Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i actually own a 92 mr2 with a heavily modified 5sfte build and i was wondering if the cold start injector would be a good location for my iat sensor. I can fit it right behind the throttle body where the egr was but i have a bracket already that will fit perfectly in the csi location and has a 3/8 npt threading for the sensor Any help or opinion would be appreciated A
Automotive tire Tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think i have a pcv i deleted a lot of stuff but according to holley website behind the throttle body is next best compared to right in front of it. Thanks for the help though

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Good luck with your changes. All 5S-FE engines had PCV setups. There is no such thing as a 5S-FTE engine - you (or someone else) created it on your own. If you are not venting the crankcase, especially with a turbo addition, you will see your oil seals weep/leak and watch for your dtip stick being blown out of the holder. Piston blowby has to go somewhere - the crankcase isn't designed to seal in the blow-by gases. 3S-GTE engines eliminated the valve in the PCV setup due to the increased blow-by ventilation requirements of a turbo engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with your changes. All 5S-FE engines had PCV setups. There is no such thing as a 5S-FTE engine - you (or someone else) created it on your own. If you are not venting the crankcase, especially with a turbo addition, you will see your oil seals weep/leak and watch for your dtip stick being blown out of the holder. Piston blowby has to go somewhere - the crankcase isn't designed to seal in the blow-by gases. 3S-GTE engines eliminated the valve in the PCV setup due to the increased blow-by ventilation requirements of a turbo engine.
I dont understand your advice u didnt anywhere near answer the question and gave me info that i am already aware of. Of course there is no factory 5sfte. And ya no pvc equals a cusco oil catch can for the oil blow by problems. I figured out where to mount it no need for anymore advice thank you

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I dont understand your advice u didnt anywhere near answer the question and gave me info that i am already aware of. Of course there is no factory 5sfte. And ya no pvc equals a cusco oil catch can for the oil blow by problems. I figured out where to mount it no need for anymore advice thank you.
Didn't mean to get on your bad side. Just so many folks doing similar things and, if what you just stated now isn't in the request, we are just trying to look out for them so they don't cause a costly problem. You obviously are not in the norm - you have taken things like this into account. Good for you.

Now to your question: I don't know what kind of ECU setup you are running on your engine build. The 1992 3S-GTE that was used on MR2's had the intake air temperature sensor located just after the air filter - so it's ECU was using intake air temperature data prior to the turbo. If you put your intake air temperature sensor downstream of the turbo, the air temperatures will be elevated (the air will still be warmer after the intercooler on a turbo setup). So Sefio's concern is valid, if the ECU was programmed for IAT sensor data coming before the turbo. If your ECU programming was meant for IAT temps downstream of the turbo and intercooler, then your planned location would be a good one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't mean to get on your bad side. Just so many folks doing similar things and, if what you just stated now isn't in the request, we are just trying to look out for them so they don't cause a costly problem. You obviously are not in the norm - you have taken things like this into account. Good for you.

Now to your question: I don't know what kind of ECU setup you are running on your engine build. The 1992 3S-GTE that was used on MR2's had the intake air temperature sensor located just after the air filter - so it's ECU was using intake air temperature data prior to the turbo. If you put your intake air temperature sensor downstream of the turbo, the air temperatures will be elevated (the air will still be warmer after the intercooler on a turbo setup). So Sefio's concern is valid, if the ECU was programmed for IAT sensor data coming before the turbo. If your ECU programming was meant for IAT temps downstream of the turbo and intercooler, then your planned location would be a good one.
Ya i didnt mean to come off rude this is my first build, i owned a 91 mr2 5sfe before but only did maintenance on it so all this modding and prepping to have someone tune it is very new to me and i cant afford to have something go wrong on dyno/tune day. I didnt provide many details in my opening post so i apologize. Im gonna be running a v3 microsquirt with a racerx crank trigger kit.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
No, I made an errant assumption - I came across improperly. You are good. I need to apologize. Do you know what your Microsquirt ECU is expecting for the location of the IAT sensor (is it expecting the sensor to be upstream of the turbo vs. downstream of the turbo)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya i
No, I made an errant assumption - I came across improperly. You are good. I need to apologize. Do you know what your Microsquirt ECU is expecting for the location of the IAT sensor (is it expecting the sensor to be upstream of the turbo vs. downstream of the turbo)?
Dont trip brother no hard feelings. Ya i read through a megasquirt forum and they say closest to the throttle body as possible which makes sense especially since i might add water methanol after i brake the engine in

·
Registered
254 Posts
And,

If you are running a catch can, then it is likely center back into the intake manifold. EPA rules from the 80's made air venting illegal (except for racing, where the filtered vent is located on the inside angle of the valve cover.)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts