Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this has been an interesting journey. I wanted to share to save you all the pain and expense in the future. (NOTE: Engine runs well)

Simply put, DO NOT ground out your oil sender to sweep your oil gauge to test if the gauge is working you will overheat the rod which melts the plastic and totals your gauge. (photo below)

Story in a nut shell.

The Oil gauge on a T100 show's low on the reading by the sender unit hole is too small. Some Thoughts on Oil Pressure Gauge showing low pressure

I destroyed two Oil Gauges in this process. I didn't know until it was too late :LOL: !

I saw youtube video showing how to test if your oil gauge was working properly, by grounding out the sender and seeing if it sweeps, because my gauge was showing lower than the usual low that T100s display. THIS fried the gauge. I didn't know yet but I thought it had something to do with me pulling the sender out which caused the gauge to completely die.

SO I bought another sender. I threw the old sender away like a moron thinking its dead, it may not have been and sure enough still nothing on the gauge but now the oil sender light isn't flickering, it's just coming on and off. My friend and mechanic said it must be the gauge after fixing the sender and harness. Sure enough the gauge was toast.

I got a new gauge and it worked but it was still unusually low. I moronically swept it again and I was sad to see the gauge dead again. I didn't want to take the cluster apart again unless i knew for sure that's what happened or if it was something else like wiring going out.

By some random chance I met a master technician buying a car from me at work. He told me you never swept those old toyota gauges and he promised me that's why my gauge was toast. After the inspired confidence, I opened that skank of an instrument cluster again and sure enough the oil gauge was no more.

I'm currently waiting for the next oil gauge. Once it arrives if it works, I will give Digio's suggestion a shot with drilling out the sender and see if that fixes the low reading on the gauge. I hope that all made sense. Let me know if you have questions.

I took pictures of the entire gauge, so you know what it looks like and see that the wiring got burnt but that wasn't what died. Sturdy gauges as long as we do not sweep!
Safety glove Gas Tints and shades Machine Room
Office equipment Gas Engineering Electronic device Machine
Material property Gas Technology Auto part Metal
Gas Machine Automotive lighting Auto part Wood

·
1997 T-100 bought Sept`02
1997 T-100 DX X-cab
171 Posts
Rylee, as I read your story it conjured up memories of a neighborhood kid around my age back when I was 12 yo. He kept tinkering with a chemistry set until he nearly burnt his parents house down!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rylee, as I read your story it conjured up memories of a neighborhood kid around my age back when I was 12 yo. He kept tinkering with a chemistry set until he nearly burnt his parents house down!! :rolleyes:
Fortune favors the bold! :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
12,899 Posts
A friend in HS (long long ago) decided to trim the trees for his dad with a chain saw, climbed up, got settled in and promptly cut the lim he was standing on, fell and broke both legs!

I rebuilt the transmission in my Willy's, 1st project as a 14 yr. old. All was good, reached in and shook the shifter, felt like it was in neutral, it started and lurched forward and wedged the jeep in the frame of the garage door. I had a gear in backwards so it was in 2nd. Had to pull it out with my old man's 47' Caddy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend in HS (long long ago) decided to trim the trees for his dad with a chain saw, climbed up, got settled in and promptly cut the lim he was standing on, fell and broke both legs!

I rebuilt the transmission in my Willy's, 1st project as a 14 yr. old. All was good, reached in and shook the shifter, felt like it was in neutral, it started and lurched forward and wedged the jeep in the frame of the garage door. I had a gear in backwards so it was in 2nd. Had to pull it out with my old man's 47' Caddy.
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts