Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
イリジウム
14,176 Posts
Use a torque wrench's range as a guide. For example, 3/8"-drive typically goes to 80-100 lb/ft. And 1/2"-drive typically goes to 250 lb/ft.

Therefore, start using a 1/2"-drive breaker bar (like wheel lugs) when you get close to the upper range of the 3/8"-drive breaker bar.

Let's see, doing a search on "breaker bars" on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DURATECH-Flex-handle-Flex-Handle-Rotatable-Spring-loaded/dp/B08GC2S8NQ

Max torque as follows:
1/4" - 90 Nm (67 lb/ft)
3/8" - 268 Nm (198 lb/ft)
1/2" - 700 Nm (516 lb/ft)

Therefore keep the expected torque to about 50% of the rated maximum you should be fine, which come to the aforementioned approx. 80-100 for the 3/8"-drive and 250 for the 1/2"-drive breaker bars.

And wear safety goggles in case one breaks and the metal shatters. Note that break-away torque can be higher than installed torque!

I broke a Harbor Freight 3/8 breaker bar first use; the square sheared right off at the socket end.

The 1/2 hasn't breaker bar hasn't broken yet.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
15,548 Posts
  • M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring
    • Up to 1400 ft-lbs
    • More than plenty for almost all situations
    • This gives me confidence to remove bigger rusted fasteners (like knuckle to strut bolts)
  • M12 FUEL™ 3/8" Impact Wrench
    • Up to 117 ft-lbs
    • Great for smaller fasteners
    • It did struggle with removing my lug nuts (80 ft-lbs) so I always used my extendable 3/8" ratchet instead so due to this I underestimate it and prefer to use it for smaller fasteners
  • Ingersoll Rand 2130 Series Impact Wrench
    • Up to 600 ft-lbs
    • The 2130 while not the strongest impact wrench it always did the job well for what I used it for however...
  • Ingersoll Rand 2235TiMAX Series Impact Wrench
    • Up to 1350 ft-lbs
    • When I needed way more power the 2235TiMAX (or similar as I do not remember the model) was far better for the job. This is what my uncle had, this is what the school had, so due to this when I bought my first air impact wrench I bought the more affordable 2130 instead.
There are times a breaker bar is better than a impact wrench and I understand the fear of snapping a fastener. However, the ease of removing a fastener is well worth it but in particular there are a lot of times where you need instant and reliable nut busting power to "remove a nut before the component spins with it".

·
Registered
2020 SE
212 Posts
Ridgid mid torque Octane is beast for the price.

Has auto torque setting option that Milwaukee, DeWalt, Snap On, Matco, and Mac doesn't have. It's dead on accurate every time; the torque wrench clicks without any turning to avoid snapping wheel studs. It's also brushless.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ridgid mid torque Octane is beast for the price.

Has auto torque setting option that Milwaukee, DeWalt, Snap On, Matco, and Mac doesn't have. It's dead on accurate every time; the torque wrench clicks without any turning to avoid snapping wheel studs. It's also brushless.
What kind of torque variance are you getting using that method? Do you have a digital torque that reads relative spec?

All shops use the impact to install nuts. Then, the torque wrench comes out. By the indication that the torque wrench does not turn and clicks right away means that your at or above torque setting. So this means you could possibly be over torquing lugs.

Mathematically expressed by
Value is > 76ft lbs.

I’ve always torqued with the wrench rather an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
What kind of torque variance are you getting using that method? Do you have a digital torque that reads relative spec?

All shops use the impact to install nuts. Then, the torque wrench comes out. By the indication that the torque wrench does not turn and clicks right away means that your at or above torque setting. So this means you could possibly be over torquing lugs.

Mathematically expressed by
Value is > 76ft lbs.

I’ve always torqued with the wrench rather an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta be in and out in less than 30 minutes for customer satisfaction!

·
Registered
2020 SE
212 Posts
Gotta be in and out in less than 30 minutes for customer satisfaction!
Yeppers. I used this very same impact at a Toyota dealership. It was averaging 15-20 vehicles daily. Never had to add torque with torque wrench after using the auto torque setting.

I was working with someone using Snap On and let's just say I had add more torque because the lug nuts were loose.

I'm the type who followed torque specs. Try to over torque a 4Runner lug nut: I bet that won't end well 😆 83 ft/lbs and some reason not all lug nuts will click. The wheel studs are very soft material that likes to snap.

Anyway, go watch this impact on YouTube. It's interesting how it works.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've had great luck with my torque sticks. I get the Steelman ones. Wouldn't use one on a head bolt but more than good enough for lug nuts.

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
I've used torque sticks when I still worked at the shop. I might've used the torque wrench if I didn't have the stick. I use the torque wrench if I have it for my lug nuts.

·
Registered
2020 SE
212 Posts
Use air- using torque sticks indefinite. Only use torque wrench when Toyota reps were in the shop. 😆 Since we do have some Milwaukee people in here. I started at Wilde. Since the business traffic was mad crazy busy; I only used torque sticks. Rarely had issues except for one incident with a Harbor Freight 75 FT/LBS when couple lugnuts came off from a Tacoma. Had coworker use that torque stick and we hand torque next vehicle down and found out it was tool issue. So I went up to the 90 FT/LBS one and stopped the issue.

So least 5,000-7,000 vehicles with only using torque sticks during three year period. Yeah no issues again.

Went I went to battery usage then I hand torque it down.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE, 4 cyl
588 Posts
If you expect to be able to remove wheel lug nuts you want the most powerful ratchet you can find.
Sometimes they are put on very tight and battery operated devices do not work.
Suggest you look closely at the torque capability of what you want to buy.
Mine is a 550 ft pounds torque air operated which takes off 99% of the lug nuts.

I have run into a couple I had to use a 3 foot pipe on the end of a 1/2" ratchet to remove because the impact wrench would not.

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
There will always be something a impact gun can't do. So all you can do is struggle with a very big breaker bar or you take it up a notch with the impact gun purchase...

·
Registered
2020 SE
212 Posts
Especially with stripped lugnuts locks and overtightened lugnuts. A extended ratchet or breaker bar comes to play.

I had 3/8 600 FT/LBS Matco impact that would remove lugnuts. I miss that beast. I also had the bigger brother too- 1/2 1500 FT/LBS that broke suspension bolts with ease.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thankful for all the professionals here sharing their knowledge and experience.

YouTuber AvE is an engineer who seems to have maintained machines in the Canadian tar sands. He has some great teardowns & testing of tools; be warned that his language is not family-friendly.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts