Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know many of you folks around here hate domestics, and wish Toyota would take over the world.

that's cool, fine, whatever. i understand that...toyota's a badass company.

however, allow me to be excited for the next...ohhhhh....27 or so hours...because i'll be getting my cavalier - FINALLY - after waiting a few months on it. for those who don't know(despite my constant babbling about it) it's a 1991 Z24 coupe(tincan..lol) with a 3.1L 5spd motor in her. for now, she's staying stock...i might just drive the car till the motor dies once, then get a 3.4L like what they've been stuffing in Buicks. it'll fit rather nicely...in fact, i think it's almost a drop-in.

my buddy Mike's handing over the title tonight, and he's delivering my car to me tomorrow.

fast lil bastid's on its way to performance excellence...MWAHAHAH.

·
Official TN Rice Hater
97 camry le
378 Posts
:thumbup: my friends got one but he has the automatic version. i think its the nicest one in jacksonville. i will post a pic of it soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi. Um... just one peice of advice, chevy cars have lots of problems i think... I had a 99' cavalier before, and its so painful to spend money on the transmission, brakes soo often. That's why i sold it and got myself a 05' echo hatch:) . So.. go easy on the car?;)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willi - there's a difference between your 99 and my 91.

besides...i know what i'm doing with this car. i've been doing extensive research for over a year and a half JUST on this car.

the motor in that car was meant to be abused. you had what, the 2.2, 2.4, or 2.0? i can't recall...whichever you had, it was crappy compared to the 3.1

besides...i work for Chevrolet. parts are cheaper for me...and labor's free, since i do it myself.

thanks for your concern, hun, but i'm good to go.

97kamuri - def find me a pic :) shame he got a crapomatic, though...those are slow compared to the 5speeds.

·
Official TN Rice Hater
97 camry le
378 Posts
falnfenix said:

97kamuri - def find me a pic :) shame he got a crapomatic, though...those are slow compared to the 5speeds.
actually his is pretty fast for an automatic. he's also got the z24 with an intake an exhaust. i know those dont add much but still his is fast.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know.

now imagine that car with a manual tranny....MWAHAHAH!

seriously, though, the second gen z24s haul ass.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
My dad used to have a '91 Pontiac Sunbird SE V6 coupe, purchased with 384,000km... it was finally retired (with its next owner) at just past 425,000km, but still going strong. The autotragics *are* slow, but I'm sure the 5-speed is a big improvement.

The 3.1L motors do have their issues (as do any motor), but they're common, and you can catch them soon enough. Oil leaks are really common... I remember the Sunbird leaking 3L a *week*, according to the previous (and first) owner.

We ended up selling the car to neighbours... and dad got an '89 Corolla GT-S coupe (AE92) to replace it :D :D

Enjoy :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

the car's on its second motor, and this one only has 90k miles on her...no oil leaks, runs strong. the water pump - which i think is the BIGGEST issue with all cavs - has been replaced once already.

i'm actually looking forward to working on this car...because i know repairs will be relatively easy so to speak.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Sweet! When are you going to send me the grille? So I can make you a fiberglass JDM one :lol:

That's sweet! I can't wait to see it when I come out there this Spring :)

What people seem to not know is that car will last forever. Those things can be beat to shit and still run. There is a reason there is still a rash of cavs still around. And unlike the current poop coupe, the older ones held up. These new ones fall apart like nothing.

Gotta Love Domestics :loove:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL..the idea of "jdm" on a cavalier still amuses me.

right now i'm not so worried about cosmetic...but you know that. i think the only thing i'm going to do with the body is respray the hood, since Mike(prev. owner) fscked up the hood.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
I used to own an 87 Z24 Cavalier 2.8L V6 5 spd:thumbup: I loved that car to death. It handled great around turns and really moved. I miss it still to this day, it was totaled by a Lincoln Town Car:(

Enough of my rambling, good luck with your Z and keep me updated when you do mods to it:thumbup: What are you doing with your Rolla though?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
The Rolla will ALWAYS be around. No chance in hell that is going anywhere:D

Plus she needs something to Auto-X when I come out there ;)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rapeacivic - the corolla is staying essentially stock from now on. since the 2ZZ-GE's unwanted removal from my possession, i've lost the drive i once had for that car. instead of getting rid of her(which i originally wanted to do...i was that upset) and getting another newer car with a lot of potential(and a better powerband) i opted to keep the poor thing and get a beater that i can work on. the cavalier is NOT going to be made to look good till she's running again...and even then, the car wasn't bought for looks. i just happen to like the way they look to begin with...i find them low-slung, to a degree, and mean.

the 87s were cool...but i preferred the second gen stage 2 Z24s...i don't know, i guess it's the 3.1L motor that sold me on it. the car also has 5-spoke stock wheels instead of those nasty checkerboards...which would have to have been replaced if i'd gotten them. those things are naaaaaaaasty.

and i'm not autoxing the corolla in her current state. might do the cav, though...once i replace the axles...

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Actually my Z24 didn't have checker board rims, although I have seen some Chevy's with those type of rims and they're ugly as fuck:bleh:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...that's right...yours was right before the checkerboards. i think those started in 88. the ex's vert had them till he got the new stock chromey 5spokes...and they made me sad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts