Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DAMMIT!!!!! what a damn of series of unfortunate events.....as soon as I get the clutch fixed, the next thing that just went out was my ignition switch......none of my keys work for it....any ideas on how to make it work without having to get a new one?
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the key doesn't turn in the ignition cylinder
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, the key goes in all the way, I even got a spare made, and it still doesn't work.....
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other suggestions on what might be wrong?
 

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
Joined
·
774 Posts
your gonna have to replace it... they are these tabs that go up when then key in inserted... each one is different to adapt to the key's shape... one must have maybe got pushed up to high and got stuck... you could remove the panels around the cylinder and hit the side w/ a hammer... not beat the shit outta it... but hit it... see if that frees anything up but do it w/ the key in it...
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, sounds good, I'll keep you posted on how it went.....wish me luck man....I'm getting a lil to pissed at this car lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,005 Posts
i try not to have many keys on my key ring...the added weight over time..does damage to the lock cylinder...
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh damn....I didn't know that......hmmm.....I don't have many keys though.......but I'm gonna give the hammer trick a try, hopefully that works......another thing, how do you take off the wheel lock? Like I know you have to twist it a little, but what I mean is that, how do you PERMANETLY take it off? What will I need to remove?
 

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
Joined
·
774 Posts
DjJester88 said:
Oh damn....I didn't know that......hmmm.....I don't have many keys though.......but I'm gonna give the hammer trick a try, hopefully that works......another thing, how do you take off the wheel lock? Like I know you have to twist it a little, but what I mean is that, how do you PERMANETLY take it off? What will I need to remove?
you kno in theory that is a very good question...

i dunno...

i've removed my steering wheel and never came across any components controlling that...

so my best educated answer is there is a solenoid attached to a clamp around the steering column somewhere... and when the key is off or out its energized and locks to the column... and whe the wheel is turned too far in one direction the clamp splines and locks... and when the key is on the solenoid releases the clamp...

thats a good question tho... i've never heard anyone ask about that or seen a car come in w/ a problem for that.
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn thats gonna be a problem lol, on a count of you're basically the only one who helped me with my Mr2 a lot lol, but yeah, next thing, I just now got my ignition cylinder, along with a set of keys, how do I install it? I already removed the console, and like a covering below the steering wheel. Since the wheel lock is on, will it give me any problems installing it?
 

·
Young At Heart
1993 Mr2
Joined
·
463 Posts
Hmm

Thats odd, seems as if though Knight Fall, Myself and Hyde are always giving all the answers. My answers are usually the stuff repeated so u guys don't have to. But I don't mind. I tell what I know, and thats all.... I have helped u alot too Jester if I remember right. But Knight Fall is very much mechanically inclined, and is typically correct on his answers. So he is a good bet to go with.
 

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
Joined
·
774 Posts
DjJester88 said:
Damn thats gonna be a problem lol, on a count of you're basically the only one who helped me with my Mr2 a lot lol, but yeah, next thing, I just now got my ignition cylinder, along with a set of keys, how do I install it? I already removed the console, and like a covering below the steering wheel. Since the wheel lock is on, will it give me any problems installing it?
imma say no...

but i'll look it up for you and see if any of my manuals has anything to say about it...
 

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
Joined
·
774 Posts
i can't find anything specific enough about it...

you should be able to just remove the cylinder and the wires behind it...

before you install the cylinder connect the wires first then insert the key and see if the wheel unlocks...

if it does then see if the car starts... then its cool to install the cylinder...
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zz_005_zZ said:
Thats odd, seems as if though Knight Fall, Myself and Hyde are always giving all the answers. My answers are usually the stuff repeated so u guys don't have to. But I don't mind. I tell what I know, and thats all.... I have helped u alot too Jester if I remember right. But Knight Fall is very much mechanically inclined, and is typically correct on his answers. So he is a good bet to go with.
lol my bad bro, didn't mean it in that sense......
But heres the thing, some mechanic tried to drill out the cylinder.....the drill broke inside the cylinder....and which wires will it be for me to remove? I have no idea how to pull out the cylinder.....I need my Mr2 back.....I feel naked without it lol
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since im still having trouble removing the cylinder, how about some help removing the gauge cluster as well.....I unscrewed everything, but how far can I pull the cluster out? I only get to pull it a inch or two before it gets stuck. Do I just need to keep pulling harder or will that break the cluster? I also disconnected the negative battery, you, incase I somehow trigger the air bag.....lol
 

·
Audi Technician
91 MR2
Joined
·
774 Posts
DjJester88 said:
Since im still having trouble removing the cylinder, how about some help removing the gauge cluster as well.....I unscrewed everything, but how far can I pull the cluster out? I only get to pull it a inch or two before it gets stuck. Do I just need to keep pulling harder or will that break the cluster? I also disconnected the negative battery, you, incase I somehow trigger the air bag.....lol
the speedo cable holds the cluster in... you have to pull it out as far as you can and squeeze your hand around the back on the right side... there are three small plastic clips that hold the speedo cable in... be careful not to break them or you won't be able to lock the speedo back in place...

as for the cylinder... man i've never removed one in an mr2...

and i don't get why someone would waste time trying to drill out the cylinder if your gonna replace it anyways... to drill it out would be for a quick fix to get the car home or to a shop. and you need titanium bit.... not titanium coated.

you kno i can't offer much help w/o pictures... just short of taking my car apart to verify what i kno... some cars are real easy, some are real hard... i kno what it looks like in an mr2 just never paid too much attention to its removal... and the book doesn't have much information. if you could get some pictures i could relate it to maybe another one i've that has similar procedures
 

·
Owns first Mr2!!!!!
MKII Mr2
Joined
·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:whatwhat: YYEEESSS!!!!!!!!! the job is done!!!!! now I have my Mr2 back!!!! Thanx 4 all the help guys!!!! yall really know your cars!!!!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top