Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this set 2 weeks ago

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916852000&tab=des#tab

The impact wrench doesn't have enough torque to remove lugnuts most of the time. So i was force to roate tires by hand which slows me down. So i'm looking to return that set and pick up something stronger and better. That will work. i noticed this only had 230ft of torque and most other guns have 400. Anyone suggest a good gun for me to pickup.

I don't need any seriously power. I mainly just us it to remove lug nuts and the 3/8 ractchet wrench for smaller things. the Rachet wrenech is doing everything its suppose to be doing. So withing about a $200-250 budget for both, what would you guys recommend.

i was thinking maybe something in the lines of this

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00919987000&tab=spe#tab

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...L&pid=00918899000&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...L&pid=00923760000&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools

I dont know much on air tools. I got the hose that i needed and the adapters how i just need a strong enough gun.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Get the strongest one you can afford. Better to have more power then not enough when you need it. BTW you should only troque wheel nuts to 73ft-lb. Tightening wheel nuts with impact gun is a big no no.
I have this one: Impact Gun
Light weight and powerful.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
The last one in your sears list is the best so far, but try to get a standard ingersol rand and not the twin hammer. Notice the way the direction selector is made on that gun. How it goes side to side. Do not let anyone sell you an impact that has any other type of selector.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
i agree with getting the biggest, badest impact gun you can. just remember to do your final torque by hand with a standard torque wrench. air impact guns are fairly inaccurate.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
If you can't get lugs off and they were installed by hand, perhaps you should look at the compressor driving it. A little 3 gallon isn't going to cut the mustard no matter the wrench.

Unless the nuts were put on by quite the impact wrench, 230 ft/lbs should easily take them off.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I dont know who applied them on. But I had 3 cars come in this week where i had to lower it to the ground and pull out the breaker bar.

Its all shop air, hose and everything. I borrowed other people's guns and it worked like a charm. For VW its 98 ft lbs. The more older techs use a 80ft lb torque stick and do the rest by torque wrench. But the other guys like lube techs just crank on them.

I know torque is always good to have. But as of right now my main usage for the 1/2 in is just the lug nuts. I use the Impact rachet a lot more. I'm trying to stay within the $250 budget for everything. I'm going out to sears today to see how the wrenches feel.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back the sears i went to didn't have too much of a selection. So blah. ratherpointless.

But right now i have my eyes set on this.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...L&pid=00919681000&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools

Would that be my best bang for the buck?

Like i said before, This is running off of shop air. I don't own a compressor myself or anything like that. I'm sure whatever compressor we have at work will be more then enough pressure for tthese air tools =P

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Have you tried exchanging it? Might have a hammer mechanism or allow air to bypass. Uncommon, but not unheard of to get a dud...Like I said, if you're getting the air, 230 should remove almost anything...I've only ever needed more than that (granted I use a 250ft lb electric) for the most rusted bolts, such as suspension and alignment on 20 year old winter driven cars...

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
I have a craftsman one. I'm too lazy to see what model it is, but that's just what I have and it's been great for me.
edit: Wait, if you weren't able to take the lugs off with 232 lb ft, what the hell were they put on with? Should only be around 70ish lb ft and 230 lb ft should be able to remove that with ease.
Tell me, does your impact gun have an adjuster on it for more or less torque? If you don't know, check and see if it does. That would be pretty funny if it was on the lowest setting.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No i dont have a torque adjuster on mines. I assume its that 1-5 setting on the gun that other people have but i don't. Its weird, i tired a lug nut with my gun and no go. Then i tried it with an IR gun and it came right off. Happen a couple times now where my gun doesn't stack up. I figure i rather get a diffrent stronger gun for the future i guess.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The Snap on impact i got with my original set lasted me about 1 year till it started loosing power. I decided to buy an Ingersol Rand impact as a backup while my snap on one was being repaired. That was about 8 years ago and im still using that same IR impact with absolutley no problems. The peice of crap snapon one has been collecting dust in my tool box ever since. I cant remember the exact model number for the IR one but it definatly wasnt one of the really expensive ones. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yea where do i get a torque stick for my lug nut. i need a 17mm at 80ft lb's that way i can finish it off since i need to torque them to 96ft-lb's

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
THIS ONE!!!!

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp/id/45,1015,261,862,311,955

I use that one at my shop. I wouldn't use anything else. 1000ft-lbs of torque!!! the QT is a little more, but its dead silent. I love mines.

I hope you have a damn good air compressor if you plan on running any of those for more than 10 seconds. No standard one would ever be able to put out enough air. We run 150psi to power ours at work. Small compressors won't be able to keep up that work load.

-Mike

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
Question:

How do torque sticks work?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now sure how they really work. Like the design but normally it stops withint 2-3 ft lbs of the torque spec of the stick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4434822725&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I just returned my gun set and got one of these. IR 244 gun used for a decent price. I dont know how the newer gen 244 compares with this 244 but the newer one is rated at 500ft lbs of torque. I figure mines might be at a 425ft-lb if not 500 as well. We will see how this IR pars up. Now for a impact rachet. Whats normal torque for these items?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
You should be most impressed with that impact gun. Make sure to oil it in the air intake and grease it through the tiny fitting in the rear center. All of those should make 450-600ft/lb torque. It really depends on air pressure and volume. Our shop has 175psi and uses 1" lines. Most places are closer to 125. For the wrench look for an ingersoll-rand that looks like this...

Those rock!

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Hajoca said:
Question:

How do torque sticks work?
They are an extension that flexes at a specific torque so the impact wrench can keep on hitting, but not tighten the nuts any further than you selected. I've thought about getting one for me as well just because my lazy ass would rather push a button on a power tool than to get up and pull out the torque wrench...I would have one in a heartbeat if I worked in a shop, but given I have a need perhaps 2 times a year, I'll keep using the torque wrench.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts