Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
Looks like a remote mount turbo. I would think considering the tight quarters of the engine bay that this would be the easiest setup. I don't know anything about the various pros and cons though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
youd need an addition oil pump to return the oil to the oil pan. Other than it getting severely heat stressed when you splash water on it i see no issues. Oh thats assuming one extends the intake to a little more "secure" area...

I also dont like how the WG just dumps straight into the exhuast at a 90* angle THAT close to the turbine. It should merge up about 18" or more farther on down the down pipe, and it should merge in, not slam in from a 90* angle! Other than those issues, not much :)

Thirdly I would NOT do a set of headers in conjuntion with a remote turbo. Headers are designed to scavange other cylinders, doing this is virtually impossible if there is a turbine in the exhaust path. Also headers will let out a lot of the heat of the escaping gas, another thing you dont want happen with a turbo! The idea of a turbo header is to keep each of the exhaust pulses, HOT and moving FAST. This way when the pulse hits the turbine it has the maximum effect! Eliminate the crossover, but keep the factory logs! :D

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm.. interesting cuz i was thinkin on gettin headers but ur sayin not too, so how would eliminate the cross over without gettin headers. n how would begin to get another oil pump n stuff u stated to work? thanxs for the info!

·
Registered
177 Posts
i havent fully researched the remote turbo methodology yet so Im not sure on details on the addtional oil pump....

Yeah headers + turbo = no no!

Personally if doing a remote mount, id buy an extra right hand side exhaust manifold and an extra crossover. The extra right hand manifold will bolt up to the drivers side without issue, and the extra crossover is for the flange to go with that manifold. From there you just fashion two down pipes to feed the turbo. Not as good as an in engine bay turbo, but not as bad as headers frankeinstiened into turbo headers. :)

·
Registered
89 Toyota Pickup
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i already have a drivers side mainfold i think all i would prolly need is a flanges from the crossover pipe and weld those flanges from the crossover pipe to the wannabe crossover eliminator!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts