Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not real sure i want to lift it yet, but i have a '96 Tacoma (2.7L). because im only 17, i was looking for something that wasn't too expensive. i was kinda interested in the revteck 3" lift, but heard from some friends that just doing spacers in the front was a bad idea. anybody have any feedback on this lift or any suggestions for 2 1/2" to 3" lift systems in the $500 range?? thanks

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well $500 isn't necessarily my budget, but im only 17, so i would like to spend as little as possible, but i do want a quality setup, so if it makes that much of a difference, i will spend more.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Top of the line: Donahoe ~$1000

Rest of the pack: RaceRunner Sway-A-Way, King, Camburg (about $650-$800)

There may be others, but those are the ones that most of us run up front.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if i go 3" is it necessary that i drop the dif. down too? and if i stay with a 2" would i avoid that problem? i think i'd rather go 3" anyways, and lower the dif. i just wasn't sure how much of a hassel it is to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm no 'pro' on this subject as i'm a relative newbie myself. But from the research i've done adn then info i've acquired from very inelligent people on the topic, you can do a 3" lift WITHOUT doing the DD. Any more and u should highly think about it.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice, 3" is really my ideal height. im kinda liking the Race Runner Sway-A-Way kit. or maybe the fabtech 3.5" front with the sway-a-way rear AAL's

·
trd04taco
2004 Tacoma 4WD TRD
476 Posts
Yes, you can do a 3" lift w/o the diff drop. The diff drop doesn't make that much of a difference. I will be doing it however since it is a very easy install and I'd rather help my CV's as much as possible. Short of spending over $1500 on a decent coilover/rear leaf pack setup, I'd go with a 3" kit from Toytec. They offer a kit with new 3" (or 2.5") Old Man Emu coils up front matched with Alcan rear add-a-leafs. That's what I'm going with and I think it's the best kit in the 500$ range (including longer rear shocks). I'll be spending a bit extra for Bilstein 5125/5100 shocks all around to further improve the ride. I wouldn't go with blocks in the rear because they increase stress on the springs and add to axle wrap. Longer shackles are good, but you have to cut the tailpipe and they don't help reduce axle wrap like an AAL does. New rear leaf packs are the best, but they are $$$
In the front, coilovers are the best, but cost over $700 for just the front setup. Longer springs are 2nd best and spacers are the third best IMO. Spacers will make the ride stiffer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts