Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have front end knock going straight over bumps this may be your problem. It was for me. Just a little back ground for you guys. I purchased a late year model 2005 tacoma a couple months ago and it was perfect no prolems of any kind. Then about a couple hundred miles ago I developed a knock in my front suspension as I would go over bumps, potholes, speedbumps etc. Since I hate dealers with a passion taking it there was not an option. So I decided to attempt to soleve this problem myself. I am a pretty good mechanic (was a business jet mechanic for 5 years) so I have troubleshooted stranger problems than this. I jacked the truck up and then proceeded to check the torque of every single bolt on the left suspension. I started from the very bottom and worked my way up to the top. when I got to the top of the strut I noticed that the shock absorber nut had a gap between it and the big flat washer that compreses the upper shock absorber bushing against the top of the strut. At first I though that the nut was loose, but further inspection revealed that the nut was tightened all the way down. So what was producing this gap that allowed the shock to flop around in its hole with no tension on it causing the knock? The answer is the lower shock absorber bushing had somehow moved down and over the lip on the shock shaft that is susposed to keep it tensioned against the bottom of the top of the strut. So I disassembled the strut moved the bottom shock bushing back to where it is susposed to be and reassembled and that fixed my problem. If it does it again I am going to put a big washer on the shock shaft and then slide the bottom bushing on it so there is not chance of it happening again. I hope that this may be useful to some of you guys and I hope that I explained it well enough. :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think it was Thunked who had a loud banging noise in his front end when going over bumps (sounded a lot like your description) I hope he sees this. Maybe you can PM him. Excellent contribution.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Motogyro said:
If you have front end knock going straight over bumps this may be your problem. It was for ... :D
Hello, I am so excited to check and see if this is what's causing it.. I've been trying to find enough light and time to go buy a floor jack and get my wheel up off the ground.

What you are describing sounds like what I'm hearing.. and pretty much what I was thinking it might be.. something with the shock mount or some ball joint.

Here's the post I created trying to discover what the problem is:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t114873.html

I'll be sure and let you know if this fixes my problem too.. Thanks for posting this possible solution for anyone that might experience this problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fitz235 said:
I think it was Thunked who had a loud banging noise in his front end when going over bumps (sounded a lot like your description) I hope he sees this. Maybe you can PM him. Excellent contribution.
Thank you as well Fitz235... heads up play man! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Motogyro said:
I listened to your sound clip and that is EXACTLY the same noise mine was making.
Cool man.. I just went out to my truck in the dark to find the problem.. but I realized, it's dark, and I don't know what realy to look for!? :)

I looked at my shock and I see a couple of things that look like bushings.. One is right below that bolt on the top, then another between the spring and the upper shock mount?

Then on the bottom I see a bushing between the bolt that goes horizontally through the shock.

I didn't see any obvious spaces between these.. but it was dark and my truck was not lifted up. Do I need to lift the truck to discover the bushing problem? Let me know if there's anything you can guide this semi-novice to discovering if I might have the bushing issue..

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go out to your truck and grab the spring towards the bottom of the strut and pull back and forth on it HARD and if you feel any movement it is the bushing

·
Registered
111 Posts
Motogyro said:
Go out to your truck and grab the spring towards the bottom of the strut and pull back and forth on it HARD and if you feel any movement it is the bushing
I tried pulling the spring and it didnt move.. nor did the shock. Like I said this is mostly when I'm going over a left turn but any sort of uneven road with bumps in it where the trucks weight is shifting and this is happening alot.

I don't think I had the best angle, but the bushings are still there and I don't see any space between the bolt on the top and the bushing.

Do you have any other reccomendations on how I might be able to expose the seperation? Maybe by taking it apart and inspecting the shock and bushing?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts