Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been having to deal with a weird idle since I have purchased this 2009 corolla in october. It's a base CE manual no AC. No power. At random, the idle will be too low making the engine bounce arround in it's bay creating alot of vibration in the car. At other times it will be too high and sit arroud 1200rpm. Sometimes when I set it in neutral on the highway when going down a hill the engine will stick at 2500-3000rpm for a few seconds before slowly starting to go down some. If I give it some gas then it will usualy go back down ok. Some times at stop signs it will take some gas making the engine speen bounce between 700-1500 a few times.

So far I have brought my car in three times for this issue. Every time I have been advised that Toyota Canada would be calling them back to troubleshoot issue. They have yet to fix it.

I have been dealing with this lady Carole Bossé xt 3307 from their customer interactions center but she has been mostly uncooperative in getting this issue resolved. She even stating that issue was normal. :headbang:

My understanding here is that if it is an existing condition of the vehicle I would have had to be advise of it as otherwise it would have been illegal practice on their part. They are equally legally obliged to repair the vehicle. It has not been done and they have done everything they could to dissuade me in getting it fixed.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to get my car fixed ? Either legal or in dealing with these people.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have this 'issue' as well, Corolla S - 5speed, and it only happens on cold days, so i just think of it as the engine adapting to the cold. The idle drops too low at a red light and it shakes in the car, usually happens within 5-10 minutes i've been on the road. I'm in traffic daily and it never does that after it warms up.

Alss, the RPMs will stay high for 2-3 seconds if i press the clutch suddenly when i'm avod 2500rpms, because the computer wants to try to match the RPMs on your shift, but it's the ECU doing that to 'save' the motor (i read on here there is another reason for this). My 1992 VW Jetta 5-speed did similar things, and my friend's 2006 VW GTI 6 speed does the same things.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
09 toyota corollas can be serviced in other dealerships. try your luck with another dealership. they might be more helpful than the previous.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have this 'issue' as well, Corolla S - 5speed, and it only happens on cold days, so i just think of it as the engine adapting to the cold. The idle drops too low at a red light and it shakes in the car, usually happens within 5-10 minutes i've been on the road. I'm in traffic daily and it never does that after it warms up.
It will happen on cold or warm days. It is pretty random. It will happen after the meter displays that the enigine is at optimal temperature. After 10 minutes of driving as much as after 4 hours of driving.

Alss, the RPMs will stay high for 2-3 seconds if i press the clutch suddenly when i'm avod 2500rpms, because the computer wants to try to match the RPMs on your shift, but it's the ECU doing that to 'save' the motor (i read on here there is another reason for this). My 1992 VW Jetta 5-speed did similar things, and my friend's 2006 VW GTI 6 speed does the same things.
My RPMs do not stay high for 2-3 seconds but will stay up for about 7 or so and will gradually go back down. It is also intermittant so your theory would not apply to this problem.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
2009 Corolla Xrs
383 Posts
At random, the idle will be too low making the engine bounce arround in it's bay creating alot of vibration in the car.
When any engine's rpms are fairly low, it will vibrate. This much is normal...

At other times it will be too high and sit arroud 1200rpm. Sometimes when I set it in neutral on the highway when going down a hill the engine will stick at 2500-3000rpm for a few seconds before slowly starting to go down some. If I give it some gas then it will usualy go back down ok.
This is very not normal, especially with a manual. As soon as you put it in neutral, the rpms should drop. My cousin had a similar issue with his rpms staying high on his T-100, never did get it fixed however.

As far as legality goes, I'm a little ignorant on how Canada operates. Luckily, we have several awesome members from the great nation :chug:

Dealing with Toyota, I say it should be dealt with soon if you bug the suits. Even if it's one person, they understand word of mouth spreads fast.

Good luck with all of this!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
when i first brought home my 09 corolla last May 2008 i noticed the lowest idle it had was at 600rpm. to this day it still stays at 600rpm on park or neutral. no slightest vibration yet ever.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have that RPM problem also from time to time especially on cold days, the RPM drops when I come to a stop. It drops to about 500 rpm and the engine shakes and as if about to die but it goes back to normal one or two seconds later

It is not that bad in my case, nothing I cannot tolerate

my other more annoying issue is the steering grinding sound at below about -10 degrees celcius, it grinds when I turn and the grinding goes away after 5-10 minutes of driving

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have that RPM problem also from time to time especially on cold days, the RPM drops when I come to a stop. It drops to about 500 rpm and the engine shakes and as if about to die but it goes back to normal one or two seconds later

It is not that bad in my case, nothing I cannot tolerate

my other more annoying issue is the steering grinding sound at below about -10 degrees celcius, it grinds when I turn and the grinding goes away after 5-10 minutes of driving
Have you checked the power steering fluid ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
hungt1999 - I get that grinding noise too, it hasn't happened in a while, it's been getting warmer in montreal, but when it was anything below -10, at full lock turn, i would hear it all the time, but it would go away as soon as the CVs warm up a little

·
Registered
519 Posts
Cadman, now it is too late to bring the grinding noise issue to the dealer because it is getting warmer and they will not be able to reproduce the noise but next winter, I intend to leave the car at the dealership overnite so they can reproduce the noise and hear for themselves

I did a bit of reading on the internet of people having the same grinding issues. I found that some Echo and Civic owners have reported similar problem. Apparently it is related to the type of fluid that is used in the differential. A simple fix consists of changing for a fluid that is better suitable at cold temperature. I have no idea how to change a differential fluid so I will let them do it under warranty hopefully. And also hopefully all the grinding has not caused any damage or premature wear to the powertrain of my car.

The fluid type explains why the grinding disappears after the car has warmed up.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
All electric motors make more noise the colder it gets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.