Toyota Nation Forum banner

ideas on gas milage (help!)

1868 Views 29 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  n9emz
Hey guys/girls, I know there are about a MILLION posts on gas mileage, but I have almost 10,000 miles on my 06 extra cab V6 4X4 6sp sport, and I’m averaging 15-16 mpg, and that’s BABYING it (under 65 on all freeways, never RPM above 2500 anywhere). That’s with about 85% freeway driving too. I’m about to take it in for its 10,000 mile checkup and was wondering if you guys may have ideas of what could be causing this mileage. :confused:
I read about someone with a messed up O2 sensor, so I may have them check that out for me, is there anything else you can think of? Most ppl are averaging at least 17-18mpg, so I really think something is wrong with my truck. Thanks a lot!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
Honestly - you have an extra cab, 4 wheel drive truck with a 4 lieter engine. That is not the best choice for a highway driver. You are also driving on the winter mix of crappy gas. If you wanted much better than what you are getting you shouldnt of bought a 4 wheel drive truck.

Check your tire pressure and if you keep your highway rpm's below 2,000 you will do a little better.

Irvine ca also has a lot of steep hills and mountain type driving, that dosnt help either.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas guys, yeah I check my pressure usually every weekend after I air down off road, I have to air back up. I mean I know I’m not going to get great gas mileage, I’m lifting it at the end of the month, so my gas mileage is going to drop dramatically, I just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong with the truck, since the lift is going to kill my mileage even more..haha.

· need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,988 Posts
barlowrs said:
6 inch pro comp, 35 inch tires (may change my mind and go 33 or 285/75)...its going to have a pretty big impact..haha
but the lift itself should have no affect;)

Id go 34/35 with the 6 inch, 285s may look a little lost in the wheel well with that much lift. Sounds like its going to be a pretty sweet setup... Ill be looking forward to the pictures:)

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
amp2oo1 said:
but the lift itself should have no affect;)

Id go 34/35 with the 6 inch, 285s may look a little lost in the wheel well with that much lift. Sounds like its going to be a pretty sweet setup... Ill be looking forward to the pictures:)
well, thats where im unsure, my truck was the one pro comp used for development of the lift, so i get it all free, but in the development they relized that 35" do rub a little, and since i go offroad often, i cant flex that much. I'm going with the x terrain tires, and the 285/75 actually have a bigger diameter (33.1) than the 33x12.5 (32.7)..the 285 are just a bit skinnier, which is fine with me. im sure the 35" would look better, but for functionality, i think the 285 would be better

· Row Dialin'
2,821 Posts
Although you may disappointed, that's about what I get with my truck also. Maybe a little closer to 16-17.

The biggest difference I've seen is keeping it under 65 mph on the highway. It is what it is and I just drive the truck. I doubt there is anything wrong. You're just disappointed. The EPA estimates for our config. is 16/20. Sure it's the low end but it's within spec.

You can't listen to what everyone else is getting. There's too many factors to consider. Especially since driving style is one of the biggest ones. "They" aren't "you".

edit: I get 16-17 mpg and I DON'T keep it under 65. It's just when I have seen a significant jump.

· 07 Double Cab 4x4 OR
191 Posts
I bought my truck about a month ago and have gone through 2 tanks the first tank was 18.6 and the 2nd was 19.2 and the truck only has 870 miles on it. Keep in mind we don't have any heavy traffic in South Dakota so the truck doesn't spend a lot of time idling. If you sit in bumper to bumper traffic that will defineately hurt your mileage.

· Registered
05 Red crew cab
240 Posts
gas mileage

I don't understand it. People want better gas mileage but then say they are going to lift the truck and probably install bigger tires as well. I also don't understand one comment saying the lift shouldn't effect mileage. How do you explain that? :confused: Oh well good luck and if you figure out how to lift the truck which will increase wind drag and add bigger rims and tires increasing the weight and still have the same mileage, let me know. Let the whole world of autoracing know too.;)

· need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,988 Posts
does the lift itself really reduce the mpg noticeably (keeping stock tires and rims)? I was wondering this the other day. Sure it sits up higher, but is it enough to drop even 1mpg? I'm talking about just the lift, stock wheels and tires. I was also thinking about a 3 inch lift, I made my comment before the OP said it was to be a 6". Just curious is all...

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gahunter said:
I don't understand it. People want better gas mileage but then say they are going to lift the truck and probably install bigger tires as well. I also don't understand one comment saying the lift shouldn't effect mileage. How do you explain that? :confused: Oh well good luck and if you figure out how to lift the truck which will increase wind drag and add bigger rims and tires increasing the weight and still have the same mileage, let me know. Let the whole world of autoracing know too.;)
No I understand the lift and tires are going to kill my milege. the tires being larger and heavier obviously, but also the aerodymaics of the raised truck (I'm an aerospace engineer) will effect it also, i just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the base truck before I start working on it. I know the milege is going to go down, but I'd rather start from a normalized milege than one already lower than it should be.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

· "Clean" the best mod.
2,275 Posts
gahunter said:
If you read his post you would see he doesnt really care about his MPG he just wants to make sure theres nothing wrong with his truck.

· Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,026 Posts
Alot of the numbers you are seeing are for autos. Ignore them.

O2 sensor I beleive was for the 4runner with the 4.0. Havent heard of it w/ tacoma.

15-16 is normal for manual in city, but sounds low for highway and under 2500 rpms.

Few things: The obvious, conservative driving, check tire pressure at least monthly, air filter.

May want to look at your shifting points too. The truck can cruise along fine under 2000 rpms. Example, if your doing 35 mph in 3rd @2400 rpms, put her in 4th at 1800.

Your gasoline may be suspect too. Try another station, and maybe higher octane if your on 87. Personally, I run at least 89 octane, slightly better mpg's & truck runs better. I also run full syn oil, but changed over early so I wont claim that it improves mpg.

Commuting (No city, hilly county roads/highways) I get 19 in summer, down to 17.5 in winter (winter gas, weight in back, snow tires).

· Registered
117 Posts
lightningxb12 said:
A bed cover or topper would help.
Anybody see the Myth Busters Episode where the compare trucks with the tail gate up and down and their gas mileage? Do you think that putting on a bed cover would kinda be keeping the tailgate down?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.