Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have two Camrys now with V6 I just thought to upgrade my sedan to lexus es300. I found a lexus es300 95 with blown engine for $600 (probably can get it even cheaper). What is about swapping motor from camry 96 V6 to that lexus (assuming body, interior and everything else is fine on it)? What do you think, guys?

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is the point. But I never had a lexus, so what would I gain (from extra features/quality/"more car for the money"/etc point of view)? And what is different between them mechanically (suspension? brakes? exhaust? steering? cooling?)

·
Registered
00 Camry
530 Posts
They are pretty much the same car. The only thing you are gaining is looks and any interior features. Insurance may be higher, but your car's residual value will go up based on it being a nicer, more "luxurious" car. Just make sure nothing else is wrong with the Lexus before you go swap that engine in.

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
Well, if they are the same year, then there is no difference mechanically. They have the same suspension, same brakes, same exhaust, same steering, same cooling. What you'd gain is more luxury, a more up-scale looking car, and I think the ES had a better factory sound system over the Camry.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
^ I think it might have slightly better exterior sound dampening as well.

In all honesty, I don't think it's worth the trouble of swapping the motor. It's the same car with different clothes. If it were me, I would keep that 600$ and the time you spend swapping the motor, and simply put it into a leather interior, some dynamat and an upgraded sound system. And look at it this way, the sedan is running just fine, why disturb that? If it was an MR2 and you wanted to swap in your 1MZ into it, I would agree, but not an ES300:thumbsup: Hope it helps!

EDIT: Here is another idea for you: Buy the car, and since the cars share a lot in common mechanically, use it as a parts car.

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, some people are swapping engines between camrys :)
Just called the guy, he is in the hospital now, so he was unable to provide me with a lot of info about the car. He said the engine pushed the rod. Don't know mileage yet, going to have a look on it this weekend (once the guy is back from the hospital).

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess, all es300 are J-vins, right? So, at least its ABS supposed to be different from my 4-vin wagon.....

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
Well, some people are swapping engines between camrys :)
QUOTE]

You seem already bent towards getting it:thumbsup: Well if you want to do it, then do it, but like I said, you have the sedan in great condition, why disturb that? At least you are aware of what shape the remaining parts are (outside of engine/trans). With this car, who only knows? You may end up sinking way more money than you initially planned. And again, I want to put a heavy emphasis on the fact that the camry sedan is already running and doesn't have any issues. I guess what I'm saying is the reward isn't worth the gamble you are taking. You gamble that the rest of the car is fine only to get leather seats, automated hvac and better sound? These are all things you can do to the Camry (except maybe automated hvac). And I'm pretty sure the lexus is heavier too. Is the body on the Camry starting to fall apart or something?

I mean, I know I sound condacending here, but I'm trying to be frank:) Learning experience-wise, I'd also say you could benefit from a better project, like say, swapping your 1mz into an MR2 or a Celica. I think that would be a much more fruitful project. You won't be learning all that much from this other than how to remove and install a 1MZ onto the same frame.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think it would be cool, you'd gain the luxury features. Though I've never liked the ES series. It wouldn't be hard, either. Shouldn't take you more than day if you have both cars sitting next to you!

Reactions: Nervous

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am not leaning yet, since I need to have a look on that car first. And yes, cheap MR2 + swap is also considering, however, it is MUCH more difficult project than camry->es300. I'm not sure it is doable w/o lift at all (since MR2's engine is removable through the bottom, as I heard).

And even if I find something else is wrong with es300 it is not a big deal (leaking steering? swap from camry!) :D j/k

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
I am not leaning yet, since I need to have a look on that car first. And yes, cheap MR2 + swap is also considering, however, it is MUCH more difficult project than camry->es300. I'm not sure it is doable w/o lift at all (since MR2's engine is removable through the bottom, as I heard).

And even if I find something else is wrong with es300 it is not a big deal (leaking steering? swap from camry!) :D j/k
Meh, well, it's up to you at the end of the day. I think it's pretty clear where I stand on this one:lol:

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
tired of fixing ABS issues? ;)

yeah if that's a J vin then your ABS would be a Nippondenso model, most likely with the Traction control too :)
Once you see the car check the shifter, if there is a TRAC OFF button around it then it must be a Denso unit, only those were supplied with Traction control.

Also I think (might be wrong here) that Lexuses have upgraded brakes, something like dual piston calipers and bigger rotors maybe ?

When I test drove '00 RX300 SUV (1mz-fe) it had front & rear disc brakes 10 times stronger (exaggerating of course) than my '00 Solara with Hawk HPS pads in front (and rear drums).

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Bigger rear disc brakes (same as the wagon), Dual piston front calipers (about the same as the abs v6 camry), ABS, Trac control?, FRAMELESS DOORS! :naughty:, sweet interior, projector headlights, different final drive? (check toyotareference.com brouchures), anddddd I dunno. The swap would be SUPER easy if it's the same year.

Just looked.... 96 into a 95 lex. It would work... you know the minor differences.

Reactions: Nervous

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tired of fixing ABS issues? ;)
Nah, the ABS issue is on Wagon :) Like you said, my other camry doesn't have the cancer called ABS :lol:

yeah if that's a J vin then your ABS would be a Nippondenso model, most likely with the Traction control too :)
Once you see the car check the shifter, if there is a TRAC OFF button around it then it must be a Denso unit, only those were supplied with Traction control.

Also I think (might be wrong here) that Lexuses have upgraded brakes, something like dual piston calipers and bigger rotors maybe ?

When I test drove '00 RX300 SUV (1mz-fe) it had front & rear disc brakes 10 times stronger (exaggerating of course) than my '00 Solara with Hawk HPS pads in front (and rear drums).
Hmm... Interesting point. Need to check this!

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
Nah, the ABS issue is on Wagon :) Like you said, my other camry doesn't have the cancer called ABS :lol:

Hmm... Interesting point. Need to check this!
:thumbsup:

I would go and at least see it, Lexuses are nice, if body, interior and suspension is good then it might be a sweet idea :D

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
the only big differance between the two is the tranny, the ES has a smaller final drive (also in teh SE) so it can make up for the extra weight and move a little faster then the camry. However, since this tranny can be found in the SE there should be no issues swapping the camry engine into the ES.

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, today I finally had a look on that Lexus. Unfortunately, it is not in that good cosmetic condition to swap engine from my camry to it. It has dents here and there, some rust and bubbling paint (not much though). Here are some pics:

More pics here: http://artyom.fotki.com/lexus/ password "es300".

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still think it might worth of 200-300 as a part car. The car has 200,000+ miles, buyt tranny was replaced 4 years ago, fluid is red. Engine has a lot of good parts still (ECU, egr, VSVs, coils, pan, valve cover, camshafts, sprokets/pulleys, alternator, A/C compressor, ABS (for J-vins)). P/S pump is useless for me (amazingly, es300 had hydraulic fans up to 96!). I was planning to retrofit my single-piston brakes on my sedan to dual pistons, plus, rear caliper mounting brackets. Wheels (my camry sedan has steel rims). A lot of interior/exterior parts for sale. Maybe I decide to swap entire front end (wagon's) to lexus one - lexus wagon! Or, at least I can try to use projectors.... Still thinking. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts