Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I've recently bought a 93 corolla and did all the basic maintenance one does when you buy a used car. Besides keeping up on the maintenance, what modifications/add ons will yield better fuel economy?? First thing that comes to my mind is after-market headers (more air out, same fuel in). What do you guys think?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I fail to see how seafoam actually increases mileage... plus you can do the same with diesel or kerosene for fraction of the price.:rolleyes:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
but it foams up all nice and makes a lot of smoke! that must do something, right??1!?eleven

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Yeah... :p I've actually never put seafoam in any car I've worked with and probably never will. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Synthetic fluids, engine and tranny. Beyond that the things you can do vary a lot from car to car. Intakes help in some cases. Headers sometimes help, not always.

Keep your tires full. keep the air cleaner clean. Maybe use a hi-flo filter.

Sea foam doesn't improve mpg. It cleans injectors and restores mpg. But you want to know how toget better than factory mpg.

Basically anything you can do to reduce friction and restrictions. (except for exhaust, engines need back pressure, so it's a balancing act.)

If you want some ideas here is a link for a guy getting 32 mpg in a Ford Explorer. It's not a Corrola, but it can give you ideas.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137531

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Sea foam doesn't improve mpg. It cleans injectors and restores mpg.
so does gasoline what you get at the station. Modern gasolines are hosed with chemicals and detergents.Only real problem which influences gumming and intake dirt is EGR and PCV valves, however you really cant remove them.

As for headers and intakes, well they certainly wouldnt increase mpg.

All in all, measuring mileage without laboratory conditions will give you an answer that doesnt have any correlation with real life. Alot of influence is done by weather and driving conditions. Change in them will throw off your Mpg.

Also keep in mind, the more you pay for parts is away from the amount you cash for gas. 200Dollar intake would give you 200dollars more worth of gas if you keep it stock. So think how many liters of gas you can get with your money for mods and then think if its wise to invest.

·
CorollaCustomz.com
366 Posts
Fuel mileage doesn't get much better then a stock Corolla anyways :lol:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Flashmn said:
so does gasoline what you get at the station. Modern gasolines are hosed with chemicals and detergents.Only real problem which influences gumming and intake dirt is EGR and PCV valves, however you really cant remove them.

As for headers and intakes, well they certainly wouldnt increase mpg.

We don't completely agree on this. I can't say about the Rolla, but I've seen anumber of other vehicles on the road that do benefit from these. I will agree that not all cars see the benefits in this, but many certainly do. There is plenty of well documented matereial to support this.

All in all, measuring mileage without laboratory conditions will give you an answer that doesnt have any correlation with real life. Alot of influence is done by weather and driving conditions. Change in them will throw off your Mpg.

Again I can't completely agree. If you drive the same stretch day after day and the weather is cooperating, you can come up with a good average and see a change

Also keep in mind, the more you pay for parts is away from the amount you cash for gas. 200Dollar intake would give you 200dollars more worth of gas if you keep it stock. So think how many liters of gas you can get with your money for mods and then think if its wise to invest.
This is definately something to keep in mind. But I modified the air box in my PT cruiser to give me a lot better flow along with a K&N intake and I see both better performance and slightly better mpg. total cost was about $40.00 including the filter.

Reduce rolling resistance, reducing restrictions, reducing friction. All will help. but in some cars the result is negligable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts