Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 4X4 HiLux, 3VZ. Calls for jumping terminals and then shooting timing, 10 BTDC.
I had some issues after replacing timing belt so trying to sort things out. Noticed that the timing does not change if I do or don’t jump terminals in diagnostic port.
Is your timing the change if you disconnect the jumper?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! You are the 2nd person to point to the TPS. And now that I think about it, this all started when the idle dropped for unknown reasons.
I’ll check the TPS setting and report back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The resistance values with the original TPS were all over the place. Adjusting to idle position gave me readings that were not within specs on other positions so ordered a replacement. I just installed the replacement and got similar readings that I got with original TPS.
Finally compromised with an position that gave me 600 ohms at idle, open with .030 feeler gauge and <1k with .020 gauge and this time the timing mark retarded a couple degrees when I pulled the jumper.
Drive the truck around for a bit and it feels like the lost power has been restored.
Thanks turbojim! Everyone here locally kept insisting that I installed the timing belt off by a tooth but I was positive that I had installed the belt correctly.
Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts