Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. I went to change my oil today.. I usually come in from the front of the truck to loosen the oil pan plug, but today I went from the side because I was in my garage and had very little room up front.

To make a long story short, I removed the transmission plug and lost about a pint to a quart of tranny fluid before I realized I screwed up.

Do you guys think it will be okay to make short trips in the truck until I can get it topped off on Monday? Should I try to do it myself? If so, what fluid do I need to get?

help is appreciated...

·
Registered
6 Posts
With it only being as little as you say, I think it would be ok to at least make a short trip or two as long as no warning indicators appear. Not being summer and all and taking it easy with her I'd be surprised if there were any ill effects. Just don't prolong getting it taken care of.

·
Banned
05 Taco PreRunner
784 Posts
egod8 said:
Okay.. I went to change my oil today.. I usually come in from the front of the truck to loosen the oil pan plug, but today I went from the side because I was in my garage and had very little room up front.

To make a long story short, I removed the transmission plug and lost about a pint to a quart of tranny fluid before I realized I screwed up.

Do you guys think it will be okay to make short trips in the truck until I can get it topped off on Monday? Should I try to do it myself? If so, what fluid do I need to get?

help is appreciated...

Shit man it happens. ;) Now go and get some Red Line, Amsoil, or Royal Purple synthetic and put it in there. Might as well start now!

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
turbos17 said:
Shit man it happens. ;) Now go and get some Red Line, Amsoil, or Royal Purple synthetic and put it in there. Might as well start now!
No he needs to use the type WS fluid. No one else makes it, yet. You're going to have to go down to the dealer and either get some from them or have them flush it and fill you with some new stuff. How many miles do you have on your truck? A flush may be worth it.

Personally I wouldn't drive the truck until you make the trip down to the dealership. I don't how far that is away but if you have AAA you may want to have it towed down there just to be safe. You don't want to be [email protected]$kin' up your new transmission.

·
Registered
'02 Roush Mustang
246 Posts
LOL I almost did the same thing last night. I was looking around for the pan/plug, ended up taking the skid plate off..... I'm used to Chevy/Ford V8's and this just looked a lot different. Doh!

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
Your truck will be FINE. The trans + converter holds 13 quarts of fluid, losing 1 or 2 isn't going to cause a disaster. You can pick up some WS fluid from the stealer and do it yourself, or have them do it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts