Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm new here.. first post. I'm seeing a 1999 corolla today, anything i should look out for? I do have an obd2 reader. this car has about 120,000 miles. first owner.

I've been reading that 99 is better than newer generations as toyota got cheap and made the pistons smaller and rings bigger thus the oil burn issue.

Can someone list stuff to check and questions to ask about this car? He said he has replaced the timing belt at 65,000 miles. He has a haynes book, but I wonder what he needed that for if the car didn't have any problem.

Question: does the 99 have a timing belt or chain?

Thanks,
Gordon

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do i know how many speed this car have? does a 4 speed corolla 99 have an Overdrive button? I'm talking about an automatic transmission corolla.

Thanks,
Gordon

just don't get a 3 speed, they're horrible and you will regret it like I have. They have chains will last forever

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 4 speed has a button on the left side of the gear shifter that locks out overdrive if you need extra power to go up a steep hill . the 3 speed has no such button and it's horrible, specially if you do any kind of highway driving. Your mileage will suffer and the car will be noisier, not a good choice. The only plus is that it's durable cause it is very simple. No electronics.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear (so experts please chime in), that the OT button even though is engaged, technically, the car will not go into OT unless it's going at a certain speed, so in a way, we can leave the OT button on at all times. Is this true?

Thanks,
Gordon

The 4 speed has a button on the left side of the gear shifter that locks out overdrive if you need extra power to go up a steep hill . the 3 speed has no such button and it's horrible, specially if you do any kind of highway driving. Your mileage will suffer and the car will be noisier, not a good choice. The only plus is that it's durable cause it is very simple. No electronics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
True, but as I said because it is a small engine and at certain times you may need a little more power to go up a hill or even down a hill and don't want to ride the brakes too much, by pushing the button you simply let the transmission stay in 3rd gear. Other wise just leave it engaged all the time. Avoid the 3 speed transmission,it costs less, but in the long run you will regret it ALso if it snows where you live, keeping the overdrive off during a snow or icy conditions will help you control the car better.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
The car has no timing belt. It has a timing chain. There is no need to replace the chain as it is supposed to last the lifetime of the car. I hope the guy knows what he's talking about and doing. The 98-99 1ZZFE motors in the Corolla are better than the 00-02 for the very reason you just brought up. The 00-02 1ZZFE's Toyota went cheap on and used smaller bore pistons and tried to compensate them with destined to fail oversized rings.

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
695 Posts
He might be talking about the serpentine belt instead of the timing chain.

And yes, don't get a 3 speed for the above mentioned reasons. With a 4 speed OD you can get about 5 extra MPG on the hwy if you drive good.

Being it's a 99 the struts might be worn but that isn't a big deal for most people.

Gil

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, I bought the car for $3200, CE, has cruise control, AC, CD/mp3, 111,000 miles. runs quiet in the city, but i never drove it on the freeway until I took it home tonight. obd2 checked out okay, but the engine is kinda loud..makes some knocking noise at 55 mph. sounds like a washing machine doing it's drying cycle.. is this normal? I wish i tried out a few more corollas. I hear that I can get my engine replaced w/ those from japan .. if so, does anyone know where I can get one and have it installed..and how much would it cost? I'm just thinking of the worst. I'll replace the engine oil and transmission fluid as well and see if it's better.

i dunno, the guy said he paid someone to change the timing belt. not sure if he got ripped off. the dealer pulled the vin and said it has a timing chain. yes, and this car has OD.

heck, any car is better than a VW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe its very important to fully try out a car b4 buying it. Yes even on the highway, some cars do really well in the city, but when you hit highway speeds all sorts of problems can be found. I would have a mechanic check it out

·
Registered
105 Posts
$3200 for a 99, wow i hope i can get that much for mine! i only have 80K

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
don't forget ninjas... oo and pirates

·
NoLa Rolla
695 Posts
don't forget ninjas... oo and pirates
There hasn't been a report of a ninja being hit by a car in over 100 years. Ninjas are too quick. But that could explain how you're driving down a road and hear a noise but you don't know what you hit and can't see anything that could have made the noise. hmmmmm

Pirates on the other hand are easy. Especially if they have their patched eye on the near side. Plus they cross the road sooooo darn slow with their peg legs. And they always make the same sound when you hit them. "ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!"

Gil

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here's what i found so far about my car:

Dead battery, battery holder is missing, 1 totally bad wire (need to replace them all since they are about 20kohm), spark plugs are rusty and oily. not sure what else...

·
Registered
397 Posts
not sure it'll apply to you but when I got mine:
-one power window motor was dead - just run the windows up and down and see if they hesitate or slow down
-my A/C was leaking when I got it, and it doesn't even engage anymore
-the clock works intermittently

·
NoLa Rolla
695 Posts
-the clock works intermittently
My girlfriends clock goes dim at times. Mostly when she uses the turn signal it'll flash with it. I never felt like checking into it.

Gil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts