Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 toyota 4x4 3.0 with Downy air intake, headers, cat. converter, and free flow exhaust. All components are certified with CARB. It's a manual transmission and according the the vehicle report the timing is 10 degrees BTDC.

My results were:

15mph:

1725 RPM
%CO2: 13.6
%O2: 0.9
HC measured 149 (127 max)
CO measured 0.54 (0.78 max)
NO measured 1943 (1031 max)

25mph:

2713 RPM
%CO2: 14.1
%O2: 0.4
HC measured 36 (108 max)
CO measured 0.07 (0.99 max)
NO measured 368 (891 max)

My speedometer broke a few days ago and it caused my truck to throw a 42 code: vehicle speed sensor. I took the cable off the transfer case and found it broke. Could the speed sensor cause emissions problems?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
It's possible, but more likely an oxygen sensor. If the speed sensor is sending the wrong signals to the computer, it might be over/under compensating for something. Judging by your results though you're pretty low at 25 mph. Might wanna replace the speedo cable anyway.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
I'm going to say it could be an issue with dirty injectors with a bad spray pattern creating a partial lean mixture/misfire on several cylinders. It would not be uncommon for something like this to clear up as engine speed increases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking faulty EGR valve but I think the NOx would of been high on the 25mph test also. So I agree, it must be lean at part throttle to cause high combustion temperatures. I'll ohm out my O2 sensors just to be sure they are ok.

I guess I should just run some injector cleaner and Chevron Supreme gas throught it and then retest. I'll fix the speedo first though, to get rid of the 'check engine' light. I was thinking of retarding the timing a couple degrees too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts