Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know if anyone can recommended a impact wrench. i was looking to purchase but had a hard time choosing so i was hoping someone in the forums has one the can recommend. I would be using it to remove the lug nut and maybe other easy diy's as they come along. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
corded, battery or compressed air?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The Milwaukee line is most catered towards automotive. The best attributes are that they are compact and pack a punch. They are quieter and smooth sounding than cheaper units. Right now the best casual brand imo. M12 has a lot of great tools and specialty tools you can move to that is focused on entry level fab and automotive.

M18 line is not too large of a selection but the most notable tools would be the larger impact wrench, mid torque impact wrench, angle grinder.

Id say start M12 impact. Then when you make enough money on side hustling automotive maintenance and repair you can build up to more M12 and ultimately M18 might be the future for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
15,304 Posts
Sorry I meant M18, not M12. I have a M12 but I tend to underestimate it a bit so I don't use it for hard fasteners like a lug nut. I use the M18 for it and it is money well spent. With tbr M18, I am more willing to do harder jobs.

I had a IR air impact gun but after leaving I gave it to my cousin for use in the shop. When his car got stolen it also got stolen.

It should be noted, it's more of the opposite. The M18 line has all the cool (bulky) tools while the M12 has just a bit less. Use both.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Battery powered tools that work are expensive
How about air tool?
Just picked one up @ HF for 19$ on clearance
Got a fuel line fitting to bust loose with it
Will it get the task done??

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
How about air tool?
As long as you got a air tank then almost any air tool is fine. What matters is the ergonomics (and overall quaility). I had a IR and it was great.

My old girl.

Ingersoll Rand 2130 1/2" Drive Air Impact Wrench, 550 ft-lbs Max Torque Output, 7000 RPM, Heavy Duty, Lightweight, Use for Changing Tires, Auto Repair, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UNR6...abc_128MHP95MD67ECXFJE2W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
720 Posts
You can save money by just using a drill or drill/driver to spin nuts and bolts, and use regular socket wrenches and torque wrench for cracking them loose and for final tightening.
I actually do this myself just to avoid having to unfurl any power cords or hoses.

Do not lubricate threads where a torque specification is intended to be used only with dry fasteners (such as all wheel nuts/bolts)!

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
You can save money by just using a drill or drill/driver to spin nuts and bolts, and use regular socket wrenches and torque wrench for cracking them loose and for final tightening.
I actually do this myself just to avoid having to unfurl any power cords or hoses.
They will do the job but I've held enough cheap drills to know that I would prefer the efficieny of a impact gun.

I'll make it simple. Would you rather use a very long breaker bar or a impact gun to install a wheel stud?

I've helped on using the breaker bar, pretty sure it took over an hour to do one... out of eight or sixteen. Corded Milwaukee impact gun did it in less than a minute.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think milwaukee it will be just gotta decide between m12 fuel or m18. I will have to review them both.

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think milwaukee it will be just gotta decide between m12 fuel or m18. I will have to review them both.
M18 for the big fasteners, M12 for the small fastners. They do both have their place.

·
イリジウム
14,129 Posts
I have a clone of an early IR 231. It's ok doing some ball joint swaps. I do rely on breaker bars more, but YT videos with Milwaukees look pretty good, zip axle nuts right off like it's nothing, would save me some grunt work for sure.

An air impact I'm eyeing:

A corded one some members use:

How about air tool?

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
So you would say m12 fuel for lug nuts and small bolts that won't come off with a regular wrench ex(brake changes)
M12 3/8" for the 17s and below, M18 1/2" for the 14s and above.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts