Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend has an 86 toy corolla with a bad motor, ive done a few motor swaps in hondas so her parents want me to put a motor in hers. were going to a junk yard to pull the new motor but if they dont have the same corolla as her i need to know what else will fit. sorry for the large post but its the first toy swap ive done and i know nothing about what swaps will fit. thanks, and any help will be appreciated.:confused: :hammer: :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really dont know, havent had a chance to look yet and she dosent know. all i know is that it is a 4 door hatch

·
Immortal
332 Posts
speedfreak7 said:
i really dont know, havent had a chance to look yet and she dosent know. all i know is that it is a 4 door hatch
Probably a 4AC motor. I have one for sale... but I'm probably REALLY FAR away...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
'k... 4 door hatch.

You've got a 4A-C in there.

Look for another engine from an A series family. To minimize hassle, I would stay away from anything with EFI, unless you feel like doing all the wiring. I would suggest just getting another 4A-C. However, you could probably get away with getting a 4A-F (no EFI!) from an 88-89 Corolla sedan or SR-5 coupe.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
the 4A-C and 4A-F are both carbed 1.6L engines.
4A-C (what you've got) is a really anemic SOHC setup
4A-F quasi DOHC (One cam is driven off of a scissor gear from the other) setup.

The SR-5 is just the lower trim level for the 88-91 Coupe. From 88-89 they had carbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is the 4a-f a direct swap or do i need dirrerent motor mounts and wiring? what is the horse power, is it even worth the swap or should i stay with the 4a-c?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Well, since it's not your car, I'd try and find a 4A-C. Physically, the 4A-C will fit, but you might need to swap the engine mount from the 4A-C to get it to bolt up correctly. The other three mounts should be on your transmission.

here's some rough numbers
Engine Valve/year.Displ BHP/Torque ,CR
4A-C SOHC 2/83-86 1587cc [email protected]/[email protected] 9:1
4A-F DOHC 4/87-88 1587cc [email protected]/[email protected] 9.5:1

is the extra hp worth it to her? probably not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts