Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help my son buy his first vehicle. I have a V6 2005 Tacoma which he has driven. He is looking for 4x4, manual tranny and access cab...or crew cab. He is 20 and active duty military enlisted. As I've looked through many ads at carmax and cars.com, I4 motors are a plenty. V6 hard to find.

I would appreciate thoughts on I4 vs V6. Initial thoughts (I could be wrong):
- I4 less towing capacity than V6
- I4 better gas mileage. How much?

Is the I4 more than adequate for this truck?
Any maintenance issues out there on the I4 or V6?

Manual vs auto tranny opinions please.

THANKS!

·
Registered
tacoma
486 Posts
i just have the tacoma 4x2
but the I4 engine is a very strong engine and very reliable
needs spark plugs at 100K
and that is about the end of maintenance except oil and filters.

now what is he going to do with a 4x4? just cruse around or off road?

it is a strong engine, but still 4 cylinders !!!!

if you drive it right you get good millage, lead foot = like a v6
i have a scanguage 11 and monitor my millage and do not drive with a heavy foot and get great millage, but you will not do as good with a 4x4

the i4 has it's torque at low revs so i usually shift around 2k rpm

think you need to drive a i4 before making any decisions, might be too weak for you? or might be "just right"

·
Registered
2008 TRD SPORT
210 Posts
If you care a lot about mpg, easy on the throttle and not needing the extra power, 4cylinder would be wise.
Ive owned both 6speed and auto V6, I liked how the auto performed, it seemed very solid to me and I drive it hard sometimes. I love the manual eventhough there's some common issues with it that u to get used to. As far as V6 goes, auto gets better mpg.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AS far as what he is going to do with a 4x4, he will be stationed in Southern California. I don't recall there being much unless you go East a few hours.

What are the known issues with the manual tranny?

·
Registered
455 Posts
As far as mileage goes I think most people get about 18mpg with V6 and 23 with I4. That seems to be the middle of the road numbers. Some days I wish I'd bought a V6, but they are rare. I4 is a good solid engine. I see mostly V6s and 4wd here. I've seem some horror stories with the 6 speed manual on this forum. Don't remember seeing any problem with the 5 speed. If getting a V6 seriously consider an automatic. Towing capacity is going to be less with a 4 cyl. The capacity may be the same, but making it up that hill will vary. The V6 is really powerful for a 6.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
What are the known issues with the manual tranny?
Only thing I know of is the clutch squeaks every once in awhile, but it's so common around here there's no way to tell if it's actually malevolent or just squeaking because it can. I've marked it up to the latter.

Also, I have the V6 Auto w/ 4x4. I love my V6. Also, you don't get V6 owners saying they want more power as often compared to how much you get it from I4 owners.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 4x4 access cab with the 4 cylinder and my brother in law has an access cab with the V6 and manual transmission. His truck is way quicker than mine but he barely gets 18mpg and I get 23 consistently and I don't drive slow. But it is mostly highway. I guess it all depends on what you are used to. Most of the Toyota trucks i've owned over the last 20 years were 22R 4 cylinder powered. Compared to those my 2.7 tacoma is pretty quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts