Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my name is pat and im usually on s10forum, sportrucks. i am here right now to get anybodys help, i am getting an 86' MR2 for $75 it ran 2 yrs ago when it was parked and never been used or started since, my question is, what is the first thing i should do to get it started? and what kind of mod can i do to the car and pix to get me motivated would really help...thank you very much for all the future help...thanks, pat...

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Well... you've got a coulpe of options. The first is and probably least complicated.... is to see if the motor will start as it is. If all goes well.... keep it.

Second... you could swap out that motor for a new(er) 4age (<-- Thats the motor that is in there)... or a 20v 4age.

Thrid... you could swap in the more powerful 4agZe... which is the supercharged and intercooled version of that engine.

Fourth... you could turn it into a MK1.5.... and swap in a 1991+ MR2 3sgte into it. This motor will not bolt directly in.... but every person that has one swears by it.

For $75... you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i think for $75 the first thing im going to try to do is try to get the old engine started and running, i imagine if it ran 2 yrs. ago when parked it wouldnt have anything major wrong with it. then ill go from there...thanks for the ideas...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
first thing i would do.... clean the windows, replace the battery with one that's charged..... get in, and crank it over

the 87 i bought for $100 had a HORRIBLE rod knock.... sat for 4 years.... did just what i said above (and added some fresh oil... but didn't change it, lol) and after about 30 seconds of cranking she (unwanting to) fired right up.... however, the rod knock was it's demise 10 miles later

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did the car have a knock before it was parked? the previous owner said it ran fine after it was parked(and he is a good source) anything i should look out for? thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
no, they said it didn't run when i bought it..... which is why my friends brought the jeep initially (and we picked it up at midnight...), they said they didn't know what was wrong with it and they had already once replaced the headgasket roughly a year before it was parked.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before you do anything too serious...

What kind of performance are you looking for?,

What type of performance (straight line accell, 60-0 breaking, roadholding, drifting, etc) are you planning on emphasising?

How much money are you going to put into this car?

How many miles are on the engine/tranny?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, after i get it running i want enough performance to keep up with the hondas:lol: around here if not more...i dont know how much HP this thing have, ive never had a car before i always had trucks(lowered trucks that is) this will be my first car and i will play with it as much as i can afford it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
well if you want serious horsepower, youre going to have to get a brand new drivetrain IMO.

Also, id go for the 4A-GZE motor, its very well built, and very strong, the block can take a lot of pressure, and the supercharger with the right pulleys can pull almost 17psi of boost. The supercharger is clutched too, which completely eliminates lag, which to me is what makes a great track car.

Supercharging the normal 4A-GE motor to me isnt a good idea, the "z" is specially designed to take the added pressure of forced induction (Which is what you will need if you want to compete with guys who have much larger, much more modern V-TEC motors.

If youre looking for pure straight line speed, I aggree with the people who have allready posted, see if you can drop in a MKII tubo motor, they have alot of power, but I personally wouldnt do it, as that it will harm the weight distribution, which is what makes MR2s so wonderful. But pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the MKII turbos make more power than the 4A-GZEs

I personally have no idea how much such an engine swap would cost, or how long it woudl take...

If I was you, id put the money into things like harnesses, roll bars, coilovers, and brake rotors/pads. But those arent the things you do for pure speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i got the car here last week and i installed fresh battery and added some oil(didnt change it yet i wanted to make sure she ran before changing the oil) and it started right up and ran it for about fifteen minutes to get all the bad gas and carbon out and believe me it did... so whats next??? just pulled the seats out and vaccum the heck out of it and im going to wipe and clean the interior and drive it to the self carwash and give her a good bath...hopefully she can be my daily driver...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts