Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys - be nice, I'm new here :)

I found a Toyota 5 speed gearbox that I wanted to graft to my MGB engine and I was told was a P51 or W50 type (Celica) - this type is listed in the Dellow ( http://www.dellowauto.com.au ) catalog as a Type 2 in their list of gearboxes for MGB, MkI & MkII conversions. However now that I have it in my hands I am concerned that it may not be as advertised.

It certainly doesn't look like a Supra box (no ribs - but it wasn't advertised as a Supra box) and the dimensions worry me. I have looked around the Internet but I can't find any way to identify the rather dirty gearbox I have in my shed.

On this one there are a few numbers and symbols (one that looks like a stylised word "Ten"). One number looks like W5524... is this a W55 box???

So, before I try to send this one back to the seller, can anyone identify this gearbox.

I would be extremely grateful for whatever assistance you can offer.

(I have LOTS of pictures if anyone thinks this might help them)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Still nothing definitive - it is so frustrating that it should be so hard :)

I just keep finding other people in he some trouble (so at least I don't feel alone).

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
P15 and W50 have steel cases.
In fact, they share the same part number for the case (but different internals), so you can't tell them apart externally.
A magnetic will stick to the central part of the casing.
The P51 was only behind the 18R-G twincam, so it is extremely rare outside of Japan.
The W50 was behind most R and M series engines about 1970-1981.

The W55 and higher (including the Supra box) are made from aluminium alloy.
A magnet will NOT stick to the central part of the casing.
These are common on vehicles after 1981.

All these have similar strength (up to about 250HP) but the steel case is slightly heavier than the alloy case.

I pretty sure Dellow has bellhousings for both the steel and alloy types.
Not sure if it is just extra bolt holes in the same bellhousing or if it is 2 diferent bell housings.

- Stepho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. My main issue was not knowing if I had been sold a W50 or something out of a non-Toyota vehicle.

I rang Dellow and they seemed to think I should be OK (I said I would mail the photos but the guy on the phone said he did not have e-mail <sigh>).

He just asked me to count the bolts - so I go back to them tomorrow to tell them it has EIGHT bolts.

I might be moving forward :)

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
The fancy TEN logo in a circle in your pic is the Japanese word for TO-YO-TA.
If a magnet sticks to it and it has 5 gears (plus reverse) then it is most likely to be a W50.
If you are real lucky then it is a rare P51 with Porsche style synchro.
Both have the same bolt connections.

It certainly looks like a W50 to me but I can't find the exact part number in my parts manuals.
It has the same tapered tail extension of a W50.
The W55 has a much blunter, bulkier tail extension where the gear stick comes out.

- Stepho

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, more info - and more confidence, thank you!

I was asked to count the bolts, so I did and came to EIGHT. Pity, none of the documents say EIGHT bolts. I think I counted some wrong bolts (bolts on a different plane).

Magnet sticks to "middle" section, but not the section where the actual gear stick is (sorry for technical terms :) )

Rare P51? I am never THAT lucky :)

Thanks again.

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
That's right, magentic sticks to steel middle bit but not to alloy extension.
Congrats, you have a steel case W50.

I'm not lucky enough to come across a P51 either :(

- Stepho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts