posts
Of course the V6 is stronger than the 4.

Do you want a medal Dannoboy :)

Just equating driving styles with types of engine. No need to foam at the mouth over it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am considering the Venza for my wife.

What engine and what local and hwy mpg do you guys get in real world driving.
As measured by the Venza system (on a I4-AWD), I get between 8.9 to 9.1 l/100km, after break-in period. About 110 km/day on the highway and 40 km in city. This being said A) I don't go over 110kph and always use the cruise control. B) I'm not in a hurry at all to get to the red light or the stop. My goal is to remove my foot from the accelerator as soon as possible when I guess I'll get on a red light. Since the Venza is pretty heavy, it can cruise for a very long time with accumulated kinetic energy. But when drive it in a sporty way in the city, it will hurt seriously the consumption.

I think I'm driving a boat. When I need to merge into the highway, I use all the power of the engine to get to speed as fast as possible. On the rest of the ride, I try to accelerate as slowly as possible, to stay in the high gear and make the engine rev as little as possible.

jf

·
Registered
363 Posts
Remember when an 1984 Honda Prelude did 0-60 in 11s, and it was considered "fast"? Remember when a Porsche 928 did 0-60 in in low 6s?

If you revel in giving your car the boot once in a while good for you ( I know do :LOL: ) , but 10s 0-60 is more than adequate for real world driving.

·
Venzoid
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I have to compliment the Venza on is complete absence of torque steer when putting the power down, even when the you have ice or gravel on only one side. This is something that the I4 guys with AWD will probably agree on as well. Any torque steer in the FWDs?

BTW anyone who paid the extra $1500 is entitled to foam at the mouth. I wipe it off though with the free hand towels when Im filling it up.:lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am considering the Venza for my wife.

What engine and what local and hwy mpg do you guys get in real world driving.

tks

Pete
Real world... check out fuellly.com you can filter through the Venzas reporting in and see what others are getting. There are 16 Venzas reporting mileage there. You can filter the motor to compare I4 to V6.

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
183 Posts
More than 10 years ago, I got to the top speed or a CRV with the 2.0L, 126 HP motor, which is around 165 km/h. You can guess that the CRV drag is similar to the Venza drag, still the Venza has 182HP, so I'd guess it's top speed would be somewhat higher.
jf
The Venza has S rated tires as standard equipment. S rated tires have a max speed of 112mph (180 kph).

I suspect that the on board computer has a max speed limit setting to stay within the tire limits.

John

·
Registered
254 Posts
"BTW anyone who paid the extra $1500 is entitled to foam at the mouth"

That was CAD1700$ on the 2009 model.

BTW Foaming at the mouth does not mean salivating!

·
Registered
549 Posts
One thing I have to compliment the Venza on is complete absence of torque steer when putting the power down, even when the you have ice or gravel on only one side. This is something that the I4 guys with AWD will probably agree on as well. Any torque steer in the FWDs?

BTW anyone who paid the extra $1500 is entitled to foam at the mouth. I wipe it off though with the free hand towels when Im filling it up.:lol:
There is definately torque steer in the FWD. Have you really floored it from a start and hit about 5,000 RPM's yet? That is right where if "kicks" in. I've only done that once or twice because usually half pedal is very fast in the V6.

On top speed I'd guess the V6 would do 135+ but most of us will never know because there is a road speed governer that stops the car at 115mph IIRC.

Also the 0-60 on the V6 isn't 8 seconds, it's 6.7.

·
11,320 Posts
This site claims 5 seconds 0-60 for the V6 Venza.

http://www.seattleauto.net/seattle-test-drive-review-for-the-2009-toyota-venza

and the mfr estimate is 6.7 seconds.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0901_2009_toyota_venza_first_drive/packages_specs.html

I think we need to revise that "tad" comment. The V6 blows the I4 out of the water. Your observation of RPM speeds and peak torque are misleading as the variable cam timing ensures 90% of the torque is avaible from 2,300 to 6,000 RPM with the V6. Evidence is the kick in the pants I get as the tach revs past 2,500 RPM. :cool:

Also, have a look at this brochure - page 3.

http://www.zzlexus.com/uploadfile/down/RX350_E-brochure_tcm276-134268.pdf

I4 10 seconds 0-60 is barely adequate considering tests are done with driver only. Add passengers and 0-60, 50-80 mph times climb significantly.
That's not always the case. Depends on how well the tranny and engine work as a team and the torque.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Feb-10 issue of Car & Driver has the RAV4 (V6 with older 5 sp), hitting 60 in the mid-6s. High 6s to low 7s seems plausible for the V6 Venza, which carries maybe 600 lbs more weight.

C&D also clocked the I4-AWD in the mid-8s to 60 back in their Jun-09 issue, so a high 8 to low 9s seems a reasonable estimate for the the AWD.

My previous car, a 03 Accord I4 did mid-8s 0-60, and was still responsive with 5 on board plus luggage.
Don't expect I'll have any issues with the Venza similarly loaded.

·
Registered
254 Posts
"That's not always the case. Depends on how well the tranny and engine work as a team and the torque."

Agreed.

For someone claiming to be against misinformation, the following is so wrong its ludicrous:

"I4 10 seconds 0-60 is barely adequate considering tests are done with driver only. Add passengers and 0-60, 50-80 mph times climb significantly"

The above statement is biased, and total BS.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
About this Discussion
86 Replies
36 Participants
nhcycle
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing