Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
today i changed my parking brake shoes (92 v6, dual brakes in the rear) and when i went to put the rotors back on, they wouldn't fit, the adjustements for the parking brake are as loose as they go

i even got the drum part of the rotors turned, shaved off about 1/16th of an inch and they barely went on, and now it smells like burning brakes when i'm driving, i know i'm fucking up my brand new shoes, everything looked right but it just won't fit right

and now there's some pretty heavy vibrations and clunking in the rear, does anyone have an idea? do i need new rotors?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, getting them turned cleaned up the inside of the drum nicely, they're really old and pretty fucked up, i'd say they're like 6-7 years old

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the hub wouldn't have anything to do with fitting the rotor on there, its definetly the shoes striking the rotors

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
you know more about the Camry than I do, Oldman, but I'll just throw in a possiblilty.....perhaps the spring for retracting the shoes has been stretched? I got bad vibrations and such b/c the spring was fucked in one of my drums. :dunno:

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be, it is reccomended to change the return springs, and i didn't, there was still a fair bit of pressure on them, but they weren't a total bitch to put on, could be a possibility

i'm gonna have another look in the morning

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok, so everything still looks ok, the shoes are a bit burned but there's still plenty of material

the rotor turns pretty freely in reverse, but it jams in fwd (turning it by hand)

come on, someone has to have an idea, 88LE? other mechanics?

HELP!!! if i don't have this fixed by tonight i'll have to take them out so i can drive to work tomorrow

edit: i think my cable might be stuck in the parking brake set position, i can't see the shoes moving when i apply the brake

also the adjustement in the console is all the way down and its still slack

once again, help!!! anyone had something similar happen? :help:

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i know that the rear shoes are on the correct side (the pin for the linkage pointing on the inside), but the 2 front ones are identical, as far as i can see

they were shipped in a box all 4 together with no markings on them

·
Grenaded piston
6,593 Posts
Oldman said:
edit: i think my cable might be stuck in the parking brake set position, i can't see the shoes moving when i apply the brake
If that is the case, have you tried messing with the cable?

Maybe unhook it from the lever on the back of the drums.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
You did turn the Adjuster (Toyota's official term) all the way down right? Its supposed to be set at minimum until you get everything back on. It looks like a knurled knob set on the middle of a threaded stud. It hooks up to both shoes. After installation, adjust until it locks, then turn back 8 notches. You should see this knob through the access hole covered with rubber plug.

* edited for accuracy, sorry.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, i tried yanking on the cable, nothing much happened,

and yes, the adjuster is at the minimum setting...

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
little more of a long shot parts stores do this ALOT did they give you the right brakes?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yes, they're from the dealership(cuz they were the only ones that had any idea what i was talking about), they're identical to the ones i took off

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Next part sounds funky, but it's out of the the Toyota Manual.

It's on Page BR-53

Settling Parking Brake Shoes and Disc.

(a) (lever type) With the parking brake release button pushed in, pull on th elever with 98N (10 kgf, 33lbf) of force.
(b) (pedal type) Depress the parking brake pedal with 147 N (15 kgf, 33 lbf)
(c) Drive the vehicle at about 50 km/h (31mph) on a safe, level and dry road.
(d) Drive the vehicle about 400 meters (0.25mile) in this condition.
(e) Repeat this procedure two or three times.
Recheck and Adjust Parking Brake Lever Travel.

Straight out of the book - I kid you not, sounds totally alien to me.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, to break in/seat the brake

the cables are seized, gotta replace them,

and now i have a broken front passenger spring, haven't had time to see how much is broken off, but its not more than 1 coil, so fuck it, hopefully i can slide that one by on the safety

1 - 17 of 17 Posts