Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i tried searching and couldnt really find anything close to what i am looking for.

ok once again 90 dx I4 3s-fe, instead of replacing the OEM coil with another, is there a way to wire in an external coil WITHOUT having to use an ignition system like MSD etc...? i know that the cap will have to be modified more than likely, and my coil isnt bad yet, but is the original and i want to replace it soon. thanks again.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Camry
16 Posts
DoomCrewInc said:
ok i tried searching and couldnt really find anything close to what i am looking for.

ok once again 90 dx I4 3s-fe, instead of replacing the OEM coil with another, is there a way to wire in an external coil WITHOUT having to use an ignition system like MSD etc...? i know that the cap will have to be modified more than likely, and my coil isnt bad yet, but is the original and i want to replace it soon. thanks again.
Yea i but a Blaster SS Coil on my 1996 5S-FE :)

Very Easy Install, Just disconnected the old coil, rused the connector for it, wired up new wires, and made a new mounting bracket for the ignition controll module and the coil itself.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
About 7 years ago I replaced the ignition coil on my niece's 91 3SFE engine with an aftermarket Borg Warner coil for about $40. It was an exact replacement. Let's assume that it's $45-$50 today. For that kind of money, I don't think it's worth it to try to make something work that may or may not cause problems. IMHO.

Incidently, I got the Borg Warner unit at Pep Boys.

Mike

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pep boys wants 75 bucks here for the Borg Warner replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts